Drop tanks (for fuel) on the F/A-18 Super Hornet

Dear developers and community,

I am over the moon to hear of the recent announcement of the Top Gun: Maverick expansion.
However, I have one question, which I deem important for a majority of users:
Will drop tanks be included with Top Gun: Maverick expansion’s F/A-18E?
By nearly doubling the aircraft’s fuel capacity, drop tanks would greatly increase the aircraft’s usability in the sim.

Best,
Underbird

P.S.:
Drop tanks are not weapons.

I don’t think anything has been said specification wise outside the fact we are getting one, plus possibly another jet or two and carrier operations and I doubt will get much more if anything until the film is out.

With that said, I’d like to think drop tanks would be an option to add them either as a toggle on the fuel menu or under payload. Plus as said. They aren’t ammunition and I can’t see any licencing issues over drop tanks :laughing:

I know you can just refuel mid flight, I often do with my Cri Cri , but that does ruin part of the fun when not fully monitoring the fuel levels.

Either way, you have my vote

2 Likes

I think even when say an F18 based in the United States is ordered to relocate to Europe, it’ll pack nothing except 3 fuel tanks and even then it’ll have to do a mid-air refueling.

per the Wikipedia statistics section on the F/A18, it’s range is at most 2100 miles and i’m assuming that’s with 3 fuel tanks loaded full.

even still, when an F18 becomes engaged, it will more than likely drop its fuel tank if it’s carrying one in order to reduce weight and thus becoming faster and more maneuverable.

I’ll give you the vote, but i don’t see one without the other (which i’m sure if we’re real lucky we’ll see a 3rd party KC135 or something, paid or otherwise)

2 Likes

For reference, may I suggest folks read these comments about Drop Tanks from the E3 Trailer Discussion:

Also, disclaimer, I’m a Naval Aviation enthusiast and Open Source analyst so the following is public knowledge but only of interest to certain audiences; the Rhino (FA-18 E/F) is slowly being equipped with an external infrared air-to-air sensor mounted on the nose section of the centerline tank. That was the fastest and least aerodynamically disruptive way to give it one. This let’s it find and track aerial targets passively.

So it’s not going to be jettisoned under most circumstances because of cost and loss of new transformational “kinetic” (i.e., combat) capability.

2 Likes

Ah that’s really interesting thank you for sharing

1 Like

Thank you for your replies!
@RadicalCavy Has there been an official word we are getting (different) specifications? That would be great news, although I have not seen it myself.
@Portalearth420 That’s why I hope drop tanks will be included, the Super Hornet’s range is not sufficient to properly use it for long range ferry flights in sim.
@CasualClick Thank you for linking that post and your information on other uses of drop tanks.

Best,
Underbird

1 Like

Hiya Underbird,

Currently there is little to no information however there is a youtubers who have covered the trailer and posts from various forums and gaming news sites. All we know currently (to my knowledge) is that Carrier operations, and Mavericks F-18 hornet and reputable speculation based on the cut to a 2nd plane taking off we may be getting a SR72 or similar.

What I say now I am 90% sure is accurate but I may be wrong as my memory is awful and partly is information that makes sense given whats been said so apologies if that’s anything is wrong. In one
of the interviews around the xbox update/top gun DLC, they said a few more surprises would be coming. Also was said we’ll be going to the ‘danger zone’ so it’s possible that was just said to get the quote in, implying jets and carrier oppositions are more dangerous but its also possible that we may have quite a few cool extras that we won’t know until closer or at launch. Sadly the devs will be limited what can say and may even have been told to throw a few misdirections due to the nature of secrecy that Paramount have around the film.

Sorry for the long reply! Hope you have a great weekend.

1 Like

Dear @RadicalCavy ,

thank you for your detailed response. I am not much of a SR-72 fan, but extended functionality of the Super Hornet (systems, carriers, basically anything minus the weapons) would be great. Then again, both a Tomcat and a Mustang is seen flying in the trailer (I believe), so maybe, maybe, maybe …
Have a great weekend yourself, fellow flightsimmer!

Best,
Underbird

1 Like

No worries. Happy to help.

I’m not the best with identifying makes and models currently as only got into aviation a year ago with this launching so could well be was a tomcat and mustang too.

Ultimately I’ll be happy with whatever we get as it’s free. I have the carrier and a few jets already as so fun.

Best,
RadicalCavy

1 Like

Dear @RadicalCavy ,

that’s my opinion as well. Whatever supersonic aircraft we get is great news. Admittedly, the Hornet and Superhornet have always been one of those supersonic aircraft I was least interested in - but I am over the moon we get it in the game.

Best,
Underbird

1 Like

I understand the decision not to add visual weapon models.

But please, consider adding external fuel tanks for longer ferry flights. If there is one plane that needs more fuel, it’s the supersonic gas guzzler.

Thank you.

2 Likes

The hornet should definitely have external tanks… I am sure they will add them at some point. I do have to say it is actually fun to fly out of Miramar. Its no DCS, but still very cool!

1 Like

This guy does not have the proper equipment to fly the Super Hornet

have anyone come up with a mod to have its replace?

2 Likes

I believe this depends on the menu setting. I never changed the pilot setting myself, so I assume setting it to “default” will solve the problem.

They don’t really need to be drop tanks, very rarely are tanks dropped especially in an everyday none warlike scenario

I had hoped it would have a single / twin / triple tank option and pylons, I understand the bit about weapons and have no issue with that,

This F18 to be honest looks silly. It needs tanks and pylons.

Please add them,

Neil

4 Likes

I agree, there is no need to make them dropable, but external fuel tanks should be there.

1 Like

This should be added ASAP they do need to be droppable because each tank weighs over 900 pounds and that would limit maneuverability I think radar should work as well and this should be added with the top gun update they have a lot of time to do it and it does not have to be for warfare just finding other aircraft just like you did with the fsx acceleration f18c hornet

2 Likes

Yeap someone already make a mod to replace the default pilot with a military pilot. Nice! now looks more convincing :slight_smile:

I just wanted to start a conversation about why we have no choice of tanks or weapons on a Asobo built military aircraft. I’m not too much bothered at this time if you can fire or drop them but more for the feel and look of them being attached. Why have Asobo decided not to go down this path?