Downloading Small Update Repeating Over & Over

I’ve seen many people complaining that downloads are stuck on repeat or other such things and have generally dismissed them because it appeared as though for me it was always cycling thru different files but perhaps the description was cut so one couldn’t easily see that, but that’s not what’s happening now.

On my other PC where FS is installed, I’m watching the small AIRAC update cycle for a 27th time on 2/4: fs-base-01.156.fspatch… It always stops at the exact same point (112.06MiB) and then restarts from around 26-27MiB. It moves pretty fast each time (I get around 10-15MBits/s on my 1GB Fiber connection).

Why does it do this? What causes the loop?

To be fair, I have made a few small text edits in the English language file of the fs-base folder to solve the blasted Ft Worth being read as Eff Tee Worth which is incredibly annoying as well as correcting the pronunciation of Nice (LFMN) from nice (as in have a nice day) to niece as it should be (you think a French company would solve that one at least), which I generally have to go re-do after every larger update so I imagine that could be a cause?? I don’t know. You tell me.

If it is, then fix the language so I don’t have to edit the base file and tell us that so we can better be prepared for updates. If it’s not related, then please help us know why it’s happening. I’m losing an entire day of flying for a lousy 127MB update that has almost completed 39 times now.

Build Version #: 1.15.8.0/MS Store/No Ticket Yet because I’m sure SOMEONE has asked this 1000 times.

Well that’s dandy. After 53 attempts, I finally decided to pause and restart the sim to try again…now it’s 34.89GB. This should be fun.

2 Likes

The same thing has happened for a few of us. You are not alone.

I just got everything downloaded again. Rebooted. Started the sim and all is fine. The only difference is that it put me into windowed mode instead of full-screen. Other than that, all is well for me after a quick flight.

Stay the course!

1 Like

Run as administrator is always a good idea and reboot after installation as well. Give it a try. You can also try to update via app update procedure instead of give the app the chance to look for an update.

1 Like

Good point about the “run-as-admin”.

I had to fix some rights issues on my hard drive yesterday while working with an install program. I had to replace my hard drive a while ago and some things get messed up with the fresh install. Thanks!

I haven’t tried the Run As Admin, but I always start large updates with MS Store (this one popped in unexpectedly and since it was just nav data I said, sure, go for it. I always reboot after every single change (even installing a new airport or whatever) - in this case, the change isn’t done so I never had a chance to reboot when complete.

This is first time I can prove a download error has occurred to me. Prior, it could have just honestly appeared to loop when it wasn’t (I still believe that’s the case).

Either way, I’ll stick it out for the next couple hours lost now and finish.

1 Like

Pretty well the same for me - last night the sim was working a dream, had a beautiful evening flight around the local area, dropping into a couple of local strips.

Today did all the prep work to continue my European tour - fired up the sim - Please Insert Disc. What? I’m using the Store Version? Rebooted, checked for updates then tried again - this time got to the updates screen, there is a “small” hotfix plus the updated Airac data. Okay, go ahead, but got the repeating cycle exactly as above.

Shut it all down, rebooted again - and this time I’ve got a 34.89GB download which means I won’t be flying tonight! Assuming of course it’s all okay afterwards!

Annoying as up until now updates etc have all gone very smoothly and I’ve wondered why there were a lot of problems encountered by others. Well it’s my turn now. Ah well, the joys of life!

1 Like

Exactly the same issue here…
First few updates went well untill WU3, after that every update and/or hotfix has been a pain.
Truely lousy experience!

1 Like

Rarely have any issues with updates; today this exact same thing happened to me. Stalled and in a loop; exited sim and restarted, was presented with a 34.89GB update. Had to just let it do it’s thing… and hope sim is all right when I restart it in a little bit. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Same for me but 87.96 GB! Downloading again fs-base-cgl-0.1.21 fspackaegs. Any idea why it’s doing it AGAIN? Feels like I’ve downloaded this sooooo often. Should I try a clean install? Might this help?

You should have just had this:

Same here First the Loop in the 128 MB Update and now I have a 34.89GB Update. And it load really slow… Die 700 MB 45 minutes… Great Work asobo… or MS.
I am happy to charge you for my electricity bill and wear and tear on the PC.

Same here also. Beginning with 160 MB, looping again and again on the same patch file, stop all, reboot and now I’m in for 35 GB. About 18 hours… Time is money, so they say in the USA. MS should be happy not to have to pay for my wasted time waiting for a paid application that they are unable to maintain conveniently.
I’ve been a UNIX system admin during nearly 40 years, installing patches from HP, SCO, Sun, Sequent, Redhat and Oracle and I’ve never seen such a mess. Watch and learn, Microsoft. If you can’t do things clean and clear, ask someone who knows.

Same here ended up with a 34.89GB, hotfix…Does the development team ever test anything before throwing it in our faces?

1 Like

When decompressing process finishes game deletes “fs-base-cgl” file. So game downloads “patch” files again and it causes the “loop”. For Steam you can find “patch” files at Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam.(You can see this files while updating process is in loop) These “patch” files starts with “fs-base-cgl-0.1.21” file to “fs-base-cgl-0.1.62.002”. You should back up these files before “decompressing” process starts for each file. If it loops again after decompressing process finishes close the game and copy these back up files to “Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam”. Restart the game and start the update. Game will see “fs-base-cgl-0.1.21” to “fs-base-cgl-0.1.62.002” files (because you copied these files before) so game will download new update files. After that decompressing process will start and game will update without any problem. I solved my problem after doing these. I hope it will solve your problems too.
p.s. You can ask your questions any time.

5 hours later…still downloading. At 94% (32.79GB of 34.89GB of a 150MB update). #frustrating

Finally…after almost 6 hours…whole day of flying shot to H37L. Wow.

Exactly the same problem for me. Just kept looping at 112 MB. So I killed MSFS, and now it’s downloading 35GB. As long as it works, that’s ok, my internet is plenty fast and it won’t take long. But, we’ve been seeing a lot of install difficulties. I had a similar problem updating the Carenado PA44 that a lot of people had. Where I had to manually delete the install, and then it installed fine. Let’s hope this one goes ok.

It looks pretty clearly a file permissions problem, that it can’t write or delete files for some reason. My user has admin priveledges. But I didn’t install as administrator, and I’ve heard other people counsel against doing that, I imagine largely because you’ll likely create file access issues.

1 Like

Hi @DFWSupertrooper,
I’ve moved your topic over a few subcategories for installation issues. #bugs-and-issues:performance
Thanks!

Hi,

I had this problem too and after trying for 3 days (I made the mistake of uninstalling the simulator) I only managed to download it when I limited my download to the maximum speed that package downloads were achieving in my case was 20 Mbits.

This problem happened at least for me, because ONE DAY I made the mistake to limit the download speed in the DATA OPTIONS.

Then when you try to download some updates or reinstall the game, your download speed will be limited to the same speed that you set in DATA BANDWIDTH USAGE LIMIT and every time that your download speed exceeds the speed that you set in this option, your download is reset.

I solved my problem of reinstalling the game, by limiting the bandwidth of my network card to 10 Mbits, that way I managed at least to install the game again and set my Bandwidth usage to Unlimited again, now the updates don’t reset anymore.

PS.: uninstalling the game doesn’t solve the problem because the first thing that is downloaded is your profile, with all configurations that you were using before, so the Bandwidth limit is set again even if you uninstall the game.

Sorry about the bad english, I need to use google translator heavily to help me write this message.