Drone Camera in VR Confusion

In 2d the drone camera is easy to use. I summon the toolbar and camera menu/settings screen and go to the drone. The camera menu/settings box follows me to the drone so I can adjust settings and easily return to the cockpit when done.

IN VR I go to the drone and there is no menu bar, no camera menu/settings to adjust the drone, and no way to ever get back in the plane. I cannot find any commands to tell my mouse or XBox controller. What am I missing. Fortunately the drone movement commands on my controller work fine in VR.

Please donā€™t tell me itā€™s keyboard commands because taking the headset off with my glasses on to see the keyboard is miserable.

I am just learning my new VR and Iā€™m stuck on this

I believe by default it is the End button, which is not too difficult to find by touchā€¦ find the arrow keys which are quite distinctive to feel. Move you hand directly forward and you can feel the insert key which is in the middle of three buttonsā€¦ go to the left key then the end button is behind that.

However, I suggest you check out VoiceAttack which is ideal for this kind of thing in VRā€¦ basically uses speech recognition so you can say key words or phrases that Voice attack then sends the corresponding keyboard buttonā€¦ e.g, you could set it to recognise the phrase ā€˜toggle droneā€™ and it would tell MSFS you has pressed the end key. :+1:

1 Like

Just bind one of the buttons on your flight stick to the keyboard commandā€¦.so you can toggle in and out of that mode by using that method and not removing the headset. You will likely be doing this for several things (flaps, gear up/down, brakes, etc) so that you can fly in VR with the headset always on and using the joystick buttons by memory. Of course the mouse on the screen controls some of those things too but there are dozens of keyboard commands and Iā€™ve printed out that list from online and then picked a few I use often and bound them to a button on the stick.

2 Likes

Youā€™re right, we canā€™t see the toolbar or camera window when switching to other modes. As such you need to setup your joystick to control the drone mode and to toggle in/out of it. If you need more buttons then plug in a second joystick or something.

Hereā€™s a tip. Thereā€™s several camera modesā€¦ cockpit view, drone mode, external view, and slew mode. Letā€™s say you want to program 1 button for the ā€œupā€ action. That one button can be assigned to ā€œupā€ for each of those modes. You wonā€™t have any conflicts having 1 button assigned to multiple commands in this case.

1 Like

Thanks Blitzer303 and tempestornado23. I found the commands in the End and Insert buttons and will probably assign an XBox controller button to activate them. Getting out of the VR drone was my main issue but I wonder why the Camera command box does not follow over to the VR drone as it does in regular 2d MSFS? I would like to be able to adjust the drone speeds, focus, zoom etc from that single command box (I donā€™t know the real name of it. - see below it showing in the 2d drone view). I cannot find any commands that would open it there.

Interestingly, the toolbar toggle command that I assigned to my mouse wonā€™t open it in the drone view but will in cockpit and exterior.

The voice command is an interesting solution. It would certainly solve my button shortage problems I have using an XBox controller and mouse.

Iā€™m not just learning how to use the VR, Iā€™m learning the features of a new laptop powerful enough to run it all. Good news, I just discovered what six additional buttons P1-P6 separated from other keys and in a row on the far left of my keyboard are for. They are for adding game macros. So, the harder to locate keys ,when wearing the headset, can be assigned to these easy-to-locate game keys.

I donā€™t really use the drone, but when I did tried it with an Xbox controller I am pretty sure there was a button combination on the controller to change the movement speed and zoom level. The easiest way to find them would be to look what is assigned to the controller.

VoiceAttack is worth checking out, it also works as a demo being limited to something like 20 voice commands, but thatā€™s enough to give you an idea of how you may use it. I also use it in interact with the ATC menu, not very authentic calling out ATC 1 etc. but it works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.