Elevator Trim is Broken

Hi thanks for the reply. So as there is nothing wrong with actual operation of the trim, either using the Bravo buttons or the ‘cockpit’ wheel the problem of getting the plane (C152 as its basic) to fly level is probably down to the effect the bindings of the switches on the yoke are having.
I’ve given up using buttons on the yoke, the adjustment is so coarse that achieving level flight is neigh on impossible. Using the mouse to control the trim wheel is easier and after a few corrections achieves level flight.
Thanks for you help. Cheers Noel.

Got the Saitek X-55 here. Have unbound all elevator trim keys except those on my throttle. I’ve tried binding the trim to a number of different inputs but this doesn’t seem to affect the end result. Trim seems to start climbing (nose up) and maxes out. I have to fight it mid-flight to try and correct the issue.

In once instance, I noticed that the trim seemed to be linked to my Stick being pulled back (nose up) which seemed to have the Trim climb in sync with the % my stick was pulled back. I immediately double checked all trim bindings and found that nothing except the Throttle and Num Pad keyboard shortcuts (Default keyboard profile) were bound. Removed the keyboard bindings just to be sure and same issue still.

It’s a little disappointing to see that OP posted in September last year yet I can find no acknowledgement that the bug exists except for in these types of forums where multiple people are experiencing the issue and are pretty much hanging up FS2020 until someone acknowledges and provides explanation or a fix for the issue.

Also have the trim problem. But to me it happened after enabling the AP in Cessna 172. When I enabled the AP, it went completely nose up. My joystick trim would not work. I was only able to fix it by manually going in the cockpit and with the mouse turning the trim wheel until it finally level the plane.

Not to change the topic, but the Cessna Skyhawk 172 AP does also have other issues.

I can also confirm this issue with the DA-62. If I enable the AP and start and ILS approach in high winds and then remove the G1000 AP for the final touchdown I pitch wildly and completely lose the ability to retrim using my bound joystick keys (hatswitch ip/down) There is something about the AP that completely knocks out the ability to re-trim. This is a real pain and needs to be addressed.

I’ve been having issues with the Longitude and TBM when on short final. On several occasions now, the trim will go from normal landing trim to 60% nose down and crash me into the ground. I do most of my flying on VATSIM and this has gotten extremely frustrating to the point I’m considering going back to FSX.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation and guesswork in this thread. This is a confusing topic, since there are a couple of issues that can manifest as trim weirdness. Some of the issues are briefly mentioned in the posts above, but I thought it might be worth it to add some details to them. This will be a long post, but I’m hoping to bring something useful to the discussion.

There are several ways you can adjust the trim, and each of them have some quirks which may or may not be dependent on what kind of controller peripherals you have, how you have mapped the controls, and how you fly the plane. Some of them can be obvious for a long time sim fanatic, but they often forget that the less tech savvy simmers just want things to work without paying too much attention to how to make the controllers work with each other.

The elevator trim generally moves in one of four ways:

1. Using a controller axis mapped as the elevator trim axis
  2. Using a controller button (or the keyboard) mapped to elevator trim up or down
  3. Interacting the virtual cockpit trim wheel with the mouse by clicking on it, or using the mouse wheel
  4. Using the autopilot

Not all of them work together, and some of them work in unexpected ways.

• Issue nr 1: Analogue trim axis (method 1) and autopilot (method 4) do not go together

Generally, mapping an analogue controller axis to the elevator trim is a bad idea. MSFS allows you to do it, but please don’t. This is not a bug in MSFS, but the way trims and analogue controllers work.

Some of the posts above complain about the trim behaving erratically when disconnecting the autopilot. This is most likely due to the trim being mapped to one of the controllers’ analogue axis (often named X, Y, or Z axes). In a typical real aircraft, the trim is in fact an analogue device, where it might make sense to map to an axis instead of buttons, but they work very badly in conjunction with the autopilot.

The autopilot adjusts the elevator trim when it tries to raise and lower the aircraft nose. In the real aircraft the autopilot trim adjustments are translated into the elevator trim wheel itself, so that the wheel rotates when the autopilot turns it. Your computer’s analogue controller axis, however, does not move automatically. If you have set the trim axis to 50% when you engage the autopilot, the autopilot will adjust it along the way depending on multiple factors, and it might be set at 30% when you disengage the AP. At that moment the sim will reset the trim from 30% back to 50%, resulting your nose shooting up violently.

Notice that many trim wheel peripherals, like the Honeycomb Bravo trim wheel might look like analogue axes but in fact simulate button presses instead (via so-called rotary encoders) so they are not affected by this issue.

The linked thread explains the issue far better I ever could, but it is one likely culprit for the oversensitive trim some of the people are experiencing.

In short: if you have a controller that sends continuous button presses to the sim (like an on/off rocker switch), it will trigger a bug where the elevator trim and many other controls are boosted so that pressing the key once results in 10 keypresses. This control acceleration happens whether you use the keyboard, the mouse wheel, joystick buttons or the Honeycomb Bravo or Logitech trim wheel peripherals.

