Excessive Icing effect

Is it that hard to figure out how to at least decrease the ice accrection rate on the airframe? If the value it’s let’s say 1, can we just reduce it to 0.10 and call it a day at least until more accurate icing models are developed in the sim?!

3 Likes

I have purchased almost every MSFS product since they first came out. Like many of you, I have watched some pretty amazing developments and improvements over the years and, as a result, I have been very faithful to the brand. I had such high expectations for this latest version but it has turned out to be a nothing but a 4 dressed up as a 9. A thin facade running on a legacy. This, compounded with microsoft’s lac luster response and support regarding MAJOR known issues is such an utter dissapointment that it may just be the final straw to my longstanding support.

I didn’t buy this game so that I could spend endless hours on forums fixing problems and finding work arounds (non supported switch panels, unrealistic icing, etc). I am not a computer developer, I don’t want to be a computer developer. I am a pilot, and I bought the ‘game’ to fly in my basement when I can’t in the real world.

I learned to fly in Northern Canada where, like many places I’m sure, it is actually against the law (and not very smart) for pilots without the proper ratings and equipment to purposefully fly into known icing conditions. So, not wanting to find out the hard way, I have made it a point to avoid flying in icing conditions. That said, I have flown in the summer at +30 C and the winter at -30C, in both light rain and light snow, overcast broken and clear skies (VFR only). During this time, I can honestly say that I have NEVER flown or landed a plane with ice on any of its surfaces.

I have seen C172’s frost up with supercooled fuel in the wings after landing, I have seen ground frost form on the wings on the tarmac between flights, but never have I observed a plane ice up simply from flying through the dewpoint in an otherwise cloudless sky. Yet, this happens every single time I try to fly any of the GA planes around my home airport in MSFS.

If the developers had actually set foot in a real plane (this is seeming unlikely) they would be able to confirm this. Why would you put a feature in a program that is so hugely and obviously flawed? Don’t get me wrong, if it were accurately modeled, it would be a great learning tool. But, until it is even remotely realistic, you need to get rid of it COMPLETLY. Don’t make the whole community suffer through your development pagns. Take it away, get it right, then bring it back!

If I could return the program I would. Unfortunately it took 45hrs to install before I could even put a minute on the stick (did I mention I lived in the booneys). So, as I sit here hoping MS will start to take this issue seriously and waiting for Starlink to become available, I will rant…

9 Likes

100% Agree…ASOBO…PLEASE, PLEASE FIX UP THIS HORRENDOUS ICING ISSUE…NOW!!!
Was flying in the southern part of Turkey, just as I was climbing past 5000’… the whole cockpit froze up…this was in Summer with just a few scattered clouds…same icing occurred on the leading edges of the wings and engine cowls. This icing issue has happened a ridiculous amount of times.

4 Likes

This has nothing to do with icing but rather a bug that affects all aircraft in game.

Which bug is that?

The op there mentions airspeed, but it’s ground speed as well. Aircraft will slow about 10-15 kts in clouds and performance suffers. It’s more like power is reduced but without adjusting throttle.
Climbing in clouds is a pain because you are usually at or near max throttle.

1 Like

+1 here. Please recheck the icing physics. Icing in minus degrees if you get in to cloud is instantenous while defrozing it takes long time.

Second problem: I see no effect of the ice on the flight dynamics, only visual. maybe I am wrong.

I cant fly in real weather because of this. Please take it asap.

You can turn off the physical effect but not the visual one. That’s the problem.

The physical effect persists at least partially, even if set to visual-only. So basically you can’t turn off neither of them entirely.

“You can turn off the physical effect but not the visual one. That’s the problem.”

Allegedly. But the last time I got icing, even with the physical effect turned off, I barely managed an emergency landing with the C172 all but uncontrollable.

Suppose the lesson is that if an aircraft is not cleared for flight in icing condition DON’T GO THERE! :smiley:

I think this is true for most GA pilots and aircraft even with ice protection. It’s just not something you want to do if you can avoid it.

That’s not accurate, the visual only button is non-functional, you get the physical and visual effects regardess of your choice. The dev’s are slowly coming to that realization… I hope.

1 Like

I just learned that the DA62 is certified to fly into non icing conditions. If anyone does happen to find themselves in such conditions with a DA62, can you please report if it gets ice built up? (With the anti-ice on, of course).

LOL i think asobo does not even know how to fly aircraft let alone know about Meteorology lol

Some of them are pilots. I’m not sure how many, and there is a good chance that the average dev writing code and implementing functionality is not a pilot indeed.

Well from how the icing currently is implemented it rather looks like a proof of concept that makes sure the visual effect (which looks great on screenshots) is easily reproducible so people don’t miss this out.
And it seems like they just didn’t bother to work on it at all so far, there were NO changes to icing since release. It’s not like they don’t know how it should be, they just don’t seem to see it a priority…
Let’s hope for the best…

3 Likes

This needs to be bumped, here we are coming into Summer, and the icing effects are still not fixed…I mean this is going into 1 whole year with this problem. Vote the heck out of this people! This is a problem! At least give us a percentage slider like you did for everything else!

It is already scheduled for sim update 4, so…

Yes…an off option. Where i come from thats not a slider, nor is it fixed.

And the number of times I have been in a real airplane and experienced icing… all ice collects on the leading edge of the wing (from the pilot’s perspective) within a few degrees 0C.

You see snow when the temperature is below freezing which does not stick to the wings.

You see rain when temperatures are more than a few degrees above freezing.

NEVER have I experienced ice spread across the top surface of the wing or fuselage like is experienced in MSFS2020. Ice only gathers on the leading edge of the wings, nose of the plane or spinner/prop.

I submitted a bug for this on Oct 25, 2020.

So, It appears that Asobo will not fix individual bug reports, but only these “Voted” bugs.

“I Voted”… Hope this helps.