Discussion + Poll: Sim Update VII (January Build 1.21.18.0)

What is the “installation folder” to delete left files from manually ??

I never really thought (only hoped) I would say this but since Sim Update 7 I have had no CTD at all, on Xbox. I turned Live Weather on and now seemingly can fly with any plane, anywhere, without CTD. I do hope it stays this way! Live Weather in general also looks much better than before, no more clouds on the ground, fog looks real. The whole experience for me has been glorious since the update, and now I only hope this will be the case going forward, for the majority of people. The sim is definitely on the right track now.

1 Like

Extremely disappointed with this update. It has ruined the live weather completely, no need to expand on that here. Well documented in the weather section.

2 Likes

One thing new: flickering of the background in the main menu and even when I strated a flight at EHAM with the default KLM 78X.

The other old thing not fixed: Drone view slow rotation during a flight.

This could be insanely far from the truth, I could sound totally cray right now, but I’ve only noticed that issue after a long flight. Is it possible that the effect comes from the curvature of the earth? XD
I know it sounds crazy but the earth curves more than you think. I think it’s 8 inches lower per mile!

I agree, I have the same issue now as well.

Sometimes there are files in /Oficial/OneStore folder that end in .001 or some other number. These are typical leftovers from previous install attempts and block new downloads. Sometimes I get downloads fixed by just deleting all those files.

1 Like

Sounds good – don’t want to be deleting incorrect files !!! :wink:

I’ve never seen any of these but will watch for them.

Luckily, I’ve never had an install attempt or blocked downloads.

After a clean total reinstall for SU6 I was hoping that the “emergency patch” would work straight away.

Silly silly me, emptied Community folder and was able to start a flight, put back all my addons and the flight loading screen hangs… left it 20mins at 95% but wouldnt load.

Eventually narrowed it down after 4 restarts to the plane, updating A320 and now it works. Annoyingly I had thought it was AIG.

So I would say to get the patch working took me the best part of 4 hours.

Small point of note here, the fact I had to load so many times annoyed me again that the World map only saves your flight IF you complete the flight… like the most bizarre logic ever, save it when I go in and out of the screen! And its not alphabetical but ok I will stop digressing!

So tried to start up the A320 and it seems my Thrustmaster Airbus control yoke has somehow lost its mappings for starter switches, another 15-30mins trying to reconfigure and recalibrate using MSFS options and FBW A320 calibrate page.

Finally got away from LGW (with no AIG traffic yet) and apart from the panning bug (why wasnt this in the emergency patch!) the sim is running nicely (although no other aircraft around), I particularly like the low level mist/atmosphere effects and the clouds in general look really good now, I liked seeing high altitude clouds.

I got up to FL390 on the way to LEBL and all seemed to be going well until I noticed that the way the mouse wasnt registering clicks on the FMS, the overhead panels and a few other locations. What I found that helped was pausing ALT TABBING out of MSFS and then back in, clicking furiously until they started working again.

While I was trying to get clicks registering again I accidentally clicked the #2 ENGINE STARTER switch to OFF shutting down the engine in midflight.

The plane started descending and telling me to land ASAP! I google how to restart an engine midflight but it was in XPLANE and the steps I tried didn’t work in FBW A320, not sure if it was me but couldn’t get it restarted.

I ended up doing a 1 engine landing at LFLX Châteauroux-Centre “Marcel Dassault” Airport - Wikipedia. This was quite interesting because I have never done this type of approach. I managed to use ATC to request a landing but there was no other traffic at the airport (apart from some GA planes parked) so it was straight in. I thought it would be good to have a MAYDAY or PAN PAN built into ATC for emergencies.

When I landed there was no Ground ATC so I immediately had a blank ATC panel with no way to request parking or even to takeoff again. Not sure whether this is by design or a bug.

All in all it was an incredibly frustrating because there is so much quality and beauty in this sim but the overall experience (for airlines anyway) is poor and is not “as real as it gets”.

What really worries me is updates are not optional (probably wise) so no matter how stable we think we have our sims we are 1 start up forced update from heartache.

We have come along way in 14 months but it feels like we are another 14 months from getting anything remotely as capable as XPlane or even P3D.

I do hope I am wrong though!

2 Likes

Mmm!
Had to do also a full reinstall because of a MS Store bug not allowing to reinstall, neither XBox app. After that, I lost all the about 40 airlines installed in AIG even if it was outside the Community folder and now FBW dev last version had black screens. So I don’t know how many hours I took to make it all work but over one day of work time and AIG is not yet as it was before…

Well, after a rough upgrade to 1.21.18.0 (had to reload the PC from an image 2 days prior…twice), the first BSOD occured at 92% of 151GB and caused some issues upon reboot, hence the 1st restore. The second attempt to upgrade FS2020 also died at around 85% of a 51GB download, so I restored a second time with the same image. I tried to upgrade again but FS stated that the destination drive was unavailable which, it was available. So I deleted MS Store and reinstalled it and, the upgrade finally worked. Now the performance is pretty darn good compared to the last version and in VR, have the image quality set to high, very smooth. The upgrade process needs to be looked at.

|Processor|Intel(R) Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz|
|Installed RAM|32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)|
GTX 1080

It’s worth remembering that MS only ever allows one copy of a licence and the store can easily be confused by an iso download as the indexing won’t match physically on the disk.

