Discussion + Poll: World Update VI (1.19.8.0)

Looking for feedback on the ATC Incorrect Altitude issue: please post your findings here: ATC telling me I'm at the incorrect altitude - #160 by AppearingSix65

Thanks!

First time I couldnā€™t just update. Wellā€¦ here goes the big, mondo 131GB download againā€¦ better than going through all the motions of try this, try that, well worked for ā€œmeā€ lol.

Maybe Iā€™ll be wheels-up by midnight, eh?

My first few hours started well but I am now getting really long 10-20s pauses.

Flight A320FBW from EGLC - EDSS. All looking good ~30FPS around London @ ULTRA in just less than 4k so looks very nice and impressive job. Reset rolling cache and set to 50GB.

Take-off and at 100feet the sim freezes for about 10 seconds, sound continues, then unfreezes and the plane lurches nose forward towards the Thames like the plane hit a severe microburst.

Regain control, few mins later another freeze and, then they get more and more frequent until it becomes completely unplayable (like the video).

This could be a clash with another addon and I am running a few mainly Orbx, A320FBW. It doesnt look like many other people are having this so probably likely. My GFX card temps are high but it doesnt look like temp throttling that Iā€™ve seen before.

Yes before someone gets shirty I will try testing again with no Addons and a range of GFX settings to try to isolate. Would be a shame because I have flown many happy flights with these addons and settings in the past.

Other Addons in Community Folder
Navigraph Window
Various Airports
Pushback ToolBar
A320 liveries

Hardware 5850X 3080TI 32GB FS across 2NVME

I made a short video, if you scroll to the end, you will see that eventually the sim recovers and I can then fly normally at 50FPS. Sometime later the freeze will happen all over again.

UPDATE: Allā€™s well that ends well but PAX did not enjoy the rollercoaster :nauseated_face:

I got my engineer friend to help me build a pc just for this game on a $1k budget.(I still went over though lol)

Then, as far as needing help with things that are sim related, I go to forums.flightsimulator.com.

The people there(here) are EXTREMELY helpful.

One thing I donā€™t think gets mentioned enough, is how AWESOME the flight sim community is. You guys have helped me more than once and sometimes when you donā€™t provide a fix, you still at least provide me with some patience and enthusiam.

But regarding the gist of your post, I understand where youā€™re coming from.

4 Likes

Clone the default settings for the controller, re-name and delete all but the basic controls, only keep what you need to get up in the air and see if they stay on, if not it will be Asobo that will have to fix it.

I experienced none of those problems, save some ā€œpoppingā€, but Iā€™m still playing with settings and cache and all that fun stuff, so itā€™s too early to say if thatā€™s a problem or not. I was also over some serious mountains in very, very rural Alaska.

Is your rig beefy enough to handle all the VR goodness?

On steam. Looping download. Gets to 98%, or 2.64GB of 2.67GB, then back to showing less than 1GB. Then starts to download the same stuff again.
Third pass in progress now. I have never had issues during upgrade process before (lucky)ā€¦ and nowā€¦

Laminar Research and Lockheed Martinā€¦ If you are watching this last year as msfs unfolds, do you see an opportunity here?

And now to be serious. We have been told this is a 10 year development. Well how long is it gonna take before the thing is stable and we actually begin to progress in a reliable manner? Two years of that 10? Five years of that 10? How long will it be before the competitors find a way to overtake this product? I would not even have thought that a year ago when I wrongly assumed 10 years of development meant 10 years of solid progress, not one year of circling back and still no stability.

And I am now watching the download counter get close once again - will it circle backā€¦ Darn. Yes it dropped back to below 1GB again. It is now trying to download the same bloody stuff for the fourth time.

I donā€™t even know what to do at this stage, shut it off? Or will that completely screw the entire program?

Edit - When it started to circle back for the sixth time I just shut my computer off in disgust

Edit - I turned the computer back on after five minutes and decided to launch the program again. It looked as if it was downloading what was left, but just before it got to 100%, I got a virus warning and had to click a button to allow Microsoft to continue to install. Add to that, it went back to zero again and is now taking a second passā€¦ and then it went back to a third pass and still is not completing the installation. At this stage MSFS is completely broken for me.

