Effects Editor - tutorials and effects library project

Some live activity :star_struck:

1 Like

Downwash effect updated for SU5 compatibility. To fix it in R44, copy
Downwash.spb file into
\rsp-r44\VisualEffectLibs\touchingcloud\touchingcloud-effect-downwash\

1 Like

That downdraft effect is pretty cool with the chopper. Iā€™ve been wondering when someone would do that. Seems like thereā€™s a lot of possibilities with these new effects. Looks great.

Now all we need is the ability for the downdraft to blow and bend grass back when we take off and land in a field or grass airstrip. That would be a great effect.

1 Like

great idea, but there is no way to edit wind variables, even with simconnect. maybe some day such thing will be added natively.

1 Like

So is that just an emissive tied to the smoke effect or can we do light/emissives as an effect themselves? I want to do some effects with lighting that controlled by a pilot such as turning on and off hangar lights by switches or proximity. Is that possible before I try too hard at figuring it out?

Actually I meant flame animation can be created, but emissive materials does not work with effects yet (it does not glow). They are going to implement it soon tho

Attaching actual light source to the effect is not possible and not sure is planned, but you can try to attach light to the simobject instead and add some visibility logic.

v0.9 Aerobatics and water drop effects updated for SU6

Downwash and others still broken. Hope hotfix will be released soon, or at least workarounds explained.

Discovered issues so far:

• CTD if you load project XML with VisualEffect.EmitterList nodes presented. Solution: VisualEffect.EmitterList should be replaced with EmitterList in text editor, parameters removed (including GUID) manually or by saving project once, otherwise effect will be not compiled.
  • when you clone effect, generated _edition file does not contain data about nodes positions
  • when you clone effect, material of emitters reset to random GUID (not fixed since SU4)
  • CTD when you are trying to spawn effect with both contact point and node options empty (was spawn on camera previously)
  • wrong effect placement when using Vector3 for velocity/position - replace Vector3 with LocalDirection
  • wrong effect placement when using OFFSET modifiers for Asobo_GT_FX effect template, no workaround found
  • if effect GUID already presented in community, it may stop react on editor changes at some point. game restart is only found solution
  • global coordinates system acting weird - before it was magnetic north/east, now it earth axis without respect of globe curve.

Hi thealx2901! Do you have any idea as to how to replicate the engine blur effect using the node editor? :slight_smile: I am completely out of ideas on this one :).

I think itā€™s not possible yet. At least when I apply ā€œheatā€ material to the effect, quads rendered as black frames instead of actual blur

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m trying to make a large steam effect like the one we see over nuclear power plantā€™s cooling tower.
As everyone know, currently itā€™s only possible to put an effect on a SimObject, so I did on a simple invisible cube.

The effect itself is working fine, but the big problem is I need to get very close (less than 1 NM) for the effect to actually start.

Iā€™ve set ā€œDistanceToNotAnimateā€ to 50000 in the SimObjectā€™s sim.cfg, and the same value in the effect itself (FX editor), but no luck.

Once the effect is effectively started however I can move far from it and it stays alive.
But once it dies, I have to come very close again to start it up.

I donā€™t think itā€™s a problem on my own effect as I see the same behaviour with the AI contrail effects: they start when you are very close from the AI.
So I guess itā€™s an issue from the MSFS engine.

Make your invisible cube large. Like 500m large. Donā€™t forget to add multiple LODs, even if they link to the same gltf file. You can see how I do it in We Love VFR Region 2 add-on.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your reply, Iā€™m gonna have a look :slight_smile:

Working fine now :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi Marko, i have included your wonderful work in my smokes configurator app, i wouldā€™n be possible without your helpful tutorials!

1 Like

Thatā€™s really serious approach, great job!

1 Like

What if the aircraft doesnā€™t have an .XML file associated with it? Iā€™ve noticed that some of the commercial aircraft seem to be missing the .XML file.

Is it legacy aircraft (*.MDL)? they are not compatible with new effect system.
also aircraft can load XML file from another folder by fallback

No, itā€™s MODERN aircraft that just donā€™t happen to contain .XML files. (Could be to prevent the user from making unauthorized modifications or theft.)

Would be nice to be able to stream smoke (from my F-15I), on demandā€“since I canā€™t stream bullets or bombs!

Okay, got it. Files encrypted then - I donā€™t think it is possible to add custom XML in this case.
Only solution I can think of is use SDK FX editor to attach effect(s) to the aircraft manually, but you need to do it manually each flight.

Hey, it has been a while since the last comment on this topic, is this project discontinued, I really want to know if the tire smoke mod still exists