Enough fighter jets - Turboprop airliners please!

Please, before yet another fighter jet, can we have a SAAB 340, a Fokker Friendship and a Dash-8? The twin turboprops are sorely lacking. What is Combat simulator for anymore? We have 59 fighter jets of various ilk and exactly two turboprop airliners! 13 turboprop aircraft in total, one of which is a military trainer! Sorry for the exclamation marks, but I think the parade of fighter jets has lasted long enough and we need some classic turboprop airliners and general aviation aircraft. Lockheed Electra, Turbo Malibu, Dornier 228, Fokker 50, and the sweet sweet YS-11…?

20 Likes

ATR42/72 has entered the chat

12 Likes

Hello, you are talking about third-party aircraft, correct? The F/A-18 is the only first-party aircraft.

MOD TRANSLATION:
Why not both?

Por que no Los dos? - MV-22

NAMC YS-11 please, but only if the external sounds can faithfully reproduce the ear-splitting sound of the Dart engines!

3 Likes

100% with you on the Dart engines!!!

Yes, but by that count the recent ATRs were the very first turboprop airliners in the game. I assume third party developers read these forums and perhaps take them into account.

2 Likes

There is an EMB 110 Bandeirante in the Marketplace that precedes the ATR by a large period of time. Granted, it’s a smaller plane, but it’s definitely a turboprop airliner.

1 Like

Waiting patiently for Majestics Q400, and a reputable DEV to take on the DASH8-100/300

The ATR doesn’t have much marketspace in North America, and where it does, it’s mainly freighters which is not available ATM.

8 Likes

Fighters are easy though - all the complex stuff that makes developing a DCS one take several years is missing in this sim, & all the complex systems an airliner has are also missing - plus nobody is pretending their FMs are remotely realistic either ( other than the Hawk ).

Is the turboprop engine module still a big limiting factor? I haven’t seen any updates to it but I can’t say I’ve really been looking. I have vague memories of JF mentioning they were looking at custom turboprop code, but with the amount they’ve got going on right now I can’t see anything new arriving anytime soon, turboprop or not…

2 Likes

Q400, Saab 340, B1900 Please

10 Likes

This is the category of planes I would fly the most, I’d love to see a B1900C/D, Metroliner, Dash 8-100/200, Convair 580, YS-11, Jetstream 31/32 with their respective cargo versions.

3 Likes

I’d like a good Bronco. A fighter turboprop :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi,
Would love to see older turboprop airliners like the Vickers Viscount, Vanguard, HS 748, Fokker F-27, Ilyushin Il-18 or Antonov An-12, An-22, An-24 or An-26, Tupolev Tu-114, Lockheed Electra etc.

3 Likes

Yep, it’s frankly shocking how few proper passenger turboprops we have. Hammered home once more by the so-so ATR.

I’d love a Fokker 27, 50, anything Russian or British, a proper Saab 340… right now I’ll take just about anything with two spinny sticks on it.

I was hoping Carenado would at least get their Fokker 50 out the door quickly because of how… productive they tend to be, but even that’s not available. We had so many nice releases for previous sims! Why aren’t developers making them!

Grrrr. So annoying.

2 Likes

Have to agree with the OP. I know its a case of personal preference but I’ve never felt the need to fly fighter jets in MSFS. I mean It’s not as if you can shoot stuff down in the sim…which as we all know is what they are primarily built for. It would be like releasing a passenger plane but without the ability to simulate passengers lol.

More Turboprops please. If I want to fly jet fighters I’ll fire up DCS.

3 Likes
2 Likes

While this is true, they spend nearly all their time not shooting things down, the argument people seem to use for them being in MSFS. What blows a hole in that for me is the lack of systems available ( most of the electronics including nav gear you’d never have in a civil plane ) which you use constantly. It’s good fun flying fast & low level, but I don’t believe I need to fork out for a combat jet to do that - especially one that doesn’t really pretend very well.

Trainers - and I guess more vintage combat aircraft like the Hunter - are just fast GA aircraft though. I fly the Hawk a lot doing fairly similar things to what I’d do in a GA twin…

PMDG did a Jetstream 41, I think? maybe we can encourage them to revive it.

1 Like

I have heard it said that there currently are major sim limitations that make high-fidelity turbo-props a near impossibility. I don’t remember what those limitations are, but I think they center around propeller drag and feathering. Maybe somebody who knows can chime in here. I’m curious myself.

Aéroplane Heaven Electra exist :wink: