Every time I start it it crashes

So this happened around september. I bought the flight simulator with my dad, hoping it would work. I bought it on steam. My pc meets the minimum requirements, I have an RX580 Series, Ryzen 5 3600 and 16GB of RAM. I spent a whole day waiting for it to download from the launched, not being able to even touch my pc, and when it downloads, I clikc on it and it crashes on the loading screen. I tried everything before uninstalling and reinstalling. I restarted my pc billions of times, I tried running as admin, everything. Didn’t work. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, same thing happened. My dad has told me to try fix it again, I don’t want to install it or anything before knowing that it won’t crash. Any help would be appreciated.

Could be several reasons.

Numero Uno on the list is a faulty addon in the Community folder. But I guess we can scratch that off the list, since it seems you never even got it running.

So number two is overclocking. MSFS is particularly sensitive to slightly unstable systems. So in case you have overclocked either the CPU, RAM or graphics card - and even if you had no problems whatsoever with other programs so far - I recommend switching off overclocking and trying again.

If that also does not apply I can only guess the minimum requirements may still not good enough. You may try to increase your pagefile since 16GB of RAM is very low.

That’s all I can think of at the moment.

Same issue. After about two hours of Landing challenges, total system crash, computer going to standby all fans running full speed and unable to restart even Windows. Required to unplug the computer and reboot. Programs in Windows are running fine but SIM will kill it all during startup. Never got past black screen, followed by crash.
i7-9700, 16 GB, 2060 6GB.
Should I just uninstall and reload, or is it a known issue?

this kind of crash points normaly to a hardware issue… any kind of overcloacking ? what kind of power-supply. And which windows version / drivers you have installed ?

Beside of that and already mentioned before:

have you increased already virtual memory to max 20Gig ?

And NO : starting a Re-Installing-Orgie will change nothing :slight_smile:

That was good idea, I have 512 GB SSD drive and I went for 32 GB. It did not help, so I tried DELL hardware check and it failed miserably at graphic test, same black screen and same noises for the GPU fans. It looks like I need to go to DELL for help under warranty. First, I’ll try NVIDIA if they have any hardware test.
Thanks for you input,
Mike

1 Like

I know this wasn’t directed to me, but I have the latest amd drivers installed, latest windows version and idk what power supply I have but my dad works with lots of electrical components so he knows what he’s doing and he got me a powerful power supply

it had only some questions so that we can help you…

And your answer is, that you think I would blame your dad ? :flushed:

EDIT:
ah… I asked @RiverCrawdad840 … one more point why I don’t understand why you think that

No no that’s not what I think, what I meant is that the psu is good, it is definitely not the problem in my case

1 Like

ah… okay :slight_smile:

I not answered for your issues, because I not own a Ryzen / AMD Grahicscard combination.

So hints I can give is only things like the virtual memory… seems in meanwhile as a fact, that users with less than 32Gig RAM must increase it.

Also have a look into the windows event viewer about the error code.

Since I had a same issue.
Narrowed it to faulty graphics card by running hardware diagnostics. It passed video and CUDA test, but failed on video stress test!!!
Dell is sending replacement card.
My computer runs with the card in place, but SIM takes too much from the graphic card.
Mike
PS
Always trust your dad, I am 71, so that is what I am dealing with my offsprings:-)

1 Like

You were correct on both issues. I received new GPU from DELL today under warranty and it runs fine. I also increased the virtual memory to 64GB and there are no more jitters during flight.
Happy New Year
Mike

1 Like

I had the same issue.
I tried to start MSFS with an aircraft in my community folder which was not updated. So I had to delete it first from my comm folder and MSFS would start again without problems.

Thanks for the reply…

Not many users would accept that hardware issues exist ( we have in meanwhile some cases ).

I have a question:

• can you have a look how many memory windows set for the virtual memory after you playing MSFS ?

It is depicted within the settings page…

I don’t have it set up for automatic paging like you.
Min 16 MB
Recommended 2919 MB
Currently allocated 32000 MB
MFG
Mike
PS
I worked as electrical engineer and I have seen some strange hardware failures in the field!

Memory|360x499

Hi @RiverCrawdad840,

I haven’t set it to “Auto” :wink:

Possible I had should explain why I asking you about the image / helping.

I thought you have set a “custom size” like:

• 4Gig Min and 20Gig Max
    – have in mind: 64 gig is to much, also 32 Gig you will not realy need

Because of this thinking, I would ask whether you can recheck to which size windows then increase the “Current allocated” value after you playing MSFS.

I can not check this, because I own 64Gig Ram :slight_smile:

Yes, it looks that 32 GB memory would run fine without any virtual memory.

I have 16 GB and it takes about 14 GB more from virtual memory. Upgrade to my computer is under way.
MFG,
Mike

2 Likes

Hi Mike,

Very thanks. This is what I want to have confirmed

Thus, it is exactly as expected.

Windows needs, if the game is running, over all around 32Gig RAM and with my recommendation of 20Gig the users are on safe side.

1 Like

If you play longer and change scenery it needs more, but 32 GB is optimal.

1 Like

ah… if users with 16Gig RAM play often these game, what to expect :slight_smile: , then the Min:Value can realy bit higher. Then windows not allways needs to increase the file and it will not fragmented.

So, yes… possible we should change the recommendation like :
Min:20
Max:30

64 seems to much. I have 64Gig installed and have a Min of 1Gig and this was never increased ( and I have lot of memory eating apps )

Just to follow up, I changed the setting for virtual memory to auto and let the windows decide. It runs about 17 to 22 GB depending on the aircraft. It looks like best setting since it takes only what it needs. In your case try to go to “Task manager” => “Performance” => “CPU”. In my case it clearly shows that if I do Landing challenge for New York with 747, I clearly run out of 16 BG just loading the aircraft.
MFG
Mike