I believe this issue will get fixed in the Sim update 3 scheduled some time in March, but there are multiple workarounds available that you can try if you dare.

• Issue nr. 3: Hidden controller mappings

The OP in this thread touched this subject already, but I want to include this for the sake of completeness.

Some controllers are automatically mapped by MSFS in strange ways, if there are no proper templates built-in in MSFS for the exact controller model. One example is the old CH Throttle Quadrant, which have button detents at couple of positions of the lever axes. In some circumstances some of those buttons are inadvertently mapped to trim up and trim down functions, which will result in the elevator trim shooting up or down when you move the throttle or prop levers.

Make sure to go through all mapped buttons one-by-one and unmap the extras.

Elevator trim is still way too sensitive and very diifficult to control

1 Like

This has been a significant problem since launch that needs fixing.

Oh thank god! I just thought it was cos I was a bit of a noob, or potentially blaming the TCWS’ tiny tiny trim wheel, so I put up with doing the phugoid dance over 1-2000 Ft amplitudes!!

But then I just had an overstress whilst being an idiot outside of FACT, decided to pick up where I crashed and complete the landing (Since it was a 2.5hr flight!), suddenly :
Joystick Axis +/- Y = Trim Controls ?!?!?!?!?!

It’s not like the wheel now controls elevators either, it still controls trim.

So it seems not only is there some bizarre mapping issue, but it really is as sensitive as it seems to you more experienced pilots / simmers?

I don’t really understand why all this discussion and why it takes so long for a fix.
Airplane: Cessna 172
joystick : irrelevant how you map the trim wheel and if you engage the AP or not.
Why irrelevant?
Because the interaction through a simple mouse with the trim wheel of the plane should simply work.
It DOESN’T.
After 5% move either way the plane behaves like an F-16 or a Ju 87 aka Stuka :rofl:
Very disappointing…
In all other games X-10,FSX, p3d you rotate the trim wheel half the distance and the response is what you expect, not so sensitive, normal. . Like in real plane…
I fly an 172 ten years now in RL… :blush:
Please do something…

1 Like

animation is broken too, when you move trims example at ailerons, ailerons doesn’t move in the sky, and you can se how your aircraft roll with neutral position of ailerons and this very frustrated stuff

The animation isn’t broken.
If the your joystick/yoke stays in its neutral position, the ailerons have to stay neutral too of course.

The same goes for elevator trim. That’s one of the major shortcomings of all flightsims when using conventional joysticks.

not at all, in 2000 year il-2 some aircraft when you trim it moves virtual joy and control surfaces, but they have other compromise they moving at 0 air speed, so both is not correct, if you don’t use force feed back joy, air trimmed aircraft have to move control surfaces and virtual joystick and trimmed control surfaces, even if real joystick doesn’t move, because rolling aircraft in real life will use trimmed aileron and, in some systems it will move yoke/joy, rudders, in some don’t but, control surfaces will moves in any way proportional trimming and air speed, so, no, is not animated correct from any point of view

If the virtual stick/yoke and the control surfaces are moving you are changing the neutral point.
If the joystick stays in its neutral position nevertheless, this is equally wrong because the neutral point doesn’t change.

nah, if logic of control surfaces will free of real joystick position but will use air speed factor, so we have 3 compromises, first is what we have right now, second is wat use in old days il2/il2fb, and 3th, what i said, control surfaces will move by airspeed and trim factors, real joy/yoke/rudders(twist) without force feedback just for move control surfaces, not for be equivalent of virtual joy/yoke/rudder position, with this conception is will best compromise, ain’t?

In any case its a compromise and no reason for me to be ‘very frustrated’ or frustrated at all.

i sure is frustrated for everyone, who know how aircraft work, and for you too, if people don’t know why aircraft roll, pitch or slip, they will not confused/frustrated, if know, when they will see rolled aircraft and see neutral aileron at wing so yes, they will confused, frustrated, and something else :slight_smile: may be not consciously, but subconsciously indeed, and subconscious confusion/frustration then broke conscious behavior, and this is not good :slight_smile:
btw, for me my variant even not compromise at all, as i use force sensor joy. and this is not moves at all all the time lol

• I know how aircraft work and again, I’m not frustrated.

• I find it more confusing that you are rolling your aircraft with aileron trim instead of the ailerons.

Most beginners are confused that the ailerons are neutral when turning once the bank angle has been established.

well, i use trims in level flight, why is confused:)? sure you know, so that why you confused subconsciously :slight_smile:
i was beginner in 199x so doesn’t remember what confuse me, i just remember, in any sim first i did is get some alt and push to the spin, and if could in inverted spin, and if couldn’t do that, i was confused :slight_smile: instead f-16 what unstable dynamically and stable statically(relaxed static stability), so instead spin it start to waving by longitude axis, i flew and fight with many beginners(virtual), but nobody told me what confuse them, so i don’t know :slight_smile: but sure, when newbie know how aircraft+air do their job, newbies start subconsciously or consciously to be confused or like me very frustrated, when see inconsistency

Sorry, but your whole last post was quite confusing.

1 Like