KADW - Andrews - CTD Analysis by Community contributions

By know, most know that there is a Bermuda Triangle near Andrews, and if you fly into it, you many suffer a CTD.

This is intended to be a Discussion thread (NOT a Bug report thread) where the community can discuss the issue, and contribute their experience when flying in this area - In the hope that we can figure out why some seem to have this issue, while other may not.

To kick off, it would seem the 1st step might be to better define “NEAR” Andrews.

I have attempted to do this by flying towards Andrews from all direction at a fixed 2000ft, and plotting on LNM, where the CTDs occur.

It is not random - In fact it is very repeatable and very defined.

andrews_CTD.pln (4.9 KB)

Note: This Plot was done with the aircraft flying at 2000ft
A higher altitude may well INCREASE the size of this area, to include, for instance, the nearby Washington Monument etc etc
The question now might be - What is at the CENTER this almost circle, that “May” be causing this issue.

Running MSFS at Minimum settings, and OFFLINE (ie No Bing data), and rolling cache cleared, does NOT stop the CTDs when entering this area, so its would seem NOT to be anything coming from the MS servers.

Something in Community folder … NO - Empty Community folder still has these CTDs

(Edit) USA World Update – removal of USA World update makes no difference, still the same CTD in this area

BUT now we have a definite CTD area defined, maybe the community can try flying into this now Defined area at 2000ft , and report if they CTD or not.

If some do, and some don’t, that would be very valuable information,

It also did not occur before SU6 –

EDIT: Note, for temporary fix ONLY bldo010.cgl needs to be removed

UPDATE 10/28/2021

Asobo state they have this fixed, and that fix will be in SU7

6 Likes

What aircraft were you using when you had the CTDs? I have had CTDs when using the Husky since the update but not with other aircraft. Never had a CTD before SU6.

I was using the Asobo C172 Steam, but had the same effect with other GA planes, as well as the DeLorean Car !!! (so I do not think it was triggered by any Nav instruments in the C172, as the DeLorean has none !!)

Uses a slow GA plane to get better accuracy of where the CTDs were occurring.

@N6722C On a personal level, thanks for documenting this so I know now what area to avoid.

It would be great if we had a TFR NOTAM available somewhere, to include such bulletins as your post :grin: and advise everyone of areas where it is currently “not safe to fly”.

5 Likes

crash moving DevCam from Washington Natioals over the NavyYard torwards Andrews, about 500ft altitude.

Settings on ULTRA, so might be that some stuff from KADW or the area have been loaded at that time already

1 Like

Yep, can confirm a reproducable ctd around KIAD, KDCA, Washington.
Eventviewer always shows the same error every time, ucrtbase.dll

Can someone escalate this to the dev team? Its quite „gamebraking“.

I have. CTDs too without USA WorldUpdate.

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 1.20.6.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: ucrtbase.dll, Version: 10.0.19041.789, Zeitstempel: 0x2bd748bf
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000409
Fehleroffset: 0x000000000007286e
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x167c
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d7c8c2397ec237
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Berichtskennung: b887a029-7cfa-4230-b730-a125ccadddf9
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

Has someone already Zendesked it?

I also just tried flying to KADW from the south in the default C172 with steam gauges to see if I could replicate the problem. At about 10,000 feet and about 2 nm from KADW I also had a CTD. I saved a crash report and will Zendesk it.

Submitted to Zendesk. Never had a CTD before Sim Update 6.

1 Like

Tried to test your findings. I decided to start at Regan (KDCA) and I get CTD at spawning. Regardless of normal or safe mode. I have nothing in my community folder.

1 Like

Bug reported and has been logged:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/pc-ctd-both-safe-mode-and-normal-location-specific-washington-dc-mall/464127

1 Like

Awesome, thanks. :slight_smile:

It does not seem to be plane related, but instead more Scenery related.

(1) If you park your plane at KIAD, and take a DRONE, and fly into the circular NO FLY area, the movement of the drone will cause a CTD, at the same location and altitude that the plane would have done.

(2) The Circle shrinks with altitude - at 30,000 ft, you can fly through the center of the CTD zone, and not CTD

(3) At 2000ft the radius if the circle is about 5nm
At 10,000 the radius is about 3.5 nm
At 30,000 ft (5nm) the radius is zero (ie NO CTD)

This would seem to indicate that the CTD is within a “Slant Range” of about 5nm of a center point, which makes sense.

If you get within 5nm slant range of the Center where the issue is, you get a CTD.

The problem is then, how do you view that point in the scenery, as both a plane or a drone, taken to that location to look at the scenery, will cause a CTD.

I know nothing about Scenery development, but
(1) maybe someone who does, can figure out a way to view this center area.
(2) Maybe a Scenery Mod, to remove everything and flatten this center area (with say Grass or Concrete), would stop the CTDs ?

I would be happy to have a big Grass Circle there, and no CTD, until Asobo can fix the issue.

KADW-Clear_Zone

2 Likes

Are you PC or X-Box ? (I am PC)

This is Different to what I experience.
I can spawn anywhere outside the 5nm radius - ie I can spawn at KDCA, and then fly, or slew to any altitude, and not get a CTD.

If I fly “OR SLEW” into the Circular zone, at an appropriate altitude, it will CTD, whether I am flying or slewing.

Same. I can spawn near this area (KIAD or KDCA) but as soon as i drone to close to it, CTD.

Saw this earlier, seems interesting. just tried to spawn in on the ground at KDCA, CTD right away. frustrating!

Could it be LOD related? so that a higher LOD will preload the CTD-Area maybe? i have 200LOD and can spawn at both airports near there, KIAD and KDCA.

It seems that some can spawn OK at KDCA, while other cannot.

So what makes these player different from each other ?

X-Box / PC ?
Win 10 / Win 11
Nvidea / AMD
???

CAP patrol away refueling, leaving TFR unprotected.

1 Like