DLSS frame generation and pop out panels causes MSFS to permanently freeze (not CTD) when exiting flight to main menu

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Repro occurs when DevMode is enabled or disabled. No changes have been made in DevMode besides enabling FPS counter.

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes. Repro occurs even when MSFS is running in safe mode.

Brief description of the issue:

The combination of DLSS Frame Generation + pop out panels cause MSFS to freeze (not CTD), when exiting a flight via “Main Menu” button. MSFS can’t be interacted with at this point and must be closed via task manager. Repros using the NV 527.56 driver on a Gigabyte RTX4090. I can also get MSFS to sometimes freeze before hitting the “main menu” button by manipulating the pop out window sizes, but this repro isn’t as consistent. Confirmed issue does not repro when frame generation and NV reflex are disabled.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Ensure DLSS Frame Generation is enabled (ergo DX12 is being used as well). Start a flight with the DA40NG. Pop out the G1000’s PFD and MFD into their own separate windows. Ideally place each window on a different monitor than MSFS2020. Hit “esc”, and then hit the “main menu” button. Observe that MSFS freezes during the loading screen back to the main menu. Might require a few repro attempts to observe the issue. Issue won’t repro if DLSS frame generation is disabled.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte NV RTX 4090 using NV 527.56 driver, Win11 22H2 (22623.1037)

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

MSFS will always freeze when I do something with pop out windows and Nvidia DLSS frame generation is on. If I have turned DLSS off the game is working fine. This just occurred and I can’t name any system change just before it. I reinstalled MSFS three times and removed all community folder files, add-ons and controllers but the problem was still there. I have also installed the latest Nvidia driver. It would be great if anybody could give some thoughts what the issue behind the problem could be, thank you!

System specs: i9-13900KF, RTX 4090, 32 Gt, W11

Not quite the same.

DevMod, DLSS3 and DX12 selected - when switching from VR to Window or Full Screen to Window game CTD’s. with a message that the card is overclocked or overheating…

I’ve recently turned on FG and last two days have had 2 x terminal freezes, not with pop-out panels but when clicking back into MSFS (full screen mode) on main monitor after using Chrome or Volanta on a second screen. AppCrashViewer just showing some Access Violation but nothing very useful in the log.

I bought a 4070ti a couple of days ago and I am now getting these errors. I’ve only been able to get one flight in. I get this error on every other time Ive tried the sim. I am currently trying to test whether its anything to do with the pop up windows like GSX (not suggesting it’s GSX itself).
Never had this problem with the 3070 so cant see how it can be the memory (as has been suggested) as the 3070 has less memory than I have now.

Here’s a video I uploaded to Youtube. I faff a bit with but generate the error quite easily.

It’s only about 2.5 mins long

1 Like

The problem dosen’t exist anymore after the latest MSFS update. :clap: :grinning: :clap:

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect this but am experiencing the same issue and thought it better to post here than start a new one.

I have a 4090 and 13900k and am seeing persistent CTDs when opening pop out windows such as ATC and checklists.

A downgrade to DX11 solves the issue but reduces the FPS dramatically as I am bereft of DLSS and frame generation.

I can see this seems to have been resolved for some people in early February but I am on the current drivers and MSFS patch version and it happens every time.

For now, im trying to avoid clicking the button but on occasion forget and kill my flight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

@AalieGee did you do anything other than just update please?

Cheers

What “solved” it for me was to use the latest DLSS and Frame Generation .dll’s rather than the ones that ship with MSFS. Had one crash since I changed these (and I think it was because msfs reinstalled their old version in the beta update)

Try v1.0.7.0 of the Frame Generation .dll - “nvngx_dlssg.dll” (msfs ships with the older v1.0.1.0)
Also update to the latest DLSS .dll - “nvngx_dlss.dll” (msfs ships with an older version of this as well)

Both can be downloaded from TechPowerUp -

Been doing a 'Round Britain in the Edgely Optica and had several sessions of 4 to 6 hours with not a single crash. Frame Generation is amazing (when it works;-))

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I’ll give it a go and report back.

Cheers

Didn’t work unfortunately but thanks anyway. Hopefully your suggestion helps others.

Cheers

Hi, the update was enough for me and since then it has been OK.

1 Like

I have the same issu. My pc has a gpu nvidia 4090 and cpu intel core i9 13900k, one monitor 4k. when I try to pop out an instrument panel with the comand alt gr + mouse, it freeze and appear a message the there ii some problem with the graphic unit

I received exactkly the same message when I try to pop out window instrument panel. I have pc with gpu nvidia 4090 and cpu intel core i9 13900K, windows 10. Can you help me to sorted out the issue? I paid the pc a lot of money and not possible to play.
Thank you

I have exactly you pc with the same GPU and CPU. I have the same issue when I trie to pop out the instrumenat panel window. The game is quite unusable without the chance to move istrument panel in other monitor. Did you sorted out the issue?

I haven’t solved it unfortunately mate.

Try to install the nvidia driver 531.18 or 531.29

I resolved installing nvidia driver version 531.29. Very very hard to set up nvidia 4090 and MSFS accordingly. Indication and workaround are fragmented and inconsistent. Other issue with pop up panel window. I’m not able to remove pop up panel memory position. Someone can help me

Good Day, Has anyone Had any luck with solving this issue?