Excessive Icing effect

Agreed!! I have done thousands of hours of flying IRL and have never seen Icing as it is depicted sometimes in MSFS 2020. Don’t get me wrong, I love that Icing has been implemented, they just need to tone it down a bit.

3 Likes

a significant “bit” =)

2 Likes

Also, ice doesn’t normally form on the airframe on jets during flight. Airflow prevents moisture from adhering to most surfaces. The leading edges of the wings and engine cowlings are notable exceptions, which is why de-icing systems only heat these areas. On the ground, sure the ice can form and stick- which is why they de-ice. In flight, you’ll NEVER see a jet looking like this.

4 Likes

Icing (at least on GA aircraft) won’t form first on the windscreen or the leading edges. It starts on small protuberances where it can build easily first such as the landing gear strut, pitot tube, fuel tank vent, etc.

1 Like

At the moment every live flight in clouds forms this excessive icing. I even had it when i flew from San Diego to LAX last night… Now from Boston to NY La Guardia. It’s getting a bit annoying.

One question though, is there anything else i have to do other then the icing buttons on the overhead panel?

So I thought I’d experiment a little with ‘phantom’ systems. After trying anon85311196’s attempted fix, I set several anti-ice and de-ice hotkeys, even though the 172 doesn’t have any of those systems. Sure enough, when I toggled the window and structural de-ice on, the ice disappeared. But it was only visual, I stalled out of the sky after flying for a few minutes in clouds at -3 C, so the effects were still there, just not displayed. Ah, well, worth a shot.

1 Like

it doesnt matter. even with icing on visual only it still DRASTICALLY affects your trim

2 Likes

At this point, upvote and wait for them to fix it.

1 Like

Voted. Please Asobo, don’t make it look like and feel like an arcade game. It should be a simulator, not gta 6.

6 Likes

I dunno…might be kinda fun to jack a Cessna in Colombia and take off with a hooker in tow outrunning the cartel! :rofl:

Totally kidding…agree 100%!

1 Like

The issue has been mentioned in WED’s live Q&A on Twitch. It’s definitely reached the ones who can change it but what they’ll do about it exactly was a bit vague.

I agree. A lot of what was talked about that the community is very concerned about was more sidestepped conversation. Disappointed.

However, my understanding is they will make the modeling of ice better, but MAY add an on/off option? Again, not very clear.

Icing: It won’t be brought in the next sim update – We are going to improve this. We are going to bring a system in which you will be able to tweak the system if the visual effect is too strong. Timestamp: [Developer Q&A Twitch Series: Top Community Question [01.27.21]]

They don’t get the problem, apparently they believe the problem is only with the visual presentation being too strong. Its not only to strong, its also wrong :sweat_smile:. And switching the icing effects to visual only is not working for everyone, somehow it keeps affecting performance. I hope it won’t be their solution to everything, here is a slider adjust it to your liking :neutral_face:.

1 Like

Watching the video, he seemed to waffle on his answer a bit, it did appear at the end that he indicated there’d be an option to turn off icing completely, hopefully that means the effects as well as the visuals, thanks for linking that!

1 Like

My reading is that he said they have a formula from experts and they are not going to change it. They are going to offer three options.

• Tweak the visual effect.
  • Disable the physical effect.
  • Disable everything.

Which is missing the most important option:

• Make the physical and visual effects realistic.
4 Likes

The thing I really don’t get: let one single person use MSFS in icing conditions, show them the plane from the outside and they instantly realize that it is overdone. Totally overdone. How the heck do the guys at Asobo “test” their sim? Blind? Only from the VC? Really not understandable why this does not instantly jump on their schedule as soon as they do one single flight in icing conditions…

4 Likes

Probably for the same reason why the day/night cycles in most open world games are ridiculously and annoyingly short (i.e. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla / Ghost of Tsushima): so the players notice.

I’d rather have more subtlety.

Depending on their source material, wouldn’t that mean taking an aircraft up, and deliberately letting ice build up? Would anyone be willing to do that?

Could it be simulated on the ground in a wind tunnel? Freezing cold air, and spray in fine droplets of water.

1 Like

Fair point. I’m not saying that it would be easy, but the advertising for this sim suggested that these types of difficulties have indeed been overcome and that everything is accurately modelled. I’m sure the information exists somewhere but the likes of Boeing and Cessna are probably not going to share it with MS.

Clarity on the part of MS would be very helpful. If they are not going to change the affect of icing on the flight model, just say so. After listening to the response in the video, nobody seems to be able to say with certainty what they are going to do.

1 Like

That’s the thing. No mention of the source, nor the conditions defined for the parameters programmed. Like I said before, their model would work quite well for modeling snow and ice accumulation on the ground, just the rate needs adjusting to the much slower side, since the jet is more on the stationary side.

Accumulation in the air is way wrong, model is incorrect and even the rate might be wrong too. Very rarely do I see severe icing and even then it doesn’t accumulate in places like the model does now.

3 Likes