Do you believe MSFS is getting good someday?

Pretty exacatly two years after realease and many updates later we still missing some things, aren´t we? A proper replay function, real time Weather, real time traffic. Just to name a few.

At the Moment I´m just fed up with that simulator and didn´t touched it the last 3 months because of the constant introducing of new bugs and problems with every update without noticable progress on major elemtents of the game.(mentioned above)

So do you think its worth keeping the 100GB+ on my drive? Will there ever be the substantial update that doesn´t just polish the scenery?

12 Likes

I do yes. I’m starting to use MSFS a lot more than XP and P3D (which I have a ton of addons) and I believe that getting rid of them is going to happen sooner rather than later (I’ve already stopped buying addons for them). I think being a user of VATSIM and only modded / addon aircraft and avionics helps me a lot when it comes to getting enjoyment out of MSFS. I’m able to cut out some of the major problems.

6 Likes

Good? It’s already light years ahead of anything we have had before.

-eelis-

92 Likes

This is a YMMV type of thing. If you don’t think this sim is good by now, while many of us here do find it quite good in spite of flaws, it probably will never meet your standards. Hopefully another sim does.

18 Likes

Do I believe MSFS is getting good someday? As far as I’m concerned, other than the lack of proper multi-display/multi-monitor support, it’s good now. I use FS 2020 strickly for buzzing around the planet at 175-200 knots in VFR at, typically, 2000-3000 AGL. Two weeks ago I replaced my old AMD RX590 with an AMD 6700XT. At the moment, I’m a happy camper with MSFS.

My only real issue with FS 2020 is when my eyes get tired/dry after an hour or so of VR, I’d like to switch to the same multi-monitor system I use with XP11.

100+ gig on your hard drive? :slight_smile: I have almost 10 TB of satellite imagery stored for XP11. :slight_smile:

My two cents says to leave it on your computer (unless you’re really needed the space) and stay current with the updates.

4 Likes

I believe it got good a long time ago.

I also believe there are two dislike trains that run against it… One is the simmers from brand ‘X’ who want to protect their beloved platform.

And the other is all the people that normally never would have bought a flight sim, but since it was presented as game content, did buy a flight sim… And now they like it, but aren’t used to the reality of flight simulation (which is true in Brand ‘X’ world also) that you need to really know how to set up a computer to run a flight sim.

I don’t want anyone saying I’m blowing sunshine and rainbows. MSFS has issues. But those issues don’t make it ‘not good’. They make it less good than the marketing told you it would be. They make it less good than it SHOULD be.

But it is good.

Good is not perfect. Good is well short of perfect. There is a lot left to improve.

But it is good. Its just a picky, snotty sim… Just like all the competition is. Sims are hard to get to run in a balanced way. It’s not ever going to be as stable as Halo, or Fortnight, or whatever game you like.

Sims are like legos, or model railroads… They are a hobby, and they are never finished.

47 Likes

It’s already good, and only getting better. It’s definitely not perfect though, high fidelity airliners would be nice but those are coming, frame rates and performance could be better but I’m hoping DLSS will help with that. Weather could be better, but it’s mostly good other than popcorn clouds (which are fixed in SU9).

I’m definitely not going to find what MSFS offers in any other sim while only taking up 100GB of hard drive space. I do have another simulator installed as well, because I have quite a few airliners I like to fly, but those pale in comparison to MSFS once you look out the window.

7 Likes

I do believe it is getting better. And I appreciate Asobo’s attention to the sim. Updates and fixes just seem slow to come come by. Things take time. Thats the nature of the beast! Not even xplane 11 has great ATC…AI traffic …and live weather straight out the box, and thankfully we have third party developers for all that stuff. For me I think I have gotten a bargain for what I have gotten with this sim. I am quite pleased with the vanilla aircraft that came with this sim …of which , there are alot, AND have been updated. I am quite pleased with the high level of default airports and airfields! I would have to say my biggest gripe would be snow on the runways and taxiways are really annoying…Thank god winter is over! Just my 2 cents!

3 Likes

I should have typed this in my previous, and since I know nobody never goes back to re-read edits I’m just going to post it separately.

One of the ways MSFS has shot itself in the foot is the patch cadence. There is a SU every couple months… Its 5 times (or more) as fast as the cadence of the competition. And everyone is always expecting that the next SU is going to be ‘the one’.

There is never going to be ‘the one’. There has never been ‘the one’ not on this sim, and not on any previous sim in the 40 years I’ve been doing this.

FSX was out for nearly a year before even one patch came. Versions of Xplane are more easily calculated in geological time than via a calendar.

MSFS (this version) has a pretty fast patch cadence. And it has accidentally created an expectation that all the things (and all the mythical unicorn things too) will get fixed next week. They won’t.

But its still a good simulator, and having used this one and the primary competitor, and speaking as a lowly private pilot who never got paid a day in his life to fly… I think it is the best available at the moment, and I don’t have any other installed anymore. But to be fair, I’m not flying tube liners in the flight levels either, and I do know there are areas in that respect where MSFS needs to improve.

10 Likes

This is all ready a great game and it’s only getting better every year, I keep coming back to this game after being constantly let down after years of nascar video games getting worse (comparing this game to nascar ignition, I actually think The flight sim team are doing a good job on updates and getting new products into the game unlike how nascar ignition was treated it could have been way worse)

1 Like

A bit of a loaded question, isn’t it?

13 Likes

After spending some hours in SU9 Beta. The weather elements seems much improved along with plenty of bug fixes.

The only thing I feel that’s really lacking now is the flight model/dynamics. If Asobo can get this right for airliners then there’s no looking back at other sims

7 Likes

Exactly. The flight model is still lacking

2 Likes

Was good from day 1.

4 Likes

How is the performance, in your opinion?

Similar to SU8. I’ve not not noticed much difference. A few more stutters currently. But that could be addon related.

I have always liked this game, partly for the graphics but mainly for the potential it has to be a great game.

How lucky are we… think about it? The release of MSFS was totally unforeseen, but here we are two years later… If MS hadn’t surprised us with the unexpected MSFS development video at E3 several years ago, where would we be today…? Always wondering what could have been if only MS would have taken a gamble on MSFS once again. Lucky for us they did! Is it good…? It’s really freaking good and will continue to get much much better.

16 Likes

to answer the question: yes.

3 Likes

It has huge potential. Staggering.

Microsoft has continually stated that there is a 10 year commitment. We’re only two years in, so there’s a whole lot to look forward to.

5 Likes