I did not expect any fixes this time because it was a world update even though they said they would fix update 5. We still have stuff broken from update 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

It just keeps getting worse and worse with every update.
My frame rates are the same
Graphics are worse
We have had stuff broken for a year now ā€¦ not fixed yet.

disappointed

2 Likes

I hear your frustration, but could you provide more details? Your frames are the same but itā€™s getting worse?

Itā€™s important to remember that this was a World update, not a Sim update.

Looking for feedback on Elevator Trim if anyone would like to contribute: [BUG LOGGED] Elevator trim doesn't work as pre-SU5 and it's impossible to fly - #208

3 Likes

Sir, you have made some great points. It was due to many issues like this I gave up on PC gaming a decade ago. I had got to the point in life where I just didnā€™t have the time or inclination to mess around with drivers or config files to get my games running. Yes, I missed my flight sims, the first PC I ever bought was a 386 SX25 and a copy of Falcon 3.0. It came with DOS5 and Windows 3.1, 4Mb of ram and a 20Mb hard drive. And no soundcard.
Just looking at everyoneā€™s different experiences show that the very strength of the PC, a vast array of 3rd party add-ons, multiple configurations to suit everyones budget, is also its biggest weakness. The software, already incredibly complex being a ā€œsimulationā€, has to deal with all these variables. Going for a closed system, in my case a high end Mac and a series X reduces the issues, albeit with the compromises that goes with this approach. I updated my X-box today with no issues (and I have not had to re-install my Mac OS ever - in 11 years). Yes, there are numerous bugs in the game still but as far as actually updating it all went well.
I genuinely hope that everyone gets their problems sorted out and we can work towards the next update that will hopefully wipe out many of the more serious bugs that are still present. After a month on the X-Box I am seriously considering a PC just for MSFS as it has proved how much I have missed flight sims and all the additional content is super appealing. However, I will have to brace myself with dealing with all the additional work to ensure things run smoothly. As the old saying goes, ā€œyou pays your money and you takes your choiceā€.

2 Likes

ATC still excessively spamming ā€œplease expedite your climbā€ to all aircraft in his responsibility with AI traffic. Both live weather and presets.

Didnā€™t perform IFR flight yet, might be fixed for your own aircraft, but certainly not for all others. was just on VFR flight following.

1 Like

True. Before complaining about CTD undo all overclocking (CPU, GPU, RAM) and try again.

The altitude fix in WU6 was for the built-in ATC. The fix for online ATC networks will have to be done by the developers of the client programs for the various networks. The specific sim variable that these client programs have long been using to determine the altitude of connected MSFS players will no longer give correct results. It will require using a different sim variable.

I know that the developer of the VPilot client for VATSIM is aware of this, because he has posted about it on these very forums. I donā€™t know about the status of IVAO, Pilot Edge etc.

3 Likes

Canā€™t even start the game. I go to Microsoft store, nothing to download, then I go to the game, it says to install the mandatory update. This is getting really annoying. After every update. Come on!!! donā€™t you Asobo people have any quality control?

Go to the store, search for ā€œxboxā€ app and download it. After install, wait about one minute and, still at the store, now click at ā€œsearch for updatesā€. You will see a 500mb archive for MSFS. After instal it, start the sim to download the update

1 Like

Cleared the cache before updating and have cleared it since. Still the same. It happens in the valleys around Salzburg too.

LOWI area again

Another problem. Apparently this airport is closed for VFR!!

You need to first install the XBox app from the Microsoft Store. Once that is done, the update for MSFS in the store will become active and download. I donā€™t think Asobo themselves initially were aware that this is a new requirement, since they do not have any control over how the Store operates.

Once it became known, they added a note to their announcement of the update referencing the requirement to download the XBox app.

2 Likes

Finally, after at least ten times checking update in store or XBOX app, the update got to meā€¦

And itā€™s like 50 convoluted steps actually in that official Microsoft instruction to a customer. All of which appears to be the best way they know how to re-sync the credentials of a known email address across several applications (Xbox, windows and MSFS), and that presumes you recall the email address you used to sign up with Microsoft, Xbox and also buy the game. What a mess and nowhere there does it use the fact you have engaged with the game for a year now so itā€™s a legitimate customer who is asking to upgrade.

1 Like