Dune Expansion Pack Announcement

Here’s a short video from today’s Extended Showcase where Jorg and Parris meet with Dune’s Academy Award-winning production designer Patrice Vermette in Budapest. While there, they tour the actual ornithopter prop built for the movie and talk more about what went in to creating this upcoming free expansion for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

13 Likes

I read the original Dune trilogy when I was maybe 18 or so - probably read those books 5 or six times over the years - the first film was quite faithful to the first book. So far the trailer for Dune2 looks pretty good too. It is good to see Jorg and Perris talking about the original writing with enthusiasm and making this addon for flight sim. There’s nothing wrong with a bit of good clean fun.
They’ve built an Arrakeen sandbox and an ornithopter to promote the film to flight simmers and flight sim to Dune fans. The proceeds will flow back into production costs for MSFS in the main.
Great use of the product as I see it.

5 Likes

Get a big yawn / rolleyes from me.

1 Like

Nice to see that all the comments that are negative in any form are being censored; whatever happened to free speech? not everyone is a sycophantic fan boy for everything microsoft/asobo do. Without negative comments how are they to know that their fanbase is not happy / interested in a product ?

1 Like

Hello,

The only negative comments we do not keep are ones that break our Code of Conduct and use language that attacks or otherwise puts down another user or group of users.

We allow all types of posts, including negative feedback, in these forums.

Thank you!

11 Likes

Ahhhaaaa. Now we only need a little something to get from Urf into the Spice Zone…
Hmmm… lemmethink…. Musk DLC?

1 Like

Don’t care for Dune nor the expansion DLC, but Parris Lilly is the man!:sunglasses:

At least this seems a bit more than the Halo thing which was literally just the “plane”. Here apparently there is custom scenery and a series of missions.

I will give it a try it might be fun since it’s free, although it will almost certainly not interest me after doing the missions once. I’d rather they focus on other things, but perhaps the money was just too good to turn this turn so it’s a net positive.

1 Like

I can imagine that the film studio was keen to sponsor this to promote the movie and their financial inducement was too good for Microsoft to turn down.

However it be, if it helps the sim to survive…

For the folks annoyed by this because of other MSFS issues, keep in mind that it’s not like the artists/designers creating the aircraft and scenery would be fixing code if there weren’t doing this. Big team, different specialties.

I’m looking forward to it. Looks fun.

3 Likes

I never buy this argument. Everything has opportunity costs in the long-run.

Well, you can buy it or not, but I worked at MS for 16 years so I know how software development works. :slight_smile:

More likely than not this was farmed out to an outside developer. Even if it was internal, it was it’s not like you can pull in modelers and mission designers to fix ATC or tweak the broken snow cover. Different skills and specialties.

Variety is fun. You don’t have to like 100% of the things added to the sim. I like about 5% of the stuff on Netflix, but I appreciate that the other 95% gets subscribers to watch it so that the 5% I do like gets funded.

2 Likes

Yep, you are correct. Fixes are pushed down in priority due to what is called “Revenue Stream”. Priority number ONE !

Super excited for this! I hope we’re able to fly the ornithopter in the open world, not just the activities. Also, the Jorge and Paris videos are such fun; i’d love to see them as an ongoing series for MSFS :slight_smile:

I know these collabs aren’t everyone’s thing, but i know people that have gotten into MSFS just because of them. The nice part is that if you’re not interested, you don’t even have to install them. I say bring on the collabs; there’s so much potential for unique and fun additions! Still waiting on my Barbie collab, since the movie’s coming out soon :nail_care:

Any chance this is added in the in-game Marketplace?

It would be good if third party free products were added there.

I never said anything about whether I like this particular expansion or not. And again, everything has an opportunity cost, including content expansions.

Spending resources to farm out content expansions are resources not placed elsewhere. Perhaps that is the highest use of those resources on the margin, but it’s not cost-free. This applies across domains, including software development.

Looking at the cost is not sufficient: what is of interest is the „net sum“ (not sure whether that‘s the correct economical term here), that is the cost vs (potential) income.

And of course we are not just talking about the money being paid by the movie company, but any (free) advertisement that is generated and any potential new gamers that are attracted to the sim. Etc etc.

This applies across domains, including software development. :wink:

1 Like

I’m seeing people saying it’s bad, and some saying it’s good.
Whether people like it or not is based on their opinion, I’ve seen valid reasons for it to be good and bad, a lot of which only apply to people who have a certain playstyle.
I personally think it sounds super fun. I play msfs all the time doing long flight in airliners like alot of people here, but I also like mucking around it say, an A10 when I feel like it. I’m welcoming this dlc, because i think it’s awesome.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.