Discussion: Live dev Q&A January

That’s it man!

Totally agree

1 Like

Where can I find this? I’ve been having trouble.

I don’t think we have done todays awnsers yet, but Novembers ones can be found here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/archives/live-dev-answers/215

1 Like

Agreed with all points. And that logbook popup should have no place in a flight simulator, be it a home desktop, commercial, or Level D. I am more than willing to trade it for the Press Any Key feature .

1 Like

One take away I had from that Q&A session concerns bug reporting. I am not claiming the following is never done, however it is not always done.

If the purpose of filing a bug report is to have the bug fixed, then, I suspect as much relevant information as possible would be of great use. In particular a detailed description of exactly what the issue is and the necessary steps to reproduce it. I see many posts concerning bugs that, while no doubt accurate and real for the person experiencing them, are not as clear as they could be for someone who was trying to troubleshoot the bug- through lack of detail given as to how to reproduce the bug.

I am not trying to cover for the devs here, nor do I want to diminish any case where this has been clearly done, yet there still seems to be confusion about the bug’s existence. However I suspect it may speed up the whole bug fixing timeline if every bug report was as detailed as possible.

Just a thought!

4 Likes

MS/Asobo are doing a great job. Loved the Sim from the very start (warts and all) and love all the ongoing improvements and new features. Great times ahead for many years to come. Cheers.

3 Likes

It did seem as though one of the devs had created the code for the popup at the end of a landing challenge, which is a more appropriate place for it, and then someone has decided that it would be a good idea, perhaps in the spirit of recycling, for part of that code to be re-used for every flight.

I’m with you, this type of screen would be more appropriate at the end of a level of a computer game and there should at least be an option to suppress it.

2 Likes

I really appreciate the devs taking time to answer our questions. I understand that the software is complex in ways I don’t even understand and that it will develop over a period of years. However, I’m disappointed by the lack of discussion on two issues in particular - the “coastline glitch” and the horizon line showing through terrain under certain conditions.

For a sim that champions the stunning visuals it produces, that these two issues have managed to run unchecked and unfixed for so long baffles me. Here is the loading screen for the St Barts landing challenge…

You’ll notice the clean coastline. Sharp, defined…looks normal. Now, here’s a screenshot of what it looks like when I load in…

St Barts is suddenly surrounded by waterfalls. It looks awful. This isn’t an obscure error in the terrain in a remote part of the world that most users will never see, this is every coastline on every flight under all conditions. The issue manifests itself in the core experience, right down to these featured landing challenges that even the most casual of simmers will try. It must be fixed as soon as possible, it’s completely immersion busting. I’d imagine it’s even worse in VR.

Secondly, the horizon-through-terrain nonsense which plenty has already been said about…

Again, an issue that crops up everywhere that you just can’t unsee. It detracts and distracts from the experience of flying into otherwise stunning locales such as Courchevel.

Please don’t get me wrong, I love the sim and I’m all for deeper systems, better flight dynamics, etc…but at the moment none of the problems with those things or their lack of implementation busts immersion like these two things.

4 Likes

I guess you have filed zendesk bug reports. Cheers

1 Like

DX12 for Xbox release is the priority. I suppose the entire coding team is working on it.

They’ve explicitly stated they have all kinds of teams. One of them is the engine team. So no, not the entire coding team is busy with the Xbox release.

Having 2 world updates coming up it’s kind of a naive statement anyway.

5 Likes

If the same people work of world updates as work on coding and fixing stuff, then I personally would rather have them stop the world updates entirely until next year and focus on fixing stuff first.

1 Like

Agree, in general the developers go pretty deep into programming details, DX12, ray tracing, new world updates, new ways to use Bing data, water masking etc. But when it comes to realism and technical details it is unsatisfactory.

• Icing effect problem most people are experiencing, no real answer on what is gonna be done.
  • Flight director lateral bar problem, no answer what is gonna be done or acknowledging the problem exists.
  • One of the Q&As the question about offset LDAs / ILSs was raised at the end, developers didn’t seem to know what this means or what the problem was, never heard anything from it since.
  • No clear answer / plan regarding low visibility / RVR simulation.

For someone more interested in realism and less interested in visual goodies, not a very constructive Q&A. Also a little worried by the answer why slipstream, P-factor, adverse yaw effects seem to be missing, “people wouldn’t understand why the aircraft is not going straight as they are used to in their car”, in FSX and even FS9 there was an option for this, its called auto-rudder. Please add a realistic mode and a game mode for realism or similar, please stop “dumbing” things down.

@Jummivana, is there any chance to focus a bit more on topics concerning realism and technical details in the future? Its very clear which way the simulator is progressing from a visual stand-point, world updates, VR, other new features etc. From a purely realism standpoint it is a bit of a haze, its not clear if problems are well understood, things are quickly being glossed over actually.

14 Likes

I guess that’s because they are developers, not pilots? :slight_smile: (some of them have limited experience I think)
Perhaps they could benefit from a pilot on the design team (if they haven’t already) and in the Q&A.

I think they said they are working with MeteoBlue on a formula to calculate the severity of icing?

Severity is not the only problem, the type of ice, the impact on performance, the areas it is building up, the way it looks, its all far from reality. I rather have no icing effect than the effects we have now, its more of a nuisance. Visually it looks like the aircraft has been parked outside all night in freezing fog.

1 Like

Ceb has a PPL. As have many in the dev team. They mentioned this in the previous Q&A.

I know, they got a license for MSFS, but I don’t think you know everything in such a short time. Or have the same feel for it as someone with more than a decade of experience. :slight_smile:

With a PPL you should be able to understand most technical questions raised I think, but yes there might be gap when it comes to airliners and IFR which could be bridged by someone with experience in that area.

3 Likes

Could be. Then again: if I see how many virtual pilots are more IFR capable (not certified) than many IRL pilots, it shouldn’t be much of a problem to get that knowledge.

1 Like