Downgraded experience on XBOX X and S

I have started simming thanks to MSFS since SU7 when I bought a XBOX Series S (couldn’t find an X at the time…) just for the sim. There have been hiccups, lots of wishing that what Microsoft told us was true ( ie…console is exactly like PC ) but despite its faults I have never felt so blown away by a SIM that could indeed depict the entire world as it is and I could fly around it. We never got quality airliners but we got the Kodiak, good Carenado planes, the Concorde, then Hondajet, Cessna 414 all excellent and reasonably detailed aircraft I could fly. Then came SU11 and just ruined it. Now some of those good aircraft need updating and are grounded, surely putting off developers from ever considering a console as their target, the amazing quality airliner we were promised arrived in the A310 but with a trade off that to me is inexplicable. We have an amazing study level airliner with some compromises to make it flyable ( see overhead panels with fuzzy text) and have spoilt the experience by having to reduce graphics for all those that used to enjoy it on other planes. What I also find hard to comprehend is introducing gliders and helicopters, which of course would highlight these shortcomings even more as they are mostly used in low level VFR flights and would only make sense with the kind of graphics we had in SU10. I thank Asobo and Microsoft for bringing this SIM to console but wouldn’t it be better to have a great experience of the SIM by knowing its limits rather than pushing it to what it cannot do and spoil it? The only way this poor graphic trade-off would make sense for console users would be to give at least the possibility to have a SU10 experience with planes that can cope with it and a LOD setting or automatic dumming down on graphics for those that want to fly an airliners and are happy with the trade-off. If that is not possible please give us back SU10 and the SIM we loved.

14 Likes

Hi, The LOD settings were changed in SU11. This affects both PC and Xbox. try setting your LOD settings to half what they were in SU10. The results should be approximately the same as what they were before.

1 Like

We don’t get to tweak LOD on Xbox. This is a definite bug that has been repeatedly highlighted throughout the - too hasty in my opinion - beta.
Big step backwards on Xbox.

8 Likes

Well said. Thanks…

1 Like

So now you know how PC users felt when SU5(Xbox version) was released. Graphics was downgraded severely to squeeze it into Xbox.
PC users still don’t have that amazing graphics and beautiful clouds back from SU4.
It was a terribly bad idea to think that Xbox is the same as a high-end PC.
MSFS should be split into two versions…

2 Likes

I do, I am not sure about the technicalities but when you say PC users you are making a generalisation because lots of PC users with decent but not gaming machines are able to use and enjoy the SIM thanks to XBOX optimisation and I suppose a lot of revenue is coming in to the SIM thanks to XBOX. What they need to do is realise that the greatest quality of the SIM is in the visuals and to compromise that to the point they did with SU11 is killing it. On PC you have lots more things to tweak and LOD to adjust. We are stuck with one version and if it sucks it sucks…

1 Like

Do you have a source for this? I didn’t see it anywhere in the release notes for SU11

Same I’d like to see the mention cause this stinks and they were sneaky

Not sure what will happen but I wrote to Asobo directly. To me, considering the money some people (including myself) have poured into this game, reductions in quality or playability are unacceptable. From a consumer protection point of view, where I live, this is even (arguably) litigable.

1 Like

All of this commentary belongs here:

Also, to all here, please note that the issue has been flagged “Bug Logged”, so hopefully we see something done about it sooner than later.

1 Like

Take a look at the post @NixonRedgrave linked above :+1:. You may wish to contribute there.