EGGP. Digital Design vs. Asobo

Hi everybody. I have bought EGGP from Digital Design and the last update brought me a free version of it:

1. Should I remove the Microsoft one, so there is no any clash?
  2. Which is better?
  3. Will I lose any custom POI if I remove MS one?

I am asking as I had the same experience with Innsbruck, and I had to remove Asobo’s as the elevation of the aeroport didn’t match and it caused problems.

1. Should I remove the Microsoft one, so there is no any clash?

Yes

1. Which is better?

Personal preference, but I would say, many if not most 3rd party airports are more true-to-life because a team or individual dedicates themselves with more development time to providing that respective local scenery. Reviews can help to determine the quality level and if the representation is realistic.

Will I lose any custom POI if I remove MS one?

If the area is covered by the scenery, therefore it would be overwritten, when the MSFS scenery area is disabled - yes.

1 Like

How do you remove the MSFS Version?
I too have the Digital Design EGGP and think it would be good to keep that as it can be upgraded by the developers

If you select it in the content manager, you will see the button “delete” (or “remove”)

Thank you for your reply. I was hoping somebody already tested it and would say something like “Asobo have this bridge/castle/factory” and Digital Design does not. You will lose it as soon as you delete it.

ah understand, not familiar with this specific airport but usually one needs to disable one of the airports to avoid duplicate airport buildings and strange visuals. Looks funny when you don’t, like the white roof peaks at Denver. :smiley:

1 Like

The Digital Design version is clearly better, especially in the field of ground textures, and it also has plenty of landmarks around the airport that the World Update MS version doesn’t have.

This is not to say that the MS version is bad, but if you already have the DD version, keep it without looking back and remove the Microsoft One.

To respond to question 3, but you may already have guessed, you’re actually losing custom POIs if you use the MS version instead of the DD version. The MS version doesn’t have custom POIs outside the airport. the DD version indeed does.

I’d be iffy advising someone to buy the DD version when they have the MS version for free, but since you already have the DD version, you can be confident in your purchase and keep it installed. It’s great and the MS version is only “good enough.”

Thank you very much for the details. I needed this. The big advantage of DD product is actually landmarks outside the airport that are important for VFR flying. DD version of Salzburg airport is fantastic for exactly this reason. Initially, I hesitated because the thumbnail of the MS version in the content manager has some bridge (see my screenshot in the topic), and just now, I realize that probably that bridge has nothing to do with EGGP as there are no mountains in the area.

Yep, that’s the generic icon for the world update :smiley:

1 Like

I would agree with you< I bought the DD Version in December, I uninstalled it prior to the World Update, but, have since Deleted the MS Version and Reinstalled the DD EGGP. I also have other freeware landmarks around EGGP which dont interfere or conflict with the Default scenery

There is a bunch of free on the flightsim.to. Could you tell, which ones don’t conflict with the DD version?
Flightsim.to • Discover MSFS 2020 Add-Ons

I use all the EGGP approach files by skell300 (except EGGP Approach WITHOUT Mersey Gateway.
I also have Fiddlers Ferry
There is a very good freware EGGP by Superspud too

1 Like

Great, thank you!

Has anyone had any issue with the Digital Design one no longer loading in even if the microsfot one is delted? More importantly anyone know how to fix?

Having a scenery not load is a new one for me, but I have seen partial scenery loads.

The fix was to move the missing scenery up to the top of the content.xml file.

I have the MS Store version of MSFS, my content.xml file is in:

c:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

1 Like

Really strange - it’s not on the Content.XML. I’ve tried to deleted and reinstall but it refused to delete and says it is size 0kb despite me being able to see the files on the system.

ok then there’s your problem. It needs to be there to load. So maybe you’ve installed it in the wrong community folder?

Thanks! That sorted it

That’s great to hear! Happy flying!