Discussion: Patch Version 1.14.6.0

Thanks.

But my 4 screenshots were all with the:
FS2020 Options, General, Display Mode = WINDOWED
All 3 FPS counters were showing approximately 30 FPS in all 4 screenshots.

I noticed that with:
FS2020 Options, General Display Mode = FULLSCREEN
The DEV FPS showed 30 .
So, I am still confused.

FS2020 DisplayMode = FULLSCREEN
FS2020 Dev FPS still shows 30 FPS.

I’m still confused.

EDIT:
You said undocked?

I still don’t understand.

Do you think it is a personal problem/deficiency in understanding?

So, there is not problem. The small difference between the FPS shown by the Dev mode and MSI Afterburner can be ignored. And you do not show a sim window that has been undocked and moved to another monitor.

No. If one of us was stupid it would be me. :slightly_smiling_face:
Undocked means you have clicked (for example) on the symbol between the minus sign and the X sign at the top right-hand corner of the VFR MAP. That will then make the VFR map another window, which you can also more to another monitor. It is in that case, when Afterburner would show the incorrect FPS.

If that does not explain it, sorry I have to give up.
Happy Flying

No, you do, very well.

Since I do not have another monitor , if I click it between as you said,
it does cause the Dev FPS= 14 , but with caution:
Afterburner = 14
Dev FPS = 14
Other = 30 I don’t know what called up this display.

Afterburner still agrees with Dev FPS.

Now, here is the $64,000 question.? also to @xGabe777x
All other displays showed FPS = 30.

What is my true FPS?

Sorry, just trying to determine the truth so I understand it.

Thanks for your patience.

My tip: always rely on the FPS indication of the Dev mode. It never incorrectly shows 2xFPS and a false indication e.g. 28 instead of 56 FPS is always noticeable to to eyes, especially if you are using TrackIR.
But that is only my objective opinion and should not cause a flagging.
:upside_down_face:

I understand, but you can see from my screenshots that FS2020 DEV FPS
is displaying different FPS.

Is that hard to see?

I just want to know which is correct and when is it correct and reliable.

Sorry, I do not see a signifiant difference.
Furthermore, the system just gave me a message that I should include many voices and perspectives in this particular topic - even though my posts have not yet been flagged. I must therefore retire - send me a personal message if you wish.

P.S. I do have life, I am not a paid shiller or a commercial 3rd party and I do not get any direct or indirect benefit from the commercial success of the sim.

As noted by others, the Developer FPS indication is correct and reliable. BUT as also noted by others,
it is a pretty intrusive window that it pops onto your rather limited display screen terrain.

Personally, I prefer to use the XBox Game Bar “Performance” option. You can adjust the transparency level, move it around wherever you want it, expand/contract the graph and it is far less intrusive. AND I haven’t noticed ANY deviations in its FPS indications from that provided in the Developer display.

Just sayin’…
:smile:

Thanks.

But I am ji askin’ …Which Dev FPS is correct?

Is that so much of a complicated answer?

This all started with:

I am just asking which is correct?
I have shown screenshots where DEV FPS shows different FPS.

I only use Windowed mode.
If it displays 2X FPS, then, I should and need to know.

Is that insane of me. I’m beginning to wonder. Maybe, I shouldn’t.

I purchased Navigraph and downloaded it from thier web site, navigraph.com, I think.

Just a regular install like any other application.

Nothing special or different for FS2020.

Loaded FS2020 and it was there. Charts plus Simlink.

I fly the WT CJ4 and got info from their Discord, Discord

I beieve it only shows one fps number. And that is the correct, underlying rate.

Best approach is to use MSi afterburner and if you have undocked windows, assume it is showing TWICE the actual rate.

I never use windows as I have LittleNavMap and/or Navigraph on a 2nd or 3rd PC and display. I have no use for ATC.

(I use Radar Contact on P3D. Still hoping we can get it working in MSFS … but not not holding my breath !)

If I open the weather window it is only for a few seconds, I then close it.

So Unfortunately I cannot be precise. All I know is back in the Beta stage, I thought that opening the VFR map window for example, seemed to “double the FPS”. So I declared myself a God to the Community ! :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

Then someone pointed out that the Dev mode FPS would actually show me that I was actually, deluded.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Fantastic effort with this update, congratulations! Went from 20 to 30 FPS in major airports with Ultra settings.

I only use Windowed mode, too. Just ran some tests on my system to try to duplicate the basis (I think) of your question. Frankly, I think I might be lost too, because I failed.

Regardless of how many additional windows I opened with the Developer FPS running I.E. Weather, ATC, etc. the FPS held constant and did not change at all.

I only have one monitor/display and don’t use an iPad, etc. So, I can’t test what happens to the FPS indication, if I try to drag those windows to another display.

That might be at the heart of your question.
Apparently, there is some little clickable spot that allows you to drag those windows over to another monitor that possibly results in the FPS differences?

I also don’t use MSI, so I guess I’ve wandered into a zone that I probably should have stayed out of…
:grimacing:

You are correct. The accepted knowledge that opening another window such as VFR will cause the MSI Afterburner FPS to double is incorrect. Dev FPS also does not double.
Note: I have only one display. That may apply to additional displays.

“use MSi afterburner and if you have undocked windows, assume it is showing TWICE the actual rate” is incorrect. I displayed the VFR screen on my display. Afterburner did not double the FPS and also always matched the Dev FPS.

