Enhanced API to access all aircraft state and trigger all cockpit functions

I wasn’t trying to play down the importance of the request in this thread. In fact, I already upvoted it because I want to use my Honeycomb units to their full potential.

2 Likes

Great. Thanks.

Well, it says I’m out of votes but I’ll vote this up in spirit

1 Like

Probably because you are a new forum user. Post a few times and then you should be able to vote. I guess it’s to help stop spamming.

1 Like

Voted!! A full API would allow simmers to enjoy the sim further!

1 Like

I just saw on the News Announcements:

Our next monthly Dev Q&A is scheduled for November 17th at 10:30am Pacific Time.

I am so curious to see if they will specifically comment on our request. Very exciting!

1 Like

yes… one of the first things we saw in alpha. … Makes me ask… is this a sim or an xbox game.

I would like to see a Plan.

A heirachical vision for the API, not just events and variables tagged on or rearranged to fix problems. That will lead to a rat’s nest.

I spent many years as a professional software engineer developing a common live interface between CAD modellers, working with 10 major companies world wide.
Weekly phone calls builds a focused team and a very powerful api.

Paul

1 Like

If we want to use MSFS in our Homecockpits, I believe that easy use of MF is a Must. Otherwise … better other simulators

1 Like

Thanks for the positive feedback - but if the API was offering more stable access to all functions, MobiFlight could be even more user-friendly and easier to use.

2 Likes

MS/Asobo said at the very start they would be listening to the users and and give access to VARs for home cockpits SO why do they keep locking us out? :upside_down_face: :rage:

1 Like

i was hoping so badly that they would at least say one sentence in regards to this request during the last Q&A session - but they didn’t :frowning:

we made it into the top20 in just about two months, we have more votes than requests that had been created last year. in my opinion this shows that there is a huge interest in this.

1 Like

A further example that they are not interested at this time – 208/King air … Removed the Conditioner lever being tied to Mixture Axis in SU6 … massive thread about it … They added controls in SU7 however those are not addressable from outside the sim… None of the simconnect variables will change them.

I believe this request for better API access to cockpit switches, buttons, and dials to enable hardware control of cockpit functions is too hard for MS/Asobo to implement now. This functionality should have been systemized at the start of the project, now I believe it is too late and too time-consuming for MS/Asobo to implement. But, I hope that I am wrong.

I’m using the A320 Jeehell FMGS add-on in FSX, which has its own API. Now I want to move to FS2020, but will need to look for another realistic A320 simulator. And then comes the problem… how do you connect this with your own hardware! Started reading about SimConnect, variables, events… what a complex mess!!!

So yes, I definitely upvoted. I hope something happens soon, or I might even never purchase FS2020 (which proofs - more people would buy FS2020 if their SDK would be more “user friendly”).

I did warn you over on the other thread. Perhaps that easy life is looking a better option. :-). Just kidding. You described it well, a mess. A very big one.

Hahaha, yes you are right! You warned me indeed. But I like the challenges :slight_smile: And I found a very interesting post on this forum (you can even call it a book) here.

It’s mentioned few times in that post to “trigger” Asobo on these requirements. But it all looks like they are not really prioritizing this. I think that the percentage of people that want this compared to their total customer base is simply too small :frowning:

According to latest development update (November 18th, 2021 at the moment), this topic was in the row #18 of the wish-list with the status : [Under Investigation] and future release to be done (TBD)

Oh this affects many more than have voted. The problem is many don’t necessarily understand that voting for improving this is directly related to having new features or improvements they want in third party products. It kinda sits in the background for a non tinkering user. A soon as you start to want to tinker though you become all to aware of the SDK limitations. We all hope it’s opened up further.

2 Likes

It’s slowly getting there —

The latest WT NXI shows something interesting… html_ui\Pages\VCockpit\Instruments\NavSystems\WTG1000\MFD\MFD.js Line 6587

`

(function (MSFSAPStates) {
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["LogicOn"] = 1] = "LogicOn";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["APOn"] = 2] = "APOn";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["FDOn"] = 4] = "FDOn";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["FLC"] = 8] = "FLC";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["Alt"] = 16] = "Alt";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["AltArm"] = 32] = "AltArm";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["GS"] = 64] = "GS";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["GSArm"] = 128] = "GSArm";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["Pitch"] = 256] = "Pitch";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["VS"] = 512] = "VS";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["Heading"] = 1024] = "Heading";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["Nav"] = 2048] = "Nav";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["NavArm"] = 4096] = "NavArm";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["WingLevel"] = 8192] = "WingLevel";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["Attitude"] = 16384] = "Attitude";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["ThrottleSpd"] = 32768] = "ThrottleSpd";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["ThrottleMach"] = 65536] = "ThrottleMach";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["ATArm"] = 131072] = "ATArm";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["YD"] = 262144] = "YD";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["EngineRPM"] = 524288] = "EngineRPM";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["TOGAPower"] = 1048576] = "TOGAPower";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["Autoland"] = 2097152] = "Autoland";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["TOGAPitch"] = 4194304] = "TOGAPitch";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["Bank"] = 8388608] = "Bank";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["FBW"] = 16777216] = "FBW";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["AvionicsManaged"] = 33554432] = "AvionicsManaged";
    MSFSAPStates[MSFSAPStates["None"] = -2147483648] = "None";
})(MSFSAPStates || (MSFSAPStates = {}));`

and used like this:

`if (set) {
      Coherent.call('apSetAutopilotMode', MSFSAPStates.AvionicsManaged, 1).then(() => resolve());
          } else {
       Coherent.call('apSetAutopilotMode', MSFSAPStates.AvionicsManaged, 0).then(() => resolve());
          }`

if (!APController.apGetAutopilotModeActive(MSFSAPStates.Bank)) {
            console.log('checkRollModeActive had to set Bank mode');
            this.setSimAP(MSFSAPStates.Bank, true);
   }`
3 Likes