Drive space

Hi currently have the game installed on my 250gb SSD, of which I have 45gb free space at the moment. With probable updates in mind should I be looking to upgrade to a 500gb SSD asap? I also have a 1tb hdd but obviously dont want to move FS to that for speed issues.

thanks
Rob

Probably donā€™t need to worry about it ā€œASAPā€ but Iā€™d imagine in the future, yeah, youā€™ll probably want to upgrade. I doubt the official content will be expanding by 45 gigs within the next few months, but if you plan on buying marketplace content and installing mods then it might fill up fast.

1 Like

I wouldā€™nt rush out to buy a new SSD, but start thinking about it.
Wishlist thing :slightly_smiling_face:

If youā€™re o/s is on the same drive:

Recommended free space for normal updates/upgrades on a Win10-64bit, is 30gb to give you an idea.

MSFS can quickly use up many, many gigs if youā€™re nto addons.

On a similar vein, I currently have been using MSFS on a 500G SSD Drive. Did some checking on that drive just prior to loading the recent update 1.12. I checked my hard drive space, it was about 116G. I was concerned about how much additional space would be required, after all weā€™re really only added enhancements to Japan and the USA
I bought a 1TB Drive, and tried the Move procedure suggested in this forum, I expected the whole Flight Simulator to be moved, there was only a few new folders on the new drive.
I updated to the latest update 1.12.13.0, the drive that grew was the old one, now 121G.

I feel that the Move procedure described in this forum seems to be incorrect.
Ran task Manager, the drive that had the most usage was the old drive, not the new one. I feel Iā€™m going to need to uninstall and reinstall.

Which presents my next questionā€¦ but Iā€™ll look for it in a different section of this forumā€¦ Iā€™m not looking forward to redownloading the sim repeatedly if something goes Southā€¦ in the futureā€¦ better to get this moved before the sim gets huge.

Doing it this way, moves not only files related to MSFS but also Windows 10 sandbox files (WpSystem folder) and other folders related for ā€œappsā€. So yes, you will get a lot more files on the target drive.

Thanks for the reply
Seems that in this way you get a kind of ā€˜stripingā€™, the data files on one drive, and the sand box on the other, especially if theyā€™re on separate physical drives. My brief testing with task manager seemed to show some activity on the sandbox, a lot on the original drive.

After looking up how to optimize downloading after install, I copied over the information on the original drive to the new drive, then uninstalled the application. Since the Official folder was brought across, the installer didnā€™t need to download the ā€˜coreā€™ files. The game was ready to play in less than an hour.

I prefer all the game related files on the one drive, so I donā€™t have to dig. Of course flight plans will probably land in my documents folder, if I recall.