Disintegrate mid-air or miss the airport

What am I doing wrong?

I have been attempting to fly ILS routes with the Cessna Citation CJ4 using the specific ATC instructions during the flight. The ATC seems to push high altitudes way too close to the destination airport. Then they start to rattle off “descend to” commands that result in either stressing out the aircraft or cruising over the airport at a few thousand feet. I have let MSFS set the routing after I choose the two airports a destination ILS runway assignment. I have the auto pilot on, NAV on to keep me on the route, and use the altitude dials and buttons to control the rate of descent. I keep manually playing with the engine RPM to control airspeed.

On one 250 mile flight I think they even pushed me to 44,000 feet. I don’t think I even got to it before they were demanding decent.

Then why do you set the cruising altitude to 44000 feet in the flight plan?

yep, select a lower altitude in your flight plan, or, when already en-route, request a flight level decrease from ATC (note; have to do this before approach clearance).

1 Like

This is a bug, the ATC is crazy.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll try that.

there is no shortage of issues to be solved for MSFS2020…
hopefully the ASOBO team is made up of very young people, cause it’s gonna take a while to fix this.
Either way I want to see it unfold and hope to watch as they get it right in time.

1 Like

Pieter- - That may be it. I just called for the same route and it was set for a cruise altitude of 44k??? I have never set the cruise altitude in a routing. This short trip forced a huge climb that could not descend in time.
Rookie mistake. I have been trying to learn this program by trial and error, not having instructions or a teacher.

Thanks.

1 Like

My problem is I don’t know when my issues are due to my ignorance or program bugs.

Bottom line, I love this simulator. I am fascinated by flight and have always thought about flying but all my million+ miles in the air are in the passenger cabin. This program gets me up front.

2 Likes

copy that…I think that applies to more flight simmers than would ever admit it.
Going to airshows and parking the car at the foot of the local airfield teaches one nothing about flying, about aerodynamics, or about the different procedures related to VFR or IFR flying.
To be proficient in a decent flight sim you have to do a fair amount of reading and dive into the methods and practices just as if you were going for a license to fly.
Unless you don’t want to do all that - and just want to play at it.
It might be helpful if posters here could list their flight experience as well as their PC specs at the bottom of every post they make. So they can be quantified quietly - rather than exposed to the sandblasting effect of serial bashers and gate keepers that take hold of many forums when participants grumble without we can tell if they know up from down beforehand.

1 Like

Some people are professionals in blaming the victims and making it look like it’s their fault even though it’s not.

This ATC is a pile of ■■■■! Let’s at least agree on that. And then if you have walk-arounds , then suggest those walk-arounds as the walk-arounds they are, not as though they were the correct routine.

This foolish ATC waits until your autopilot captures the cleared altitude before clearing you to the next, instead of clearing you before hand so that the climb is seamless and continuous. Then it waits until you’re on top of your destination before commanding you to descend like a helicopter, yelling at you, forcing you to destroy your aircraft, and then having a tequila party on top of your virtual coffin, then onwards to their next victim.

Asobo couldn’t care less about all this. This is a Flight Simulator, for crying out loud! No one had this issue neither in FS9 nor in FSX. They need to fix it!

3 Likes

Okay, took one of the flights again. The flight plan preset 44k was the issue. Had a good flight this time at 18k max. All was well except for hearing engines as I reached the end of the runway. A big jet from behind landed right over me. As my wheels hit ATC told me to go around. Yea right. sarc

1 Like

I will agree that it has (a lot of) room for improvement, but a pile of stuff is a bit steep. When having a correct flight plan with SIDs and STARs, it will tell me to descend on time, it will guide me onto the STAR with the correct constraints, let me capture the localizer and glide slope and clears me to land. No issue whatsoever. (A320NX mod)

2 Likes

THIS, @SidewardLlama65 if you feel you are too high (the atc often keeps you over FL100 and then abruptly wants you to make an impossible descent) request a flight level decrease manually.

Allow me to doubt this, since I have the same experience that @DiBarkis describes. While the descent does sometimes work as intended (depending on the airport) the ATC does wait until your AP captures the cleared altitude before it clears you to the next, which is plain wrong.

I am using simbrief for my flight plans and Navigraph to check the charts, and more often than not the restrictions in FS2020 are wrong or wrongly interpreted by the ATC.

1 Like

Yeah, sometimes I mutter to myself in response to altitude changes with and grumbling “unable” ! :slight_smile:

I often don’t add an approach in the plan because I don’t know what runway to assign? So I select it manually during the flight in the on-board system.

I also begin my descent early using flight level change requests, and that helps. And other times, even when I’m self-managing my flight levels sensibly, when the ATC assigns my runway and approach, it asks me to climb back up to 14000 or so. In those cases I patiently ignore them and stick to the procedure I loaded, and eventually they give up when I get further into the procedure. Sometimes the tower sees sense when I contact them and assigns me to the correct altitude for the approach.

I always use the charts and fight plan, and stick to that. If the ATC had their way, we’d all be using our sick bags. :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

That’s a really good point. One can be in a position where you may not even know what the question is, let alone the answer.

1 Like

I’m aware. As I said:

But again, it’s do-able.

The trick with ATC is to when using IFR flight plan is to select an arrival path other than DIRECT. That seems to mitigate the altitude issue. Also check the Cruise altitudes before launching your flight. The default is always way too high. Most of the time I have flown on an airliner (as a passenger) the cruise altitudes were 35-38,000 ft. MSFS always seems to want to put you over 40000 ft. by default. Reduce that to 35-38K for airliners at least. I think the jets like the Cessna Citation can comfortably go over 40K, but I haven’t done an IFR flight with one of those yet, I just flew an unplanned flight VFR and took it up to 48K, but the AP didn’t work well, so I had to fly it manually.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.