Enough fighter jets - Turboprop airliners please!

Hi,
I meant the four engined turboprop Lockheed Electra II.

1 Like

A good T-38 or L-39 would make for good civilian go-fast sportsters.

1 Like

As someone above mentioned this bird, my vote would also be for a Metroliner/Expediter/C-26, and almost entirely due to it being powered by TPE-331s. Seriously, has anyone ever been on a ramp and heard the absolutely epic sounds that the Garretts make when one of these beasts pulls up? If so, it probably wasn’t for long since you’d probably be deaf long before shutdown.
Aside from the engines, I’ve been told by some of my friends at Ameriflight that it was also a very hands-on type of aircraft to fly (hardly ever equipped with autopilot) and could burn you if you weren’t careful -especially during engine failures since not many were equipped with autofeather.
This is the kind of old school bird that just seems to check a lot of boxes for me.

2 Likes

Those things are noisy, especially the II which has a 3 blade prop as opposed to 4 blades on the III. No autofeather on it as well, however it had something called Negative Torque System which in case of an engine failure would drive the propeller towards feather but not completely, there was a separate feather handle for going all the way. But that would help you initially to get rid of some of the drag from the windmilling prop.

I used to fly it as a 2 man crew, so no autopilot at all, it was all hand flying. I believe single pilot operators like Ameriflight need to have a working autopilot in absence of an auto-copilot.

It was for sure some of the most fun flying I’ve ever done, really nice airplane to fly.

1 Like

Isn’t part of the problem that Turboprop engines still aren’t faithfully modeled yet. Or are they now simulated well in how they perform.

Also, it would be really awesome if the Beta mode interaction were better modeled. Right now it seems difficult for a lot of people to get working correctly.

Fokker F-50 please. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Where can I vote?

We don’t have many fighter’s actually worth having though a lot are pretty poor, looking forward to milviz F-4 and heatblur F-14 though.

I’d like to see more classic airliners like the Lockheed Electra L-188.

Really wanting a Saab S340 in the sim.

6 Likes

The assets are from Heatblur but it’s IndiaFoxtEcho that are actually developing all the systems and flight model for MSFS.

Yep still looking forward to it :+1:

Whether we need more fighter jets or not, We need more Turboprop airliners, full stop.

Title need only be “We NEED more Turboprop Airliners, Please!”

8 Likes

The thing is though, fighters are not the best fit for MSFS which doesn’t feature any aerial combat functions. Maybe if there was an aerial combat module, along the same lines as the racing module? Either way, whether they are worth having or not, just looking at the marketplace, there are altogether too many military aircraft of varying degrees of fidelity around and far too few turboprops. The next single engine turboprop is apparently the TBM 850 and we already have a TBM! why not the turbo malibu, or a decent caravan (sorry Asobo, the current one sucks) or a Cheyenne? And where are the turboprop airliners other than the bandeirante? YS-11, L-188 electra, Viscount, Saab 340, HS 748, Fokkers F-27 and F-50, Dart herald, Vanguard?? And in the jets area, where are the learjets, the dassaults, the jetstreams? It’s always another 737 or another airbus. We have competing models of aircraft where one would be just fine - PC-24, V-tail bonanza, PC-6
 We need more variety, not competing iterations of the same aircraft.

4 Likes

Every type of aicraft is good fit for MSFS, there’s a lot more to jet fighters than just pew pew. They’re just good fun to fly and can be quite challenging as well depending on the product.

Anyway, as to the marketplace a huge number of those military planes are from MScenery which are incredibly low effort cash grabs that barely even function, hardly fair to compare them to decently modelled turboprop planes.

I hope you do get some more turboprops, I ain’t a fan of them but variety is the spice of life and every plane should have a home inside the sim!

1 Like

It’s absolutely ridiculous to decide for other people what planes they’d like to fly
 SMH

The market and then the developers desire to do the work that are the only things that drive what planes are developed.

Same-even if Carenado eventually brings their S340 to the sim.

Yup, had it in XP11 and would buy their version in a heartbeat if they release it. I’m a fan of Carenado aircraft. They are saying they plan to bring all their aircraft to MSFS so hopefully the S340 is on the horizon as well as a few others such as the DO228 and B1900D.

2 Likes