“Only shows one FPS number”, I assume referring to the DEV FPS, is incorrect.
This is what has been bothering me.

It finally landed in my thick skull that there is not one Dev FPS number.

There are more than one and it depends on your:

1. ​FS2020 Options, General “Display Mode”
  2. FS2020 Options, General “Full Screen Resolution”
  3. Your Monitor/Display “Display” Resolution
  4. Your Monitor/Display “Desktop Size” Scaling Resolution

Note: This is in reference to a Nvidia Graphics Card.

From my previous post:

SUMMARY
===================================================>
===================================================>

For FS2020 Options, General:

• “Display Mode” = Windowed
  • "Full Screen Resolution = 3840X2160
  1. Monitor set for 2K 2160x1440, FS Render = 80 (2048x1034), FPS = 30
  2. Monitor set for 2K 2160x1440, FS Render = 100 (2560X1293), FPS = 30
  3. Monitor set for 4K 3840x2160, FS Render = 80 (3072x1578), FPS = 20
  4. Monitor set for 4K 3840x2160, FS Render = 100 (3840x1973), FPS = 13
    Note. Monitor set = Resolution & Desktop Scaling

For FS2020 Options, General:

• "Display Mode = Windowed
  • "Full Screen Resolution = 2160X1440
  1. Monitor Resolution & Desktop Scaling = 2K 2160x1440,
    FS Render = 80 (2048X1152), Dev FPS = 28
  2. Monitor Resolution & Desktop Scaling = 2K 2160x1440,
    FS Render = 100 (2048X1152), Dev FPS =30
  3. Monitor Resolution & Desktop Scaling = 4K 3840X2160,
    FS Render = 80 (2048X1152), Dev FPS = 30
  4. Monitor Resolution & Desktop Scaling = 4K 3840X2160,
    FS Render = 100 (2560X1440), Dev FPS = 30

Screenshot - 2k Monitor, FS Scaling =100

4K Monitor, FS Scaling = 100
Note: Forum will not let me upload the 4K screenshot.

• 2K screenshot = 4.82 MB FPS = 29
  • 4K screenshot = 11.92 MB FPS = 13

Forum has a max size of 5 MB for uploads.
But the picture looks exactly the same. (maybe the monitor is upscaling. I don’t know)
It just has a lower FPS.

There is still options that I don’t understand on Nvidia Control Panel.

1. The options for scaling by GPU or Display
  2. The Override Scaling Mode set by Games and Programs
  3. What FS2020 Options, General change Options on the Nvidia Control Panel.

Hmm…
This thread has gone on for so long with so many replies, that I can’t recall, if I ever knew, if you tried just setting your Nvidia Control Panel to the defaults?

My general philosophy regarding MSFS is that if you run everything as close to the “stock” default settings as possible, you will pretty much minimize those so-called “self-inflicted” issues/questions.

The only exceptions I have made to this on my set-up is for FPS control. Through much testing I have found that my FPS sweet-spot is 25FPS. That is to say, I can maintain 25FPS at all times through my flight - take-off, in-flight, and landing. Unfortunately, MSFS does not allow me to select 25 FPS in its defaults.

So, I turn off VSYNC in MSFS and turn on VSYNC and select 25FPS in the NVidia Control Panel. That is all that I have changed from the NVidia Control Panel original default settings.

This really has little or nothing to do with your original question…but I wanted to put it out there, because I think this solution is proving to work for a lot of other people. It might work for you…

1 Like

Ummm…that just seems too simple? That I have to try it. :wink: :100: :+1: Cheers!

Still got major stuttering and CTD, this is becoming beyond a joke

By any chance are you at a airport that is photogrammetized or going by one when it happens…I know I have major problems when doing that…I even shut off photogrammetry in settings

That’s probably the best advice I have taken that worked to the point where I don’t need to go further…Thanks for your post and I hope others at least try if it helped me. :100: :+1: :+1:

I have always done as you suggest.

i9-9900K, 64GB, GTX 1669 TI, M.2 MVNe PCIe Drive

FS2020 Options,General:

• Display Mode = Windowed
  • Full Screen Resolution = 3840X2160
  • ULTRA
  • V-SYNC = On
  • Frame Rate Limit = 30 FPS
  • Render Scaling (Rendering Res (3840X1973) = 100

And that was all. No other settings changed from the defaults.

Dev FPS = 12.5
Afterburner = 12
Other (top right) = 12

The posts saying all about the double true FPS inspired me
to start this investigation for my own understanding.

I used to get from 14 to 24 FPD before the last WU and SU (updates).
Now I get from 7 to 14 FPS.

So, I know it seems like, “This thread has gone on for so long with so many replies”,
and it has.

But we can use FS2020 as a “Simulation” and try to understand it or we
can use it as an arcade game.

Right now, this configuration flies well. It’s graphics are smooth and the WT CJ4 handles responsive .

I, now, have to reduce the graphics settings to get my FPS back up to
a level that is flyable.

That’s it in a nutshell!

Obviously you are all over this thing…

Find the frame rate you like (I’d like to be able to get up to at least 30 some day) , “lock and load”, then adjust those graphics settings to levels that you can live with, while ensuring that your GPU and CPU can sustain that preferred FPS during 100% of your flight time.

For those of us who are primarily simmers, this is all actually kind of fun, I think!

If you have any doubts about me, I tried a “Landing Challenge” shortly after MSFS’s first release - once! I’ve never returned. Racking up points just doesn’t do it…

1 Like