Example of real aviation simulation adopting more immersive approaches through game engines tech

Hello,

CAE, the real aviation simulation / training company announced recently that it adopted Unreal Engine for their visual system (Article link below).

Now as a choice of tech, I do not want to comment on it specifically but even if I work with Unreal Engine myself and it is a powerful tool for sure that I admire a lot, I am 100% certain that MS/Asobo’s engine, for a digital representation of the world and a dedicated simulation platform, it is more advanced for that purpose.

Also there are many criteria that come into play not mentioning certification criteria etc. So most probably, UE , in its workflows and tools adapted to simulation a couple of years ago, was also adapted to become CAE Prodigy by making a lot of compromises for certifications etc.

Yet I share this also as an example that shows those who use the words “we do not need eye candy we want real simulation”, that real aviation companies like the company where I am or level D sim companies like CAE or any industry that needs simulation based training, want more and more of what we call eye candy on PC Sim forums. The reasons are obviously that they want to use the latest tech to get closer to real life immersion for more modern and convincing training approaches.

Human brains can not remain convinced with a 1990 or 2000 version of the world representation.

That’s why I look forward to MSFS 2024 with its dedicated pilot career or roles and scenarios driven flights because it is also the way we want to train experts in many industries:

And by the way, you can look at this promo video and see the announced features in it vs what we ask for for our PC Sims :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

+10 to all that.

This makes some really interesting points too:

2 Likes

I’ve always thought about that. I’ve done some of those little “full motion simulators” at various museums and they are synced to the attitude of the plane, but not the acceleration vectors, and while fun, I recognized right away that the accelerations don’t feel realistic. So when people talk about 6DOF motion rigs, I’ve always wondered if it accurately produces, say, a somatogravic sense by doing what they describe here, or does it simply match the aircraft orientation?

I’ve never really been able to frame the question the right way and get any sort of meaningful answer, but the video you posted addresses exactly what I’ve thought all these years.

1 Like