Enormous arc towards the Intermediate Fix (IF)

Can we please get rid of this enormous pattern to the moon and back when selecting an approach? I don’t know where this is coming from, even when selecting an arrival route or manually try add waypoints to mimic the arrival this enormous DME arc like base turn appears as soon as an approach is selected.

Unfortunately this is also what the aircraft actually flies… This is not ok, those points are all “fly-by” waypoint so the aircraft should actually be flying inside of the pattern, not outside!

Instead of this:

It should be more like this:

And then this fly-back bug when selecting direct to a waypoint, so annoying.

Excuse me if a topic already exists on this, I don’t know how to properly call or search for this bug.

Are you using the WT G3000, have you tried seeing how it looks when manually entered in the sim with the TBM?

Yep. So annoying especially as I like the TBM for the quick flying.

It is a day one bug. I have seen the bug listed related to as “turn around bug” or flightplanner bug and listed in the most recent feedback snapshots which the community managers publish. I surely hope it gets more attention.

Some ray of light from FBW, which announced the own rewritten flight planner yesterday. I asked the guy if thoses problems were fixed and he confirmed. Apparently it will be out soon in their A32NX Dev version.

I believe it looks the same on both the default and WT versions and both in menu and in-flight. But I will double check and report back.

1 Like

I think this fly around bug is what happens when you direct to a waypoint, the aircraft wants to fly back to the first waypoint in the flight plan instead continuing on flight plan. I don’t think they mean the ginormous arcs with that, correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

This looks like a USER waypoint, cant you adjust that

I also get this bug using the WT G3000 workaround is to Set heading mode before changes, make changes and then activate the leg you are on From - To - return to Nav
If you try using direct it will break flight plan once your direct WP is reached

I believe the problem stems from certain waypoints, initial approach fix etc, being hard coded to overly on the same track as the subsequent leg. (In this case I’d guess PERHO is the problem waypoint.) When approaching these waypoints from more than a certain degree off this track, the flight plan management system recalculates the entire flight path to meet this requirement.

It’s been like this from day one, and is just plain incorrect. Absolutely one of my biggest complaints about MSFS, as it makes it impossible to use GPS nav in certain situations, especially if online and trying to operate in a realistic manner.

The WT guys know much more about it, as they completely re-wrote the flight plan management system for the CJ4 to remove these gross inaccuracies.

1 Like

I dont know much about what is going on in the background but this makes sense.

The was discussed last year, but nothing has changed yet. With only 23 votes since then, I’ve basically given up on Asobo fixing it, as no one else seems to care, regardless of how integral to a realistic nav simulation it may be.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/strange-curved-flight-plans

1 Like

It might be because last point of the arrival ends with vectors, then the approach starts at PERHO. I guess the flight planning system doesn’t work with discontinuities, the more logical solution would be to knot the last point on the arrival and the first point on the approach together, I will do some more research.

1 Like

Nope, I tried everything. I can select the arrival and it shows ok, as soon as I select the approach it will come up with this weird arc. Punching the arrival in as individual points behaves the same upon selecting an approach.

1 Like

The other way around, this one does not have any discontinuity, C172 steam gauge selected:

Approach automatic:

Approach selected:

Looks about right. My interpretation is as soon as an approach is loaded, it tries to create a “smooth” track to the initial approach waypoint, aligning you with the approach direction by this waypoint.

I assume this is the IAP waypoint?

It seems this “curve” is a fixed value too, and is not affected by aircraft type. Whether in a 748 or a 172, it calculates the same path. Basically this has all the realism of a $5 iPad flight sim.

Well it’s early days, and these are hard problems.

Happens everywhere there is no straight-in. Dubrovnik:

Instead of finishing the SID, flying over (or fly-by) the LOKRU point to the first point on the RNAV approach it creates a fly-by where even the SR71 could turn easily within when flying at MACH 3 (well not really maybe).

1 Like

I like your optimism, but frankly for a product that claims to be a serious simulator, this isn’t really acceptable. No other version of FS or XP (since gps has been included) has ever had these gross flight plan inaccuracies, and that’s going back 20 years.

Yes it is. I don’t understand why it needs to approach the IAF different than any other waypoint. It is able anticipate the turn radius and fly-by en-route waypoints just fine. Should be the same for the IAF … A waypoint is a waypoint …

On the world map there is no turn anticipation shown for any other waypoint if no approach is selected as can be seen below. Why all of a sudden this SR71 MACH 3 turn radius to the IAF?

What is this even? :sweat_smile:

Pretty sure I will get complaints when I try this in real life tomorrow :joy:.

1 Like

This is why Working Title is replacing the flight planning logic of the sim with each improved embedded version of their own starting with the CJ4 and the NXi NavUnits. The large arc is a workaround by the base sim to emulate the tighter turns required by a given approach, primally because the logic makes them fly to make a pass over the nearest Navpoint as a reference.

The CJ4 and NXi, when coupled to the AP can easily and properly fly those tighter turns correctly without having to perform a flyover. As well as understanding procedure legs that the base sim code doesn’t understand, like Holding Patterns.

The G3000 and G3X are still on the roadmap for the same improvements CJ4 (Really a Rockwell Collins ProLine 21 FMS) and the NXi have. So for now, even using WT’s version of the G3000/G3X, they are still subject to the base sim planning and flight execution noted in this thread.

1 Like

But is Asobo planning to do anything about it? I have no doubt WT will fix it in their products, I guess this won’t affect the World Map for example. Somehow even the default G1000 or 3000 can fly any arrival or en-route segment just fine, with the correct turn anticipation. Why all of a sudden this enormous arc, almost bringing the aircraft into orbit?