Discussion + Poll: World Update VI (1.19.8.0)

You have to install and run the XBox app, see post before yours!

With the new caching option, all the pop-ins are gone. The performance is still smooth, and the visuals look great. For me, at least, this update crushed it.

First attempt at flight (empty community folder) and we haveā€¦a CTD!!! From past experience, thatā€™s what is supposed to happen after the updates, am I right? Bravo, Asobo! Bravo! My comment to the guy that won the meet with whatever his name is last week was deleted, but based off this result, I think itā€™s a pertinent question that needs to be asked. Why is this simulator absolute trash? The potential for greatness is there, no denying that, but letā€™s call it what it is right now. Itā€™s unfinished and itā€™s not good. If I were reviewing this sim for a professional publication it would not get a very good score. Iā€™m sure this comment will be deleted too but it shouldnā€™t be. Itā€™s honest and real.

2 Likes

Thank youā€¦ Disabling Garmin Nxi fixed the Bush Trips for me. I have no other complaints. Solid so far. Havenā€™t tried night flying or IFR with altitude stuff and ATC yet. Busy doing Bush Trips. :wink:

1 Like

My impressions in VR.

The Good:

Some definite visual improvements over SU5. I did not realize just how bad the LOD/Pop-in issue was until seeing it fixed in this update (although it would be nice to have a setting to adjust this, rather than having to edit UserCfg.opt.) It is so nice to once again fly over a metro area like So Cal and actually see skylines in the distance. This has also improved my performance significantly, as I must have been experiencing a lot of stuttering in SU5 from the repeated loading of assets.

Overall seems more stable. I have not experienced a ton of CTDā€™s in the past, but exiting VR used to be dicey and would usually require a restart of MSFS and sometimes SteamVR. This no longer seems to be an issue.

The Bad:

The image is still blurry for me. I have render scale set to 100% right now, with Steam SS @ 120%, which is as far as I can push it without killing performance. It would take me pushing Steam SS to 190% in order for the same (or similar) clarity that I had pre-SU5. I still notice multiple additional visual downgrades that came with SU5, such as issues with reflections, AA (shimmering, etc.), quality of clouds, and a generally washed out look to the entire image.

Way too many trees. Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley look like a post-apocalyptic scene where vegetation has overgrown everything in sight. There are even trees growing in the LA River, lol!

The Ugly:

Menus still look hideous in VR. As if no AA is applied.

So overall, I think the fixes in this update are heading in the right direction, but VR definitely needs some serious love soon. I really hope that with the XBox release out of the way, some resources and focus shift back to VR. This update has at least renewed my interest enough to where I will fly again, however if they keep ignoring the VR experience I donā€™t know how long Iā€™ll stay engaged.

4 Likes

i down loaded from steam and had no problems. three part process. but had no problems.

Apparently, youā€™ve never used any Adobe products. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Itā€™s unfortunate youā€™ve had a lot of problems with it, but Iā€™ve had mostly success with FS2020, and after nearly 600 hours in it, Iā€™ve never experienced 98% of the issues that users talk about in these forums, even when I try to reproduce them as described. Most of the things I would complain about are pretty nitpicky, to be honest, and Iā€™ve only filed one bug report, which was just recently after SU5, where for some odd reason, the engines wonā€™t start on the Citation Longitude. Itā€™s a plane Iā€™ve flown many times in the sim so itā€™s not like I donā€™t know the startup procedure. Itā€™s an odd one.

I hope things turn around for you though! :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

If people are still crashing another thing to try is to make sure Windows has enough virtual memory. I set my virtual memory to 1.5x the amount of RAM I have, so for 32GB physical RAM I set virtual memory to 48GB and it seems to be pretty stable.

I have to say from my own experience that this is not necessarily true. I would definitely agree that if someone is experiencing CTDā€™s it could be related to an unstable overclock. But I have been running with OCā€™d CPU, memory and video card since day one and have only suffered from a handful of CTDā€™s, which have turned out to be known sim problems that were eventually fixed.

4 Likes

Got it installed in the end but for PC users this update process is ridiculous. Open Store and update. Gaming services updates, hangs and says it is not installed. Reboot PC go to store and Gaming Services is now installed. Go to MSFS in the store and it updates itself then hangs and says i may need to reinstall the game!! Reboot again and go to store and I can launch MSFS, but i then get an error message saying im not logged into Xbox, I do not own an xbox but launch the app anyway and i am logged in. MSFS still insists i am not so i reboot yet again and open Xbox, then the store, launch MSFS which still insists i am not logged into XBox but then starts to update itself. Update finishes, game launches and i am logged in but MSFS now says i am offline in the Game. Reboot yet again, launch all the apps listed above and i can finally get to the Updates in Content Manager and then Market Place to finally get the World Update.
Microsoft fan boys can defend the system all they want, but this hopping from app to app to get a game to update is simply ridiculous, this is 2021 not 1985.

3 Likes

Same Issue here. Can not get to the update! And, since update is mandatory , Sim will not start. :frowning: :frowning_face:

Anyone experiencing frame drops in and around LAX? My GPU also drops to 30%.

I am still having LOD issues after WU5 and now with the new update I am getting graphical artifacts with lights in the dark. The flood lights and taxi lights corrupt the graphics. Nothing in the community folder. I will Do further testing to see if i can determine exactly how itā€™s caused/

Whatā€™s the point of people using scaling > 100? Why not just run at the higher resolution being scaled to?

1 Like

My monitor can only work in FHD, but it is large and the picture looks like soap, why canā€™t I use a larger scale if the video card allows it and the game offers it to me?

Scaling to any resolution higher than what your monitor can display would be moot. You can set it that way but you will lost valuable framerate.

Because if youā€™re already at monitor resolution, being able to render scale > 100 is an easy way to take sharper screenshots for instance, and you canā€™t set your in game resolution to anything higher than monitor resolution unless you have something like Nvidia DSR enabled.

That, and some people just like how it looks.

You have to go to the store first and update gaming services, then update MSFS. If you try to do both at once, on every update it has never worked for me. Rebooting after every step seems to make the store happier to. Remember once in the game you have not finished updating, Content Manager has new updates, and Market place is where you finally get World update 6.

ā€œIn generalā€ doesnā€™t mean itā€™s always a problem. But the thing with overclocks and MSFS is that they work just fineā€¦ until they donā€™t. I used to run OCs on both my CPU and GPU, assuming they would help. I learned early on the CPU OC wasnā€™t helping at all, so when it started getting unstable problems, I dropped it like a hot potato. But sometime in between SU3 and SU4, I started getting random CTDs. Tried a few things, and then I remembered I still had a GPU overclock, so I turned that off, too.

Poof, CTDs gone. And I know from experience that if I turn the OC back on, itā€™s not a question of if Iā€™m going to start getting them again, just when. Now, maybe SU5 or WU6 fixed that, the only way Iā€™ll know is by testing it. But frankly, despite the fact that Iā€™m using ā€œonlyā€ a 10600K with a 2070 Super, Iā€™m actually pretty happy with my performance, so perhaps Iā€™ll try again, and perhaps I wonā€™t.

Especially after SU5, even if I can make a framerate counter spit out a bigger number, Iā€™m not sure my eyes will notice, and thatā€™s the only thing that matters.

Iā€™m off track. Point is, if you (the generic you) are having problems with MSFS, the very first thing to do is turn off the overclocks, but some are too stubborn to do so. And then they have the stones to come on here and blame Asobo.

Yeah but the scaling wonā€™t work past your monitorā€™s resolution capability so scaling to a resolution higher than what your monitor can display wonā€™t get you anything.