Drone camera rolls left very slowly left with no user input

It is annoying. However, I just reset the drone view back to default, or I could use the 7 and 9 key to straighten out the view.

But it should be not doing that.

2 Likes

I hope they fix this, itā€™s so annoying. Please all report on Zendesk for visibility.

I went through a whole load of key bindings a few months ago and I found multiple instances where default drone and slew bindings were duplicated.
The default mappings were literally all over the place and using the same keys as the defaults for other functions.

I basically unmapped everything related to drone and slew and then slowly built these up again.

No rotation observed. (Although rotation is very sensitive on an analogue axis stick)

I do not think that this bug is related to command bindings (even if they can be the source of similar effects), because ā€¦

when I reset the drone cam, so that it looks straight forward (lets call the the ā€œzeroā€ orientation), then it will not show any visible roll during the next minutes.

However, when I point the drone cam downwards or sidewards ā€¦ so when I deviate away from the ā€œzeroā€ orientation ā€¦ then I can watch how it slowly starts rolling.

I did not yet try to check if the speed at which it is rolling is somehow proportional to the amount of deviation from ā€œzeroā€. I might play with that next time.

Are you stationary when doing this test? (Parked on apron)

No ā€¦ I am flying on autopilot ā€¦

Just thinking out loudā€¦

Iā€™m wondering if camera views have a relationship with motion, vehicle/pilot orientation and/or location.

All the above might change when flying.

Maybe it has to do with the curvature of the earthā€¦ as you move it stays flatā€¦ :man_shrugging: I noticed it too after SU5. I assigned roll buttons on my one controller because of it

@Red4Pushback

Just LOLā€™d thinking what a FlatEarther would think of your answer. They banned me from their site ages ago :rofl:

3 Likes

So I just left my H135 parked at the airport ā€¦ and took the drone cam for a ā€œrollā€ ā€¦ and it is rolling once it is moving (x and z axis).

When I take it up into the sky (change y but maintain x and z) and then take it for a ā€œcrazy spinā€ around the y axis ā€¦ then it also shows some roll error (always to the left). But my feeling is that the roll error is way bigger when the cam moves.

Adjustment for the earth curvature (as @Red4Pushback jokingly? suggested) actually was also on my mind yesterday, because that most likely does require some adjustment (matrix transform) to the camera. But that would not fit with the ā€œspin around the y-axisā€ observation.

Another reason against earth curvature is that ā€¦ if I level out (reset) the cams orientation, so that roll=zero and it is looking perfectly straight at the horizon, then the roll error seems to be gone (or so small that even 10 minutes of flight will not roll it noticeably)

However ā€¦ I do feel that the more I point the drone cam downwards ā€¦ the faster it rolls to the left.

Glad I found this topic, Iā€™ve been noticing this too and itā€™s driving me crazy! Definitely new with SU5

As people have suggested I have tried looking for axes assigned elsewhere and there arenā€™t any.
Iā€™m using a PC. A keyboard! A mouse. A Thrustmaster airbus joystick and throttle quadrant . AND a PS4 controller to fly the drone. I suspect that it doesnā€™t like that latter - what hardware are you using. Maybe MS donā€™t like the controller because it is from a Playstation competitor to Xbox :slight_smile:

I noticed first with my Thrustmaster T16000M, and now with a Logitexh X56. I have no key bindings mapped to drone roll on the sticks, the only mappings are the default Keyboard inputs on the numpad.

Oh, no extras at all - it just rolls. Darn :frowning: Itā€™s probably just another Su5 bug then that we have to hope they fix. There is a KEY setting to ā€œreset rollā€. Shouldnā€™t need it but at least you can right yourself easily when itā€™s got too annoying by setting that up and clicking regularly! We wait for Asobo I guess.

This bug does not seem to have any relationship to input hardware.

Something seems to be broken in the matrix multiplications when repositioning the drone cams origin.
And I double checked ā€¦ it always rolls to the left ā€¦ no matter if I point the cam downwards or upwards.

That key binding (I have another one on my throttle) has become my ā€œbest friendā€ in the last weeks :joy:

I think you might have got it there! Some kind of accumulative rounding error?? Yes always left for me too, so truncating at some digits and slowly error builds. But I have a potential solution for you:
Bind you new favourite keyā€¦ with sellotape :slight_smile:
errr, actually, hmmm, if you were desperate that might well work?! Just as an interim.
But building on that crazy idea I use some software called AutoHot key - free macro/key programming software (for work I have all sorts of hot keys set up). I bet it would be possible with that to set something to send a timed keystroke every, I donā€™t know, 10 seconds. Integrating with a joystick is possible (but difficult) but maybe if you bind roll reset to a keyboard key (I think it might be Num8 anyway?) then that could be trigged automatically every 10 seconds (or whatever).
Thatā€™s a total bodge, but less sticky than sellotape! If they donā€™t fix in WU6 I might give that a go (although if they donā€™t fix the terrible LOD issues I might take a 6 month leave from it)

Yep ā€¦ I would agree ā€¦ this so far seems like the most plausible ā€œeducated guessā€ to me.

The sad thing is there is a big chance this issue will still be here next year. There is a big pile of small issues that havenā€™t been fixed since release. Itā€™s a minor issue but if you spend a lot of time with the drone cam you constantly have to straighten your view which is annoying.

EDIT: The problem is most users donā€™t really use the drone cam that often or simply donā€™t notice it happening, and the way Asobo looks at issues, they look at top votes. This issue will never get high in the ranking. Developers shouldnā€™t look at votes for bug fixing. It works for feature requests but not for bugs as some will never be fixed this way.

2 Likes