Discussion + Poll: Sim Update 10 (1.27.21.0)

I use NVCleaninstall to install my drivers as well. I use DDU to uninstall them.
I never install the GeForce Experience. Just a clean driver is all I need.

1 Like

Yes.

And it is reflected strangely via METAR.

For example, I just took off from KFLG and the World Map showed 0/0. When I got in the cockpit, I opened the METAR window and it showed 00000KT.

However, as I taxied past the windsock it was blowing ~210Ā° at 5 knots.

Once I took off, got settled into my climb, I checked METAR again and it showed 01003KT.

Something is not right here.

Unfortunately I have not solved it yet and the updated mods havenā€™t helped. Strange because the mouse wheel works for the cockpit instruments and all other camera views.

Well not entirely true. In some countries (Sweden for example) you can have night qualification without IFR, that is VFR night.

Same here.

I took those vaunted DX 12-friendly studio drivers off after 5 minutes. Terrible. I have a 3080ti and 64G RAM. Microstutter Flight Simulator 20-ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– -20.

Went right back to the last game-ready set (ā€œSpider-Manā€). I do wonder when these next drivers will be released. I hope they donā€™t try to skip over supporting all those who fought for a 30-series card in the last two years. Iā€™d better see some tangible improvements.

2 Likes

I have just done some test flights with the L-39C Pipsqueak over Reno (and screen shosts) in a fast low flight to remind the Asobo team to apply their very successful performance optimizations to the Reno Air Race mode as well.
However, in doing so, I found out that I there is no reason to complain anymore, which was not the case immediately after SU10 was released.
Did you still applied optimizations after the release date ?

Iā€™ve noticed some interesting performance changes in SU10, both for the worse. Everything was amazing in SU9. I used to run Ultra with about 280 LOD and would get between 50-60FPS. Now Iā€™ve had to drop to 200 LOD and I still take a performance hit.

Computer specs are 5600X, 3070, 32GB, Win10

If I use DX11, my CPU is running at 30% utilization and GPU is at 99%. FPS is 48
If I use DX12, my CPU is running at 50% utilization and GPU is at 5%. FPS is 40

Why is my GPU being maxed out in DX11 when I thought the CPU is supposed to be the bottleneck? Why is my GPU barely being touched in DX12? I also get bad stutters and weird ghosting effects if I pitch sharply or wig-wag the wings.

Can anyone think of a culprit of why GPU usage is so drastic between DX11 and 12?

There is more in this world than nvidia. We AMD users have noticed 8GB - 12GB depending on settings. And plenty of us have 16GB RAM on our cards (6800XT, 6900XT etc.)

My SU10 experience with DX12 is lovely and iā€™m never going back. With a few hours in, iā€™ve got settings at HIGH and 4K60 screen doingā€¦ 60fps. Some dips but not a lot, or by many frames. Also using 5800X3D processor. Lets see you stack some L3 cache, Intel.

Also tested same config with 240Hz 1440p screen, and got 90fps. Not as nice looking though.

Considering that this software is ā€˜nvidia optimisedā€™ iā€™m quite content.

1 Like

Maybe I should switch over to a full AMD build and part ways with Nvidia/Intel.

1 Like

Too many CTD.Sim is unflyable for more than 20 minutes at a time. I already tried everything. Is there going to be a hot fix?

1 Like

I have an all AMD buildā€¦5800X Processor, 6900XT graphics card, 64 GB RAM and ROG Strix x570E- gaming on a 55" 4K TV.

I get 45fps (limited by Afterburner**) with everything on Ultra, in heavy built up areas, low level and performance is subjectively silky smooth.

My spouse has exactly the same system, but a 3080Ti in place of my 6900XT. Their performance is about 7 or 8 FPS lower on average, with noticeable regular stutters.

It seems to me gamers have ā€œalwaysā€ gone for Nvidia becauseā€¦wellā€¦ itā€™s Nvidia.

If a few more people broke the so-called traditional mold they might find thereā€™s a pleasant surprise waiting.

