DLSS made my RTX 3080 into an amazing GPU

Thats definitely totally true. I think the difference with VR is there is a much higher base threshold of performance you need to have to enjoy it. As has been said before here - with VR every frame really does count in a way it doesn’t on a screen.

On screen in 2D I can live with a fairly widely fluctuating performance. With VR it HAS to be consistent, and its the amount of faffing to get that consistency I could well live without.

VR is still a very young sometimes stubborn child that need some time to grow but if you are flown once in VR it is hard to go back in to the flat world.
Also you need high end hardware to really enjoy it and this is expensive so not anyone has the chance by now but I am shure in a few years midrange systems will become powerful enough to open VR to the mainstream.

In a few years we will be surprised that it once worked without.

1 Like

Ah yes, Nick Needham, the guru of FSX! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

As a test I have disabled motion reprojection as well. Way less artefacts indeed and just a touch less smoothness when looking around. Hardly noticeable.

1 Like

How about DLDSR (2.25) with DLSS (quality), which seems to work VERY well for me, using an RTX 2070 Super and an ASUS 31.5 inch 4K … most settings on ULTRA and resulting fps is 40-55 on complex scenery … very nice !

Both of these together allow me to have a very good 4K visual appearance and take no fps hit … with a somewhat aging graphics processor :nerd_face:

I will try that, Never heard of it before. I am in VR.

Guys, DLDSR (X.XX) is for 2D, no benefit for VR.

1 Like

Thanks for saving me some time!

1 Like

But then I turned it on again :smiley:
It has more benefits than drawbacks although the artefacts can sometimes look ridiculous.

This helped me alot. Running balanced DLSS and 140-150 in Open XR has me enjoying VR like never before in my G2. Running a 3080 with a Ryzen 5 3600. Smooth, enjoyable, at least when clouds and scenery is light. Cheers.

Seems you missed that this topic is under the VR forum. Posting about 4k panel performance is usually not relevant to VR users.

Oohhhhh … :woozy_face: it came up in a search for DLDSR DLSS, sorry …

So I once again set OXR at 115, but this time I went DLSS-Performance not Balanced. Huge difference for me, much smoother, way less stutters and solid fps. I increased in-game TLOD to 130 and turned sharpening up as DLSS-Performance brings clarity down a bit. Most other settings on medium to high. The OXR setting increase makes things so incredibly clear.
i9-12900, 3080, G2

That is indeed very smooth but I do need that touch of extra clarity. Performance just does not hit the sweetspot.

1 Like

What color/brightness settings are recommended for “realistic” coloring? I feel like a certain map mod used to give that, but that hasn’t been the case lately for some reason.

Also, what are y’all doing to obtain crisp glass cockpit text? I’m on a 3080, 5800X with a Quest 2 and I can get very crisp text with full headset resolution and 1.3 super sampling with TAA, but when I run DLSS Quality and 1.4 SS, the glass cockpit text is a blurry mess. This is with sim sharpness cranked to 200 and OXRTK sharpness at 40.

I have pretty much the same machine as yours (RTX 5800x3D + RTX 3080 + Reverb G2) and I am far from being as happy as you are. To get perfectly smooth animation you need 30 fps with motion retroprojection, which means you should be able to reach at least 34 fps without retroprojection, all the time. With your setup (140%+DLSS balanced), it requires to drastically reduce the details (at most medium), and to stay away from urban area, and to avoid using resource intensive planes. Practically I use DLSS performance and foveated rendering, and even that is not always enough.

All this is very mysterious. Some people seem to be more lucky than others with the same hardware.

If you have a headset without perfect edge to edge clarity, which is most to be fair, it really is worth using OpenXR Toolkit and enabling fixed foveated rendering. Use the quality preset and you’ll see a nice bump in performance with no visual hit as the lower resolution elements of the image are hidden in the periphery behind the softer parts of the lens.