Drop tanks (for fuel) on the F/A-18 Super Hornet

Tanks (assuming you mean external droptanks) no idea. Big miss.

For weapons, this is because of the PG rating MSFS sells under, which will change the moment there are native weapons in the base sim or marketplace. So that will never happen

1 Like

On a bright side someone has said they are working on missiles, whether they get there or not is another story, and I think it might be for only 1 plane. Search the forums you should find it look for missiles

I hope we can add the drop tanks in the future. It seems odd they’re visible in the default Miramar scenery. So it’s not an issue seeing them in the game with its rating. But we can’t stick them on the plane :frowning: (xbox user so I can’t get the super warrior mod)

2 Likes

Yeah, it would be helpful to have the external tanks natively in the game for a number of reasons. The Super Warrior mod looks decent, but for the time being I only really want about half the things it does, and in any event it’s currently broken after SU10 until they update it if I understand correctly. Also, it apparently messes up the MSFS model substitution, so I believe you look like an airliner to other players if they have live traffic on.

Hopefully you’ve already seen this since you made this post, but there are now military flight gear avatars that you can select (IIRC a male one and a female one). I leave them like that all the time, so it looks kind of funny when I’m doing a bush trip
 (They should probably have additional models with just the flight suits and headsets for cargo planes like the C-17 and so forth without the parachute harness, survival vest, helmet, and oxygen mask so you can customize to the type of plane you’re flying.)

To give some additional real-life context, external tanks are generally “droppable,” but as previously mentioned this is pretty much only done in a flight emergency and not for tactical purposes. The drop tanks are less expensive than a lot of weapons, but generally aren’t treated as disposable items; I actually wouldn’t be surprised if a 480 gallon F/A-18E/F external tank were more expensive than a plain-Jane Mk82 500lb dumb bomb with just the windmill fuse in the nose and a low drag tail mounted.

While I didn’t fly in the Hornet or Rhino, so someone correct me if I’m wrong, I’m pretty sure from messing with previous sims of those aircraft that you can’t just select and drop the tanks on the Stores DDI format page like a weapon, and you have to use either the big Emergency Jettison Button right below the Master Arm Switch (which gets rid of everything that isn’t on the wingtip or shoulder stations) or use the Jettison Station Select Buttons (left of the Engine/Fuel Display) and the Selective Jettison Knob (and Button, above the parking brake handle).

An example of when you might actually do this is if you’re on approach low and slow and then suddenly get an engine failure. Following the immediate action items (firewall the throttles, flip the flaps switch to half), if you still were sinking (e.g. seeing the velocity vector HUD limited low and hearing “sink rate”) and had time, you might consider punching the EMERG JETT button to try to save the plane if you weren’t over a populated area before pulling the ejection handle.

I would be rather surprised if anyone in the US military (wouldn’t know anything about, say, India vs. Pakistan, etc.) has dropped external tanks to increase combat maneuverability since the end of the Vietnam War, as most air-to-ground engagements since then have been from medium to high altitude, and basically all the air-to-air engagements (Gulf of Sidra, Gulf War I, Bosnia, Syria, etc.) don’t seem to me to have involved enough maneuvering to warrant doing that. Of course if someone is aware of a counter-example of this, please post the story, as that would probably be a good read for all of us.

Hi guys. Since the super warrior mod by TouchingClouds hasn’t been updated for so long and can no longer be downloaded. Does anyone know of a way to add eternal tanks to the Asobo F18? I’m interested to know how to go about doing it or if it needs coding etc etc. cheers

1 Like

Not sure if you can still edit the .cfg files in MSFS 2020 on PC, but if you just want to add additional fuel load, you can just increase the tank size in the .cfg file. I used to do this all the time on previous versions of the sim, but am on Xbox now so can’t any more.