Download takes DAYS and NIGHTS

… When the WiFi speed is on the order of the speed of the connection to the house.

If you were to get a GB connection, you’d want to go wired, assuming everything in your house was GB capable. Just like pipes, the smallest pipe is going to be your “bottleneck”.
But, absolutely!, you can use a wired connection only when you feel like it, and wifi the rest of the time.

The other issue with WiFi, and it’s worse than sharing cables with your neighbors, if a neighbor is close by, and their WiFi is on the same channel as yours, you’ll likely end up with a lot of collisions and a slow down of your speed if you and your neighbor are both using the connection at peak time. If you’re downloading at night, and your neighbor isn’t then it won’t be an issue.

1 Like

Many thanks…and as always, together…more power !

1 Like

hey…since u seem to know a lot things, which is ery helpful, i come to you for some advice as i thought about what you wrote in this precious explanation.
I thought first, when my new modem will be there, to get a looooong cable between my comp and this modem, so i get “wired”…
but then, afetr a bit of research, i saw that you can get (in my country what we call), CPL boxes…that s a little adapter (ethernet wired) bewteen the modem and the “plug” in the wall, and then another one in your computer (same picture). so there are apparently communicating after being paired (a bit like bluetoooth i guess), so no lloooooon cable through my appartement…
here is what i mean :slight_smile:

so, my modem is ethernet wired with that “box” and my comp too, and so they communicate, so if i understand properly, no more wifi…so as i read, moure connectivity, spped but very important stability and consistency…

do i get evrything right ?

Thanks in advance

One of the major issues with the sim requiring so much online connectivity when the vast majority of the world do not have high-speed internet of any kind. No sign of improvement or recognition to-do more to make it less online dependant, either.

i agree 1000 %…

1 Like

Hi I’ll take a look at that setup later this afternoon.

Typically, what many people do is,
Cable modem line comes into cable modem.
Cable modem is connected to Wifi Router, which typically also has ethernet ports on it.
Then you can use up to I think it’s 300 m (might be 100 m? I forget) of ethernet cable to connect any device to the Wifi Router.

I have 8 ports on my wife router (Nighthawk 1100 I think), so I sent one ethernet cable from it to each room.

In my bedroom, I have a bunch of devices, so I connected that cable from my wifi router to an ethernet switch box (TP Link GB 8 port, about $25), and that allows me to connect 7 more ethernet cables to devices in my room where I have my computer and printer etc… to my network.

I gotta get going, so I’ll check out your setup later today.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.