Engine sounds stop during ATC calls

Brand new installation of Simulator on new PC. On my last two flights, engine sounds are muted during all ATC communications. Any ideas? Didn’t happen on first few flights so could it be a community folder issue?

Press to talk button is wired to the magnetos?

But seriously, I haven’t seen that one yet. Might check to see if “headphone simulation” is selected in the sound options. I’ve never tried that option, so don’t know if it behaves exactly like that.

Headphone simulation is not selected.

Just tried the sim again using the same planes as the last two flights, from the same airports, with no changes to any settings. In 2d mode, no problem at all. In VR (my only choice for flying) also no problems at all !!

So problem of ATC overriding and cancelling engine sounds would appear to be a random problem.

God, I hate random problems.

2 Likes

There was a difference during that last test. I didn’t hook up my throttle quadrant or rudder pedals. For it to be a proper test, I am gonna have to set it up fully i suppose.

■■■■.

I have the same problem. Sometimes (randomly) after ATC communication engine sounds are muted - I hear only ATC or radio noise. The problem has appeared after recent sim updates. I have headphone simulation on, but it has never been a problem (just interior/exterior sounds a bit muffled).

1 Like

When you say

Do you mean engine sounds stay muted after ATC comms finished or, do engine sounds come back after ATC is finished? i.e. you only lose engine sounds during ATC comms?

It stays muted after ATC is finished - only radio background noise is heard in headphones.
Turning off headphone simulation brings engine sounds back. I have met this problem with C152 and C172. I have also noticed some custom control mappings got messed up - I have rechecked custom profiles for my yoke/throttle and saved the profiles again. Maybe there was some collision with ATC control mappings, although I haven’t noticed any.

I get muting whilst I or ATC talk and then everything back to normal as soon as comm has finished. You’d think it was deliberate to ensure ATC is heard but there is no setting for this and as I say, it didn’t happen during my test this morning.

You’re problem seems different to mine.

Moved to Community Support-Miscellaneous for better visibility.

1 Like

Ran a full test this arvo with all peripherals attached. Could not reproduce the problem. Good news I suppose…until it does it again.

Mine does not get muted but a few times seems to get muffled but only when using an IFR flight plan.
Then eventually I lose the ATC voice.

This does not happen using VFR plans.

I don’t know what to make of all this. So many different issues. No common factors to discuss.

I guess our problems are very similar - if I turn off headphone simulation I get the same problem as you.
With headphone simulation on the problem is even worse - engine sounds do not come back after ATC communication is finished.
Also the problem is random - for me it seems to be “per session”. When I launch the game and start flying it either works fine or stops working after first radio usage. I have never met this problem before the latest update (SU 9/SU 9 hotfix).

Can confirm this issue exists and is like the OP described. Just had it on SU 11…for the first time.
As soon as ATC speaks, engine is muted, but comes back on, when ATC has finished. Weird and annoying.
Headphone simulation only makes things worse, then there is no engine sound at all for me…

Tipps anyone? may be its random?

Had this happen to me today for the first time, while in VR. Engine sounds cut out while ATC voice came on, then returned when the speech ended.

I was able to clear it by dropping out of the VR session with Ctrl-Tab and starting it again (which brings risk of losing audio altogether - a bug which has been acknowledged already).

I am having this problem. Using Carenado C337 SkyMaster II and flying in PC using monitor. I tried changing headphone simulation on/off but no luck.

Edit: It also happens when some audio panel switch is on and beeping (ex. NAV1). It mutes the engine sound every time a beep sounds.

Same issue here, only in VR, since a few sim updates.
The problem doesn’t always occur. The engine sound is muted during ATC messages but also during alarm sounds (beeps)
Not fixed as of today with latest version 1.33.5.0

1 Like

Had this today. Also using VR. Never had this before. Very strange. Have had problems with ATC over the last few days. Putting this down to Asobo doing something.

I’ve just installed a new pc. First flight using standard ATC and this background sound muting when talking is happening to me. I’ll try some more flights and see if it fixes itself. I don’t have VR.