Discussion + Poll: Sim Update 6 (1.20.6.0)

Your screenshots clearly show you are overloading the CPU. Dial back the load until you see that limited by main thread message go away. Release as many CPU intensive options as required to get your primary core back down to 80% max. Until you get that handled, all the rest is moot.

2 Likes

Same, 85.72 GiB

2 Likes

I’m not the original poster, but we both have PC’s. You’ll have to check out the thread. Cheers. :slight_smile:

ha ha I’m friends with Nitricpyro in real life. He recently helped me fix a laptop issue and as payment I bought him the F14 Tomcat. Nice to see him enjoying it.

1 Like

ctd around Washington dc all the time

Known bug and it’s been reported. There is a work around.

KADW - Andrews - CTD Analysis by Community contributions - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

I cant even load Ronald Reagan or even get near it, Dulles fine but dont go ESE

1 Like

why is my update 85.62GB, when others have noted much less GB to update to SU6?

Clouds are worse than before SU5/6

3 Likes

Probably because the installer is pointing to the wrong folder. This has come up a few times, but there’s been no explanation why some see this, and not others.

I’ve never had this issue myself, and the installer has always pointed to the correct folder. For me that is “D:\Flight Simulator”, and it contains the following two folders:

D:\FLIGHT SIMULATOR
├───Community
├───Official

As long as the installer points to the folder containing those two folders it should be fine.

SU6 has been a complete disaster.

1. The update itself was a nightmare to download, requiring an uninstall of the sim and a reinstall from the ground up.
  2. Since SU6 I haven’t been able to make a flight of more than a couple of minutes without a crash which reboots my PC even in so called Safe Mode (with one exception in the JU52 which I had to end prematurely for other reasons).

Before SU6 I don’t think I ever even had a CTD frrom Aug 2020 onwards. Its that bad I think I will have to try Xplane again :frowning:

I think the whole FS2020 was developed on a 1080. It is fanatastic performance. We had a direct comparison a year ago to a 2080S and a 3090. The 1080 had better fps then the 3090 !!!

greets

1 Like

Well, on my screen they look magnificent! But it is always room for improvement, i guess :slight_smile:

I did some further investigations. Result is, that the one and only frame rate killer is the settings LOD=400. I did a check ride with 200, like SU5, and had no problems in KDFW. 30 frames, vsync locked. from time to time micro stutters, but niot a lot. I can deal with it. When I am over mountains and the weather is good I will tune LOD to 400. In cruise level this isn´t really a problem …

greets

My update was 82GB on the standard edition. Can’t understand why it’s so large. I have MSFS on a separate M2 drive.

Not this again. There is no limitation on RAM usage put on the sim. I’m not going to bother proving it again, but you can do it yourself, just go into some high density airport in a complex plane and watch for yourself what the memory does. You won’t even have to turn the plane on. They may in fact have found some efficiencies which means they don’t need as much, but it’s not a hard coded limit.

2 Likes

Loosing over half my fps with a flight more than 2 hours, arrived at LPPR from EGCC with around 20fps. Quit to main menu, loaded in at LPPR same gate, time, weather, 53fps. Using FBW a320n.

hi everyone
just launched a simulator and he suggested I upgrade through store
checked the update and it appeared. downloaded but version remained 1.20.6.0
then when he launched the simulator again, he suggested updating 23.4 GB

WATCH OUT … ALSO POST ON SIM DELETING ITSELF AFTER THIS UPDATE

Can you believe all this is happening …

this afternoon I went into the simulator. everything was normal and did not remove anything from the folder
maybe some new updates have appeared?
interestingly, the installation file was overwritten in the store but the version remained 1.20.6.0