Do increased flight hours unlock new features?

(I hope this isn’t an FAQ, I didn’t find anything about it):

I just passed 100 logged hours. I see a new pilot “logo” , but I don’t seem to see any new features, or challenges, or marketplace items. It was the same at 50 hours.

Does flying more hours turn on anything cool?

Thanks in advance!

(Loving the sim so far, but still have a lot to learn!)

No. Just badges.

Xbox or Steam achievements as well, but as far as for other rewards or challenges, I am afraid not.

god no, there are no unlockables in this sim. And thank god for that.
Imagine the outrage if you could only fly the TBM after clocking 50 IFR hours in the Cessna 172.

It’s a sandbox, you create your own challenges, no artificial roadblocks here (and that’s how it should be).

13 Likes

Sigh, thanks for the prompt reply. I guess these are the early days, though, so maybe some rewards will emerge. E.g., I’d like to see the ability to store multiple, customized planes in one’s “Hangar”. As was suggested I believe by @ememPilot .

Happy flying.

I highly doubt there’ll ever be unlockable stuff based on play time. About the only gamey feature like that is the acheivements you get for completing certain tasks or milestones.

1 Like

I totally agree. Someone putting on 8-10 hours of autopilot and walking away every day versus me with 150+ hours of VFR aren’t the same thing.

2 Likes

Yup. This isn’t an EA game where they lock stuff away behind X hours of play time (or the right amount of $$$). If it were, I wouldn’t own it.

3 Likes

imagine there are hundreds of towers around the world, you must visit each one to unlock certain area, that would be fun

It might be fun for you. For others, who had bought the sim to fly where they liked, it would be extremely annoying.

Flight sims are sandboxes, and ‘locking’ content away between arbitrary constraints is a fundamentally bad idea.

1 Like

If there was, there would probably be “outrage” because many many flight hours have not been logged. It’s a pretty common problem to hear about.

It was discovered that the logbook doesn’t get updated if you are running in Developer mode. Lots of folks were using Dev mode to get the FPS display on screen.

I’ve only had about 1/10th of my hours logged… no big deal to me really.

I was kidding, that would be Ubisoft flight simulator

1 Like

Thanks, everybody, for the replies. I agree with pretty much everybody. I guess my question, then, is why does the pilot Profile tab emphasize flight hours so much? Both current “earnings” and “how-far-to-next-level”? Seems unimportant if more hours doesn’t mean anything.

In real life, hours (and in particular solo hours) are logged to show your level of experience. These are important, and will become part of your CV.

It makes sense to do the same in the sim.

Because Asobo still only know how to make a game, not a simulator. And it’s not a game if you can’t keep score…

… so real pilots logging the hours are gamey too? interesting…

Ok, I was probably being a little facetious with that comment.

I was more replying to the comment “Why does the profile tab emphasis hours so much?”

Obviously it’s realistic to log hours, but I do think Asobo’s game studio background may have rubbed off a little in the presentation.

That’s simply linked to your achievements / badges. Nothing more.

Again, this isn’t an EA game with artificial gates to unlock content.

Sure, but why emphasize “levels” if they’re meaningless?

I think we have the answer right there. Same reason we have meaningles badges / acheivements. It’s a gamey feature typically meant to keep completionist gamers playing a game longer than they likely would otherwise.