Entering VR: no menus, no mouse pointer; Leaving VR: Sim freeze, 1.18.14 and 1.18.15

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.

• Done, no effect

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

• No

Brief description of the issue:
Since 1.18.14 (occasionally) and 1.18.15 (almost all the time), when entering VR there will be no more mouse pointer and keyboard ESC or arrows will not answer, either. I cannot enter any menu at all. Also the drop down, which I connected to a button on the warthog throttle, does not come down. When leaving VR (by an assigned button on the yoke) MSFS freezes. Task manager says “not responding”, and this will not change until I terminate process.

I tried both, locked mode and legacy mode - no effect. I could manage to on the screen display make the mouse pointer visible and even drop down the menus. But as soon as I put on the goggles again, the mouse pointer will not move but disappear at first action. Thereafter same situation: I connot operate the cockpit except by the buttons I assigned.

And when leaving VR - Freeze …

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

• Sorry, don’t know how to take a screen shot in VR showing no mouse pointer. After Freeze, Sim shows but a black window

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

• Pls refer to description

PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)

• i9-10850k on ASUS Rog Strix Z590-E, RTX 2080S, HP reverb G2

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

• 1.18.14 (occasionally) and 1.18.15 (almost all the time)

Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?

• MS store version; steam not installed

Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?

It seems to me that you have lost focus on your MSF2020 window and instead have focus on the pop-up VR window. Take the headset off and click the mouse in the middle of the MSFS2020 window (the one that show the two eye views side by side).

When you out the headset back on everything should work as expected.

This happens to me sometimes also. I agree with @PScaber that you have lost focus on the main window.

What works for me is either or both of these 2 things.

1. Remove your headset and open task view and then select the main window. You should then hear the engine noise in headset to let you know the main window has focus.
  2. Re-enter VR and wiggle the mouse. If it still doesn’t appear press the “win-Y” key combination while wiggling the mouse again.

Thanks a lot for the replies!

The focus was actually the first I thought of and checked. But without success. Also this wouldn’t explain why MSFS completely stalls when exiting VR.

Meanwhile two more problems showed up:

1. Unability to operate the mouse in the std. desktop menus, i.e. the options (Acutally this was the very fist symptom I found after updating to 1.18.14, I couldnt operate the drop down menu when selecting an aircraft. But as it disappeared after re-boot I didn’t give it much weight.)
  2. Complete stall when exiting MSFS to desktop (not been in VR before). Also no recovery possible, I had to terminate the task.

So, what I finally did over night: Reset MSFS and re-install everything, that is the deluxe and premium parts of it, ~200 GiB in total. Also uninstall / re-install WMR. See if will work now. Also I didn’t restore the community folder contents. Only stuff I purchased form ORBX, hoping that at least this is working …

Regards,
Norbert

Good luck with the reinstall, that’s probably what I would do in these circumstances. Did you notice that there a new version of WMR was released recently?

Thanks, and - I did! I tend to developing the habit of updating everything prior to doing anything on the machine, meanwhile … :smiley:

Hi again,

I received a couple of hints from MS, like toggling the graphics rendering settings, selecting legacy mode for cockpit control, disabling FlyByWire’s A32NX, disabling AI, etc. - all without effect. I also checked HP2 firmware upte - latest version on it.

What I found out in the meanwhile:

1. When entering VR with the main screen, and only then, I’m able to start a flight:
    … The std. gray window “press [D] to adjust pilot view…” does appear
    … All subsequent stept do start a flight need to be done in VR mode, from flight plan to cockpit
    … in WMR settings, the ‘Automatic switchover via headset presence sensor’ must be disabled
    … switchover by “Win + Y” must be enabled, but not done! Just enable VR, that’s all

2. Rendering quality of ground however is very, very poor and blurry, independently from settings
    … VR graphics settings seem to be without effect
    … generated objects are few but with reasonable quality
    … the bing maps photographic rendering is but a color smear

3. When entering after plane and airport setting, e.g. prior to “Fly”, I will end up in a cockpit w/o mouse
    … Also the std. gray window “press [D] to adjust pilot view…” does not appear
    … Leaving VR mode ends up in MSFS not responding and a black window on the monitor

4. After a while of flying I notice two tasks starting: “WhatsNew” and “360°-Video”
    … Both Tasks seem to refer to “WhatsNewApp.exe” in
    C:\Windows\SystemApps\WhatsNew_cw5n1h2txyewy
    … once these two pop up, MSFS stalls in flight:
    goggle view goes black, split view on desktop remains, but frozen
    … FlightSim in Task Mgr shows “not responding” and must be terminated

5. When I change WMR settings such as resolution etc. while MSFS is iunning in VR, sim will stall immediately. While changing, it goes a little postal. As if I was tickling it.

So for the time being, I cannot really use MSFS :,-(

Best regards,
Norbert

1. MSFS completely uninstalled and re-installed (deluxe edition). VR can be entered and left w/o sim stall.
  2. In the content manager added all purchased contents from MSFS store - VR becomes inoperative.
  3. All purchased contents removed - VR operative again
  4. With only purchased airports from the store installed VR can be entered and left without sim stalling.

So it seems to be one ore several of the purchased aircraft from the store causing the sim fail.

I‘d recommend a thorough integration test.

Besides, after 3 days detective work I‘m quite p***ed.