DX12 not a big announcement?

MSFS has been running Dx12 on Xbox since release. I’m not sure why people think it will make a world of difference on PC.

And they definitely have repeatedly tried to temper expectations in the past two QA streams to this effect, that it won’t be some world changing event and in fact is early and may break things, hence the option to disable it. In fact it will be disabled by default.

Everyone needs to temper their expectations.

2 Likes

It’s been going on for much longer than that. Every time DX12 has been brought up in streams for at least the 6 months leading up to SU5, they’ve stated DX12 wouldn’t bring any real performance improvements. Even in the couple of months leading up to SU5, they were saying how they had identified and optimized several aspects of the sim that were previously causing performance issues, but none were tied to DX12.

However, people are still convinced for some unknown reason that DX12 is going to be their saviour.

8 Likes

‘Control’ and ‘Hitman 2’ run much smoother for me on DX12, especially Control which exhibited weird stutters when going in and out of menus.

I remain cautiously optimistic that there might be a performance increase but time will tell.

1 Like

Hey I’ll take an extra 8-10 consistent FPS anyday!

Then something went wrong in SU6. It seems that they are back to using only one core to its fullest again. Or something else happened. Atleast the CPU load on one core has increased again in su6. Heavier planes with a lot of glass perform worse in su6 than before.

2 Likes

Oh definitely. With SU5 at least on the fbw A320NX it would run smooth. But after SU6, i get the tiny stutters again when moving around on the ground. It’s not as bad as it was with SU4 but it’s definitely back

2 Likes

They were talking at one point about ray tracing coming to the sim at the end of this year but they’ve been quiet about it in recent Q+A’s. It’ll be interesting to see how its implemented when they do bring it to the sim.

I’m not saying there won’t be any immediate improvements. It’s quite possible that people who are heavily main thread limited may see slight performance increases do to improved thread scheduling in DX12. And it will definitely open the door for more visual effects that either can’t be done in DX11 or are too computationally expensive to currently implement.

But there are a lot of people waiting on DX12 with baited breath that seem convinced that it will unlock a world of performance improvements, despite the fact Asobo have repeatedly tried to temper expectations and say there are no performance increases coming with DX12.

4 Likes

I just hope for some more fps in big handcrafted airports where I am heavily main thread limited

2 Likes

That would be LOD related. The refactoring of LODs in SU6 increases draw distances for everyone, even at the same settings as pre-SU6. And if you increase that terrain LOD to the new 400 limit, you’re basically back to the pre-SU5 levels of performance, only without all the stutters and pauses. Those with top tier hardware can do it. The rest of us are left behind with having to lower settings to maintain the same level of performance.

To get the same performance as SU5, I had to lower the terrain LOD to 150. That gave me the same post-SU5 draw distances and level of performance.

At least that’s what I observed on my system. Your results may vary.

4 Likes

That would be so nice if VR doubles especially with the more modern headsets such as the new varjo aero

I just hope DX12 stops those ugly jaggy flickering shadows in the cockpit. I’ll even gamble -5 frames for it.

1 Like

Yeah, that was my guess too. I was never comparing the lods 1:1 but there seems to be an increase at same settings (200 lod). Ill give it a try with lower settings. Altho, the crj seems to work absolutely smooth, while the FBW is a stuttery mess right now…

Id say the majority of people wont even see a difference when DX12 is turned on… It will be like a placebo effect, you will think it looks better, just cos its telling you that its using DX12, but if set side by side with DX11 version, I bet you couldn’t even tell the difference.

3 Likes

The smoothest performance for me is the WT CJ4. Despite using more popout screens for my cockpit than with other planes (4 vs 1-2), it performs by far the best.

DX12 will not magically look better. As long as they dont implement more visual effects to dx12, it will be 1:1 the same.

2 Likes

For us NVme owners a lot will depend on whether they (eventually) employ DX12’s Direct Storage or not. But even then I’m unsure what it will bring although I’m confident loading in big scenery should cause less freezes especially if your ram is not the quickest.

1 Like

Simmers,

Asobo (Seb) was clear in the last Q&A. For now DX12 will be like a direct “to-from” from dx11. Like unplug from one API and plug to another without optimizing. Gradually they will iron out the bugs they said. So lets not expect anything new or different for now. We will probably have more bugs than solution and they will need our support to improve things. Don’t pump up expectations for now.

4 Likes

Yes and I very much plan on using it warts and all until it gets straightened out… I don’t usually do betas but I would for this.

I fully expect you’re right. We haven’t seen much of a smooth ride on any of the updates in the last 14 months, particularly where major changes have been made. I wouldn’t expect anything different this time around.

Technically, we’ve been using one since launch.

2 Likes