The failsafe cure is to uninstall sensitive programs before creating the iso and then cleaning your drive (not just reformatting) be careful to convert gpt (or mbr if desired) after clean.

OK… Having spent a lot more time with this build, my opinion is as follows:

Downloading: No problem other than the BS caused by the new version of the MS Store and having to use the never-to-be-sufficiently-cursed Xbox app when I DO NOT HAVE AN XBOX.

Stability: BIG decrement. Prior to this update, the sim has always been smooth as a baby’s butt for me and hardly any CTDs Now, when I hit the “Fly Now” button, I get VERY PRONOUNCED and long-lasting slide shows of the external view of the plane, with sound cutting in and out. About 1/2 the time, the game CDTs at this point. When the flight actually does load, it now CTDs about 50% of the time when on final approach, despite no issues along the way for hundreds of miles before (at least once the flight-loading slide show ends). This really sucks.

OTOH, the TrackIR issue does seem fixed with the Asobo planes at least. Prior to this build, with Asobo planes, TrackIR would only turn off if I looked WAY away from the windshield. This no longer happens. Haven’t tried the PMDG DC-6 yet, however. In that thing, TrackIR didn’t work at all in the last build even when looking straight ahead, and PMDG was utterly uninterested in figuring out why their product was so vulnerable to the TrackIR issue. “It’s an MSFS issue, not our problem” is what I got from them. Of course, IMHO the DC-6 is abandonware as it hasn’t been updated since July 2021, so what should I expect?

Maybe you should expect PMDG or Track IR to fix it and not MS/Asobo. The marketplace is exactly what it says on the tin and no matter what PMDG say their product has to work with MSFS and not the other way around.

PS. I suggest resetting the rolling cache for your other troubles.

1 Like

I did not post this in here, but they won’t let me post to “what did you do in MSFS today” lol, want to squash any negative info on there. The reality is this is what I did today.

I begged everyone “Buy the Steam version!”, I have had nothing but pain with MS Store over the years! Even formatting a disk isnt enough if you install on a 2nd disk, it really is a nasty implementation. Steam has been very reliable. I only reinstalled because I installed some addons that hacked the main packages and I couldnt remember how to fix. I was also getting 1000s of errors in the console during flight loadup, but it turns out that even after reinstall these errors are still there and must be related to AIG or other Addons.

I think the error logs are a pretty big issue, there should be a way to trace which Addon each one comes from and also to ignore them so that next time it loads it doesnt spend all that time logging and validating sim objects that you already know work ok. Even P3D had this and it massively improved startup time when using lots of slightly iffy or older addons (AIG!)

The MS Store version has been trouble free for me, and I have always installed the sim on my second drive.

2 Likes

Each version has its pros and cons.

When the MS Store version works, it works fine. Everything should be just easy and work flawlessly. However, as many have found out, this version requires a lot of difference apps and services to all be working properly in order for it all to work. If one piece of the intricate puzzle fails, nothing works. And there seems to be a growing number of people experiencing these issues.

The big advantage for Steam is you don’t need to have all these loosely connected different apps (Store, Xbox, digital rights mgmt, etc) that are all required to work flawlessly in order to get an update and use the sim. You don’t have a Rube Goldberg machine between you and flying. You have Steam and MSFS and it just works. And of course, you don’t have locked-down stuff on your hard drive due to the MS store protection system. You can move your MSFS install (main files) from drive to drive using Steam like any other game in your library. Content folder is a touch more involved, but the same as using the MS Store version.

On the flip side, many have experienced issues buying marketplace content (myself included). You go to the in sim marketplace, select something, and it takes you to Steam for the payment. You pay, it bounces you back to the sim, and you get a “Purchased failed” notification. Your money has been taken, but you don’t get what you bought. Steam support can’t help you, as the transaction went through successfully on their side. MS support can’t help you, as they don’t have visibility on Steam purchases. That leaves you with filing a ZenDesk ticket and hope that it doesn’t take 6 weeks before you get a reply. And hopefully that reply doesn’t tell you that you have to talk to Steam or MS support, sending you into an endless support loop.

And of course, many folks who play on PC also have an Xbox. And having the Steam version means that it’s not cross-play so they have to buy it again, and add-ons aren’t transferable.

Personally though, despite these drawbacks, I’m glad I have the Steam version.

2 Likes

Ouch I have never had that experience, marketplace has worked fine for me. Good point on the Xbox, didn’t know about that.