Edge graphics issue on Pimax 8kx

I don’t have this problem in xplane or DCS, but in FS2020, when I fly VR with my Pimax 8kx, all the visuals in peripheral area are extremely distorted and disappear/re-appear as I look around. I’ve tried messing with all the PiTool settings and nothing fixes it. I get maybe 60-90 degrees of clear vision in the center areas only. FPS is really bad too short of putting all my settings on low despite top end machine although DCS is just as bad in this regard.

Nvidia RTX3090
64GB Ram
Intel 11900k
NVME gen x4 HD

Have a look at this video. It starts off with his raw reaction, but I think he goes into the correct setup of the Pimax later on in the video. I think he made some more video’s about it as well.

I figured out if I turn high settings off, no HDR, the issue goes away. Too bad

I cant turn off HDR. I dont have that option either in MSFS or Windows.
What helps is to set the Pimax to “parallel projections” . But that kills my performance. Even with a 3090. We need a native support without “parallel projections”
Does not someone know if editing a config file might help already? I heard the issue occurs because MSFS is not optimized for wide FOV headsets. But even with the Pimax set to “small FOV” I can see the awful loading and unloading.
In my mind I imagine there is a config file which sets the angle where MSFS is starting to unload the objects and polygons. This is since the start of VR for MSFS someone must have already found a solution, right?

You can turn off hdr by reducing the graphics settings slider which is what I had to do.

The loading/unloading comes from the game itself and has nothing to do with your headset.

It is a sacrifice to match the game to the outdated xbox hardware.

Beside this, your rig ( same here ) is not able to drive the pimax8kx proper.

Reverb G2 or vive pro is the max the game actually can handle with this hardware and solid 30fps framrate.

Overall the game is in no way optimized for VR, everything they do in the last year aims at an console player in front of an TV.

This is a known problem and there is no (acceptable) solution as of yet. Its on the wishlist though. Very little to no priority. Wide-fov hmds are very niche within this sim. Maybe one day, when things settle down a bit.

I was afraid to hear these answers. This is a huge immersion breaker. I wrote the support. Then they know there is one more user with that issue. Cant believe this is so difficult to fix though.

Totally distracting experience at the moment.

This is how it looks right now for pimax users:

Support contacted me. Here is what they wrote:
“…This is due to changes made in SU5 to add performance. We have received feedback on this and will add an option in the coming update which will allow you to store “out of view” data depending on your preference.”
Well thats great news. I hope “coming update” means the upcoming September update along with the Germany update. FIngers crossed they will include the option mentioned above in that update.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.