Dynamic / Situational Graphics settings for VR

I’m heavily invested in my VR setup. I’ve got a 5800X CPU, an RTX 3090 and an HP Reverb G2.

What really bugs me is that I have to mess about trying to find the optimum settings for my rig but only really for the worse case scenario (bad weather, on the ground, pointed at the gate).

It is the same story for most games in VR, you have to set the graphics for the lowest common denominator to get a nice experience everywhere and 70% of the time your GPU isn’t really doing anything.

What I would like is ‘Proximity to ground’ settings… Taxi / Take off & Landing / VFR / IFR

In Taxi I could have clouds to low, building ultra and super sampling high, in IFR I could have clouds to Ultra, Glass cockpit to high, buildings low and grass / trees to low.

Rather than comprise my entire experience in the pursuit of smoothness, I could change the demands on my system during each stage.

Anyone else interested in this idea?

If implemented right, this could be a fantastic idea.

Excellent idea. There was many iterations of this concept with Xplane 11 to help especially with VR.

Essentially you set minimum and maximum FPS expectation i.e minumum 27 FPS/Max 45fps and then you could either let the wizard completely manage in realtime LOD, Object detail/Amount, etc etc to try and mitigate heavy hitting areas when dealing with dropping Frames to keep with in the threshold set.

Link to this authors work as an example:

Yes that is a great idea and while similar in some aspects to 3jFPS, having automatic optimised switching presets for each flight phase and every conceivable situation sounds even better :sunglasses:

It is an interesting idea but changing the graphics details you mention would involve texture and objects dumping / loading, LOD changes, and would result in massive stuttering / pauses if done dynamically.
What can be done, and already exists in other games, is dynamic resolution scaling. This is a feature that the GPU can do in real time in order to keep the framerate at a value set by the user and provides a seamless experience.
I bet that’s the way the sim will be playable on XBox, also considering that usually XBox users play on a TV and sit at a few meters from it, so many of them won’t even notice the resolution changes. With the XBox version and the PC DX12 version, this feature may be available also for PC users.

I would LOVE one simply for terrain and object LoD. I can safely crank it up to 200 on both in rural or nature areas. But near a city, they have to be at 100 for a solid FPS.

I hadn’t thought of that. I wonder if they could find away around that issue. I’ve heard of dynamic resolution scaling but don’t think I’ve played any VR games that have actually implemented it yet!

1 Like

Being the GPU usually the bottleneck in VR due to the high number of pixels needed, technologies like dynamic resolution scaling and DLSS could be a game changer if implemented.
We will see in the next months…

Would be awesome as I have this problem as well. I’m not sure how effectively they could really implement this though. I think it would have to just come down to some sort of dynamic resolution scaling where you set a target framerate and the sim does whatever it needs to do with the resolution to maintain that framerate. That’s definitely possible. But as far as altering settings like volumetric clouds, antialiasing, etc. on the fly like that, I don’t think it’s gonna happen.

That’s not to say it’s impossible, but considering how often this sim still crashes to desktop nearly a year after release, and how poorly optimized it is overall, I just don’t see Asobo ever making such a thing a priority for the very small percentage of us who use VR, and the even smaller percentage of that percentage who would use such adaptive settings.