Dreamscenery / Illuminators Enhanced Lights Mod Packs

1 Like

I gave in and bought my city, Philadelphia DreamScenery yesterday on my Xbox Series X. Itā€™s a nice improvement with the local major streets and side streets (Broad St, Market. I-95, Roosevelt Blvd especially) Other lighting.

The skyscrapers, those are wellā€¦ok. Bit TOO vivid, colorful. I can nitpick that itā€™s not quite accurate. The tallest in the city - in tis sim at least, Comcast Ctr. is not a vivid green color. The iconic old City Hall, could have had a light or 2 placed at the topā€¦this still remains dark. Ben Franklin Bridge is a bright yellow, not accurateā€¦if itā€™s updated to the usual blue and not as intense, then cool.

It does take up a large area, expending into Chester, PA (south of the airport) and adds light to MLS Philadelphia Unionā€™s Subaru Park with lights. and does go pretty deep into NE Philly area. Blends nicely into the default lighting north of Philadelphia into the suburbs where I am.

In the end, I still think this is a welcome improvement, at least I can see the skyline.

I may grab one more city, Miami with itā€™s vivd bright colors would benefit from this, or maybe LA because itā€™s so large in areaā€¦get more bang for your buck. (NYC would be nice, but the WTC Tribute in Light - 2 beams appears as a default - may woke for this upcoming week, but these do not shine after 9-11) $9.99ā€¦for one city adds up. I HOPE DS will have a weekend sale or something, Limited sale of $5.99 per cityā€¦then I would surely pick more up.

*Iā€™ve had MSFS since April, my very add on believe it or not. LOT of cool add ons in that Marketplace, This could be dangerous for my walletā€¦LOL

15 min preview - Philly ā€œEnhanced Lightingā€

1 Like

The bigger cities, they are going to have much more emphasized lighting. I think partly is the developer wants to complete with photography out there that is enhanced. Smaller cities though, they arenā€™t all that over emphasized.

Now I tend to like these packages. If you go with the default, all the buildings all have the same types of lights in the buildings, and it looks computer generated. These packages, they have light sources on the exterior of the buildings, which looks more real. Reflections show up in the water. Off in the distance, you see lights of slightly different color, not all the same like default.

Is it 100% accurate. No. To me though, it is much better. I can get immersed in this, but default, as soon as I notice all the lights are the same, the immersion is gone. So I actually have a bunch of these. All their airport enhancements, I typically had a 3rd party rendition of so I never bought. But this week, simmarket had two airports from the premium or deluxe versions that I donā€™t have 3rd party versions of, so I bought them, but I admit, I havenā€™t tried them out yet.

1 Like

Hi. Iā€™m new to flight simulator. I play on Xbox X series. I bought the Phila night add on but not sure where I load it to play it. Can you help?

Wow! More than the most expensive version of the game itself. $149 is a LOT of cash for an ā€œadd onā€ that appears to do just night lighting at state capitals. Not diminishing the work involved, just wondering who in their marketing group thought that up. Thatā€™s a very limited audience for purchase thatā€™s for sure.

13 Likes

agree. yet I think there are people who will buy this

And a new hard drive to hold it all !! :rofl:

2 Likes

May I ask what are you talking about?
Not on my MSFS PC so I canā€™t check the marketplace.

1 Like

The night lighting add-ons are pretty good. They do make the cities look a lot better at night. However, I think their individual prices are a bit steep to start with (you can get more detailed add-ons for less) and would think those to be of limited appeal and only used where people will fly regularly.

But there are ā€œthoseā€ that absolutely MUST have anything and everything in terms of add-ons I think that will be a more limited group, but Iā€™m betting this will still sell reasonably well at this price.

For 150 dollars , you can literally buy a used Xbox series S for about 200 dollars . Those sceneries are too expensive to start out with and are basically free on pc . Plus looks like a copy paste code to make and tweak . Each to their own , but there is no way I could spend that large amount of money for what they are asking . Next week , youā€™ll have the European version for the same price and so forth . Too expensive.

If itā€™s only for night lighting, it may be a bit steep. If itā€™s custom models for all cities itā€™s pretty good value. Havenā€™t read the description, so not sure.

But luckily no one is forced to buy it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I donā€™t really see what youā€™re getting for your money anyway? Some of the light enhancement add ons Iā€™ve seen add funky multi colours to downtown buildings in various global cities, which has never struck me as very realistic, but what else do they do?

1 Like

I thought I seen already a topic about these addonā€¦ its only US state capitals + W.DC and so far I remember there are things mentioned like 10$ per city ā€¦ If we see the size, these addon seems only place some ā€œlightsā€ , no special models etc. May be its a lot of work in that, but its nothing what I need - for that price I wish me the best modelled and most realistic helicoper model ever :laughing:

EDIT: ah, that 10$ was if users buy single cities. Seems these is a bundle with a special discount.

I have the complete opposite view - those night packs generally produce pretty unrealistic night lighting effects in cities, almost similar to a carnival in the extreme cases. Itā€™s very poor value for money, but I agree someone must be picking these up at these prices.

1 Like

Doubt that price will bother Mr. MS ā€¦ I suspect Mr. MS loves it. ā€¦and it keeps on rolling in.

1 Like

A little too colourful indeed. Itā€™s a nice enhancement, but not sure itā€™s what Iā€™d consider realistic. I have the Miami one. It certainly makes flying there at night more interesting. How realistic it is though is questionable. Iā€™ve never been to Miami IRL, so I have no frame of reference.

1 Like

I think there is a little missunderstandingā€¦ it is not ā€œoneā€ add-on, so far I understandā€¦ it is a bundle of many add-ons from these developer. May be for users which like these kind of add-on, it is a ā€œdealā€ ( compared with price of the single parts ).

But of course yesā€¦ first switch on the brain, before buy such expensive add-ons :joy:

1 Like

An interesting move by the developers for sure.

Not sure there is anything really wrong with it though to be honest. There is a choice to buy and a choice to not buy.

Now ā€¦ if it was ā€˜buy one get one freeā€™ then I would be all in. Bring it on guys :+1:

I mean, what amounts to a ā€œpack of light bulbsā€ for $150?

This cost more than the entire sim itself.

Admittedly, Iā€™ve thought about getting a couple packs, but after watching reviews and even just looking at the MP screenshots, itā€™s not worth it for any of them.

However, I cannot fault DS for their liveries. Iā€™ve bought quite a few of those. Right up there with 4simmers and FSOARES. Quality stuff.

3 Likes

I have Miami too. Although Miami is very colorful. I also like what it does up the coast line.

Iā€™ve developed some free content myself and I couldnā€™t imagine it ever paying off if I charged for it. The amount of time and effort is crazy.

Then youā€™ll be in a panic every sim update for the next decade plus.

2 Likes