DIY Flight Sim Yoke System [Cadet OpenSource Yoke V2]

– ENGLISH –

Many thanks to Vince_Prints for his wonderful design of a flight simulator yoke. It works great, and is very smooth to handle in the flight sim. I have built it for my nephew, and thus introduce him to the world of flight simulation. To build it, I have used components purchased on Aliexpress, since those indicated in the original instructions were not available on Amazon Spain. One of the problems I have encountered is that the boards with the RJ45 connectors were different in size from those used by Vince_Prints. The ones that I bought on Aliexpress are somewhat larger, so the box to house the original electronics is no longer useful to me. I had to design my own, so I took the opportunity to also connect two more axes to the Arduino Micro board for throttle and mixture for a Cessna. The original design for that control box is by DavidKingsmank, and can be found at this link. Instead of building it as a standalone controller, I’ve also connected it with RJ45 to the Yoke’s Arduino Micro board. I couldn’t print the other device from Vince_Prints for throttle, prop pitch and mixture, because it won’t fit on my 3D printer bed. So I came up with that solution and thus save myself the cost of another Arduino Micro.

– ESPAÑOL –
Muchas gracias a Vince_Prints por su maravilloso diseño de un yugo para simulador de vuelo. Funciona estupendamente, y es muy suave de manejar en el simulador de vuelo. Lo he construido para mi sobrino, y así introducirle en el mundo de la simulación aérea. Para construirlo, he empleado componentes adquiridos en Aliexpress, dado que los indicados en las instrucciones originales, no estaban disponibles en Amazon España. Uno de los problemas con los que me he encontrado, es que las placas con los conectores RJ45 eran distintos en tamaño a los empleados por Vince_Prints. Los que yo compré en Aliexpress son algo más grandes, con lo que la caja para albergar la electrónica original, ya no me es util. He tenido que diseñar la mía propia, así que he aprovechado para conectar también a la placa Arduino Micro, dos ejes más para un control de acelerador y mezcla para una avioneta Cessna. El diseño original de esa caja de control es de DavidKingsmank, y se puede encontrar en este enlace. En vez de construirlo como un control independiente, lo he conectado también con RJ45 a la placa Arduino Micro del Yoke. No podía imprimir el otro dispositivo de Vince_Prints para la potencia, paso de hélice y mezcla de combustible, porque no cabe en la cama de mi impresora 3D. Así que se me ocurrió esa solución y así ahorrarme el coste de otro Arduino Micro.

3 Likes

– ENGLISH –

I have made an improvement to the Yoke by adding a Trim Wheel to the Throttle and Mixture box, which, being underneath, makes it a great center console in the cabin. I have also added some labels to give it a more professional look, as well as some side brackets so that it can be mounted under the table, and thanks to its grooves, it can be removed or mounted by sliding it to the side. The Trim Wheel is a great design from ZockZock, which can be built with either a potentiometer or a rotary encoder which is the one I chose.

– ESPAÑOL –

He hecho una mejora al Yoke agregando a la caja de Throttle y Mixture un Trim Wheel, que al estar debajo, lo convierte en una estupenda consola central de cabina. También le he agregado algunas etiquetas para darle un aspecto más profesional, así como unas escuadras laterales para que se pueda montar por debajo de la mesa, y gracias a sus acanaladuras, se pueda retirar o montar deslizándolo hacia un lado. El Trim Wheel es un estupendo diseño de ZockZock, que se puede construir con un potenciómetro o un codificador rotatorio, que es la que escogí.