Driver Nvidia 496.13 >>> DCH and not Standard

I discovered that there are two kinds of Nvidia drivers, standard and DCH.
I didn’t knew and don’t know either what this means.

I was on the previous version and heard about this one.
When i did an advanced serach in Nvidia drivers, i didn’t found it, only my last version. But i saw that we can specifiy a search for DCH instead of standard. And there this one was listed as the last one.
But the explanation says, check your type of driver, if it is standard stay standard, if its DCH stay DCH, don’t change.
Strange.
Then i found a standard search still in the Nvidia drivers website, and there nothing was specified and this last one, 496.13 was there.
I downloaded it, installed it and check and its a DCH one.

I tried and everything was ok, not sure if i got many differences in MSFS. Maybe i was able to push the render to 130 in MSFS… instead of 120 before…

So, i am wondering what can be that difference between DCH and Standard drivers, and why Nvidia says don’t change the kind of drivers, they cannot be mixed. In fact they can…

Or i will have some issues which i don’t already know …

I never use the standard driver, I use the alternative and it is good.

Should be the same, just a packaging difference - see this:

NVIDIA DCH/Standard Display Drivers for Windows 10 FAQ | NVIDIA (custhelp.com)

thanks, now i know that i should have used DCH drivers, that’s just a bit confusing.
here what they say in this advanced driver search :slight_smile:
but in fact it works fine for me, DCH over a standard… and i am W11 also…

anyway, it sok now and it seems also that they don’t publish new version in standard mode.

1 Like

Interesting as they also say:

which seems to negate that statement (unless I got it wrong)

Yes, right, that’s why its really confusing…
but in fact after a certain level of W10 all install must be DCH, and when you install a version it removes the previous one, so no issue to put DCH after Standard as they say in the statement shown above

It was true, it isn’t anymore on more recent driver versions. So both technically right, just different moments in time.

1 Like

Nvidia shifted to the Windows way of packaging the driver, thats why the new control panel gets downloaded from the Windows store. It is the new standard from now on.

Hello,
This topic is in the VR category.
Is this a VR-specific request?

hmm, not VR specific, i don’t think so, but i am used to post in VR only since so many time :slight_smile:

No problem! I moved it to the PC & Hardware category and re-tagged it with #nvidia.

Definitely the better driver for the sim. What I can’t understand is that W11(dev) changed it back on it’s own without a word to 472.39. I’ve swapped it back now but annoyingly with W11 it takes a gp edit to stop this behaviour which I will have to undo when Nvidia present a new update. Of course it probably just never got included in the latest preview builds which are coming a bit too quickly for my liking so I might have to put a stop on them.

W11 is very bad and has caused me lots of grief since I entered the beta group.

Odd, haven’t had any issues like that with W11 here.

Overall actually been pretty happy with W11 I have to say. No big issues and actually slightly better performance in some games like ACC.

Not a bug, I think the problem is that the W11 dev builds are more concerned with W11 new features than they are performance and MS will have tested on the then current WHQL whereas I got more recent ones direct from NV.

all - May be parallel bug on this in Windows 11 threads. Regardless, I have bugged W11 with MS for four items, volume, keyboard lights, and two other things which slip mind now. The volume with 11-11-2021 update may be fixed, the lights are still not responding. Still checking. WD has program call Drive Utilities, using the latest one from WD, every single time update on Windows, have to uninstall and reinstall that app. Oh, Video Downloader program speed is worse than turtle under w11. Using latest version of it, makes no difference. Someone said to roll back video driver from Nvidia’s laters to an earlier version to fix lights issue. Need to figure out how to do that and try that one. WHQL version seem to be fine on this laptop.

Laptops tend to have tailored drivers and firmware so updating so early to W11 probably isn’t really advisable until the laptop’s producers have got all the bugs fixed.

Yep, asus said it’s MS’s problem. The volume is now working better. Laptop power plan still hosed, cursor still disappears after few seconds. Bugged the power plan again. Two updates yesterday.