Exaggerated up/down winds at high altitudes as before SU10

Hello, unfortunately the exaggerated thermals from SU9 are back in the game.

Once the plane is over land you’re in a non-stop spin that throws you up/down in a completely exaggerated manner. Once the plane is above water, the mechanics are at zero and nothing moves.

This was already a big problem in SU9 and was classified as unrealistic and buggy. It was then solved in SU10 by getting smaller and smaller with increasing altitude. In the Beta it’s back and destroying any immersion at cruise with airliners.

I love it! Best update of airflow ever.

4 Likes

I thought so too at first, felt really great on arrival and departure. :smile:
But that they do not decrease with increasing height is very unrealistic and disturbing. The jets can barely maintain altitude at cruise level despite perfect weather conditions. Like riding a roller coaster

I was flying fenix a320 today it was a smooth flight at cruise. Are you getting that every single flight?

IRL, light turbulence is extremely common.

My second flight today. Really smooth, nothing exaggerated about this.

When somone report something exaggerated it sounds like it happens all the time when it doesn’t. Real weather can really feel exaggerated as well. Turbulence can happen even if it’s not reported too. Weather is unpredictable and the new air system makes it unpredictable and realistic.

And show those debug statistics if you want to report issues. They have implemented a debug tool.

6 Likes

Kindly switch to Presets, real weather is exactly as simulated in the Sim.

1 Like

A video would be handy to see the behaviour.

From my last flight irl which was 12h from SFO to FRA in a 777-300ER I remember the exact same thing.
Over the Sierra Nevada the aircraft was rocking fairly bad so flight attendants were ordered to take seats, over the Atlantic everything was calm. On smaller aircraft the situation for sure would be even worse :wink:

So, I cannot think for myself what exactly “exaggerated” is for you.

3 Likes

It’s not. We are getting closer, but it’s not.

4 Likes

Yes i noticed it too. Flying at high levels FL300 and up feels like flying at 2000 ft as far as updrafts/downdrafts. constant fight when flying over terrain

2 Likes

I just did a flight from CYVR to CYXY last night and experienced a bit of it, but only when flying over the Rockies. If I do flights anywhere else I don’t experience anything notable. Even when flying over Japan with all those mountains nothing really happens.

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?

Yes

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Descending from circuit altitude to land, the updraft is so powerful that at idle and 7.5° nose down, the aircraft is still climbing and accelerating

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

1nm NE of KCXY

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

1610Z - 2022/10/17

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

With live weather

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

XBox series X

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes

During daytime, several occasions, among others SBSV 10/15/2022 1200 UTC, 120/09 . At 500 ft a.g.l. the updraft of 1000 ft/m lasting several seconds.

1 Like

Pattern thermals are a real thing, and they can be quite strong and keep you plenty busy on approach. While 1000 ft/min is a very fast thermal, it’s not necessarily unrealistic depending on where and when you are: it will typically peg a glider variometer, but sometimes glider variometers get pegged. Just not mine, not this year. Alas.

And it’s quite common to run out of lift and start turning home only to find out that the lift is actually quite abundant, but tops out at pattern altitude. Annoying as hell.

3 Likes

I think there’s still some work to be done but it’s better than we had.

And it seems simmers on rails is soon to be a thing of the past :wink:

7 Likes

So true :slight_smile: The air feels like a fluid now while flying.

4 Likes

Yes

Extremely unrealistic windsimulation at low level. ILS24 @ELLX were almost impossible to fly with the 737. It disengaged the autopilot twice and almost rolled the 737 upside down,. Wind was 188/8 with variations up to 15kts, but felt like 50tkts, completely overdone. Its correct that there are windshifts/updrafts due to the terrain there, but not in that kind of intesity at those windspeeds. I can jugde that from my airline pilot experience.

2 Likes

Agree, the current implementation is somewhat overdone imo. To me it also seems to be sort of rhythmic, the pattern of up and downdrafts seems to be the same on every approach but that could just be my perception.

With that said it is much better than previous versions and also much better that having no modeling at all.

Just too much of a good thing at the moment from my limited but real life flying experience.

1 Like

If you experience airflow behavior you think doesn’t feel right, you should look at the new airflow visualizations, see what’s causing it, and report it to Asobo if you find a bug That’s what the visualizations are there for. Not counting the aircraft CFD, There are three airflow simulations running concurrently and they can all affect the vertical air movement when close to the ground.