Ever tried flying over Antarctica? Things get weird down there

As the title says. I thought I’d try flying over antarctica… did not expect to stumble into a Lovecraft-inspired “non-euclidian” warp-space with giant grids hanging in the sky…

Or maybe it’s just MSFS that hasn’t been optimized in those remote areas? :smiley:

7 Likes

Oh my god! Looks like at flight simulator x!! :joy:

1 Like

So… conspiracy theories were right then?
Something strange is going on in our polar regions.

I hope they are not coming after the Devs, or Microsoft, or Gates, or us…

5 Likes

I think you just went out a journey beyond sight, and sound.

You have entered…the Asobo Zone!

2 Likes

I wanted to build the south Pole Station and airstrip. When I entered the coordinates and started flying I got a bunch of blue streaks and couldn’t even see the aircraft.

Since most of it is flat and white you’d think it would’ve been the easiest place to get right.

3 Likes

Lovecraft inspired…rofl :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Elder Things had the Shoggoths under NDA, but they rebelled.

Hey, you got some great sun reflections on your aircraft’s fuselage!
Thx for sharing the vid!

It’s a well known fact that penguins are really technically advanced aliens, with an entire religion centered around achieving immortality through mastering the art of trolling.

1 Like

Had the same results flying over greenland

1 Like

Yes, since a flat earth is an established fact among the most upper, or higher, ranks of society, this knowledge must be protected. This is how the secret is kept from getting out to the rest of the world. All for the good one-world government. Muuuuaaaahhhaaaaaaa!

1 Like

Deep down in the depths of Flight Simulator, there’s still a lot of creaking, cobweb riddled FSX code rattling around. And this does indeed look like an FSX bug back from the dead like some kind of zombie. Either that or the devs just made the same mistake all over again, which is kind of disappointing. I’m guessing it’s the result of the singularity in the polar/spherical coordinates (where all the lines of longitude converge) causing extreme distortion and glitching.

They could have at least put that “coordinate singularity” in the center of the Bermuda Triangle. Then they could call all the glitching a feature or easter egg lol

Near the North pole is quite freaky as well

Ground squares keep changing, weird red glow, box cloud formations and of course height map errors.

Put the ground data in pentagons and trapeziums / half hexagons, problem solved.

2 Likes

My Goodness…the end of the video is preety freaking…Thanks for sharing !! :sweat_smile:

I’m sure if you can provide devs with STRM mesh data for the two polar regions they’ll be happy to implement it.

But no stutter at all!

1 Like

There’s an interesting thing in this review of what looks like a very impressive whole Antarctica package for FSX - https://www.mutleyshangar.com/reviews/tim/antx/antx.htm

In this it says although it has the whole Earth too it’s still actually done as flat tiles stitched together. The closer you get to the poles the more compressed the tiles become until you just get radial spokes right at the end.

That’s what I saw at the South Pole in this too.

1 Like

Unfortunately all flight sims so far are bizarre around poles. The modelling method for terrain tiles doesn’t work as it does in lower latitudes. I can see a easy fix for it.

So I tried the basic 172 over the North Pole and had some questions - not sure if it’s the realism or flight dynamics of the cold:

The c172 launched at like 1800 ft. At full power the windshield took on frost. I opened the cabin heater and put to hot. Turned on pitot heat. However, the plane started sinking at level attitude, speed decreasing and eventually hit water. Could this be ice loading on the wing? I couldn’t see any on external views, but it was freaky for sure !

I just came here to post about this and saw that someone had already had a look down there. I was wondering if anyone knows about future updates for the region? Or if they plan to add Teniente R. Marsh Airport? Cheers.