**I found locking at 45fps was best by experimenting with Afterburner. If I let it run free, the FPS fluctuates between about 43 and 52, but itā€™s nowhere near as smooth. Locking the framerate to a max value smoothed things out a lotā€¦Iā€™m pretty thrilled with overall performance.

1 Like

My main issue with AMD was the graphics drivers in the past.Most games are Nvidia sponsored and probably still is. One of my first cards was an R9 Fury X and that was way better than my first Nvidia card.
Intel/Nvidia has been my staple for years. Way more stable than my older AMD build.
Looks like AMD has gotten a lot better.

Well, SU10 looks and feels amazing, if only I could enjoy it without random CTDā€™s due to my ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 oc video card ā€˜apparentlyā€™ being ā€˜overclockedā€™ (This is my brand-new pop-up msg at crash). Well, the ā€˜ocā€™ isnā€™t me fiddling with it, its factory clocked. So now ONCE AGAIN! I have to wait on a driver from NVIDIA and I can say with 100% certainty that this is my absolute LAST product I am buying from ASUS. But having said that, Iā€™m stuck with the entire ASUS ROG build for a decade to come. At $6500au, I simply canā€™t pic a better setup and have to just wait it out, again. :frowning:
And as for the new DLSS, it has made my glass cockpits almost unreadable due to ā€˜fuzzyā€™ numbers/letters - this is on hi-qual setting in DLSS. Iā€™m stumped as to why all this is happening in a $200 game/sim, 2 years down the trackā€¦

1 Like

Update to my POI issue. Seems the Jayshrike, which Iā€™ve had during SU9, now shows by default. Just a simple matter of turning if off in the Jayshrike settings of the toolbar.
Now you see it, now you donā€™t

Truth is Iā€™ve only used the Jayshrike for my helo. The Stearman was cool and another plane Iā€™ve just started flying. Modern CVN is enough room to land the Stearman w/o a tailhook.

really wowed by SU10.

1 Like

Has anyone tried to set CPU priority to ā€œRealtimeā€ for msfs.exe file? I tried this and saw some performance gain. But I read that it`s not advice to set priority to this option, as it would harm the cpu.

Only idea,

this kind of problem as time related, points probably to HW problem, maybe overheating of some components. Try lower some graphics settings and also monitor some temperatures if you can.

I had better results with an older GRD 512.59 release than SD 517.40.

1 Like

If I could say after while to weather,

really PERFECT! After some days of tests and also here in Slovakia (todays very bad weather) all is fantastic. Bravo devs!

1 Like

Look ut up.

Itā€™s simply motion interpolation creating new frames in between the real ones.

Extreme settings create the ā€œSoap Operaā€ effect. Aka ā€“ feels like 120 fps !

On a Oled or Samsung FALED, Dejudder increases 24 or 30 fps movies/dramas to 60 fps or hz.

Deblur will increase 60 or 50 hz stuff to 120 hz.

But there are 10 stages for each. So you can balance artefacts and blurring (if too much) ā€¦ with smoothing out lower-framerate contentā€¦ which on an Oled is exaggerated because of its super-low latency.

So as ling as you donā€™t use Game mode, it works for games in exactly the same way.

I actually prefer to lock at 60 fps and use Motion Smoothing on topā€¦ thsn using G sync if tge FPS is between 6p and 90. I think it looks better snd allows you to increase settings and/or reduce the strain on your PC.

For MSFS, the same is true at 30 fps. It is better locked at 30 with Smoothing, than VRR between 30 and 90ā€¦ as itā€™s mainly between 30 and 60 anyway.

If I ever get 60 minimum all the time, I would lock it at 60 and smooth as well.

ā€œTrue 120 fpsā€ is obviously betterā€¦ but that is a long way off if you want the sim to look nice in 4K.

Completed two flights (4 hours) without restarting and the perfomance stayed the same with no degradation finally this is the most wanted feature I hoped in SU10

2 Likes