Excessive Icing effect

For my opinion is the icing effect also way to fast. lesser then 1 minute at Ground at -11 degrees my Windshield from the A320NX is frozed and fully of ice

The Caravan has no way to combat icing. All of the de-icing and heat controls are INOP. Not exactly a simulation to fall out of the sky every time you fly through a cloud.

Well that’s not true at all. I’ve been flying the C208 this weekend, and it most definitely has working de-ice, for both airframe, and windshield. There is a toggle switch, for max flow, directed towards either. If you toggle it away from the windshield, the it will ice up. Flip the switch, and the windshield will thaw out.

I took it through have clouds yesterday at -30C. Please show screenshots of the INOP switches you refer to. If you watch SimConnect commands, you will see the switches sending commands. IIRC one of them may be INOP, and others like the far right backup switch don’t appear to have a function that I can determine, but they are not INOP.

Just checked now, and none of them are INOP.

at -29°C there is no icing anymore at all.

edit: shouldn’t be

That’s a different argument. There is de-icing. I’m using it right now. -18C, heading towards CYXC. I flip on max flow to windshield, and the windshield clears.

What I can’t tell exactly is how effectively it works on the airframe. I can clearly see my maximum airspeed has been affected, for example. I’m almost out of the heaviest cloud, so I’ll see if my airspeed increases as the de-icing isn’t constantly fighting buildup.

As soon as I cleared the clouds my airspeed jumped 10 knots, and continues to climb.

I have experienced the airframe icing problem in the 172, Sr-22, and G58. The SR-22 is supposed to have some minimal ice protection, but it doesn’t work. It seems the GA aircraft are way too severe on the icing model.

3 Likes

That is at least one part which seems realistic, icing conditions are considered to be nonexistent below -40C, although below -30C I have never really seen any icing ocuring in real life.

So thats the real work around, just select OAT to -30C :joy:

2 Likes

I’m not sure that helps, my little Cessna can’t get to a -30 OAT altitude but at -20 the ice was just as bad if not worse than at -2

Icing is most severe just below 0C, from 0C to -10C is the most hazardous temperature range, icing is still possible down to -20C but likely not severe, below -20C icing is rare but possible until -40C. The amount of aerosols (freezing nuclei) in the atmosphere plays a big role as those are needed for water to condense and freeze. If there is a lack of aerosols water remains supercooled but eventually (I believe around -20C) water in the atmosphere will start to freeze even if there is an absence of freezing nuclei.

Most, if not all cases of moderate icing and the few cases of severe icing I have had in real life were all a few degrees below zero.

1 Like

Here is a good video from AOPA for small piston-powered airplanes.

2 Likes

Is the ‘visual only’ setting bugged?

2 Likes

You can fly over the Sahara at night at-5C and be totally safe from icing but at the same temperatur over the North Atlantic you ice up completey. Climate and humidity is extremely important.

I’ve seen icing a few times over Germany when I flew at around 6000 ft in a C172. I remember one flight, when I flew with my brother, it was absolutely obvious where it came from, it was hazy, there were thunderstorms later at night and CBs were building up in the west. There was very little icing at the wings around the wing bars, the pitot tube and a fine “ice strip” at the leading edge. And there was a bit of carburator icing. I can’t recall the temperatures anymore, that temp gauge in the Cessna is approaximately as precise as the fuel gauges lol, a digital gauge ;D “yes it is warm, naa it’s rather chilly today” ^^ But he noticed the ice first and told me and I was about to ask Langen info about traffic if we were to descend a bit due to icing and the info controller told me that a few minutes further north we should be clear of the haze. And he was right, when we came further to the north it disappeared.

Another time I was taken for a flight in a Partenavia over the Alps to Italy where we had a bit more icing on the wings and the wind shield (no prop in the front, it’s a twin) and the pilot who owned the airplane totally didn’t care. He shrugged his shoulders and said that not avoidable at that altitude here but that won’t do anything, it will disappear once we leave the mountains behind. again: right.

Well, icing is always a matter and always there. You need to be aware of it and monitor it, all above when you have a carburator as you will likely lose some power. But it will NOT throw you out of the sky like in MSFS right now nor will it freeze up the whole windshield in seconds. That’s just ridiculous.

it pretty much seems so. It doesn’t do anything to my DA62.

Yes. It doesn’t work at least for the GA aircraft.

Hi,
I turned it off in Developer Mode and it turns everything off and gives clear skies and summer weather in mid winter. What I turned off was Volumetric Atmospheric effects. Is this the correct item for icing off? If so then I will turn back on and suffer the exaggerated icing effects :confused:

Haven’t seen any comments here in a while, and don’t want this thread to drop off the radar. I know the latest devblog, like the last several, have shown Excessive Icing to be ‘under investigation’ but I really hope, until they actually fix it, they make the Visible Effect Only button functional, so we can at least fly in their version of icing conditions, until they address the actual issues. The Button is there, all they have to do is make it actually work as it says. We’ll see.

1 Like

1 - Today, 27 February 2021, I set the sim to July 27 2020 and flew in Clear Skies at 3000 feet.

2 - I switched on Live Weather for a couple of minutes. Snow and Icing soon prevailed.

3 - I returned to July 27 2020 Clear Skies and Screen Icing disappeared after five minutes or so.

When I returned to Live Weather a second time, I flew on until the ‘Stall’ warning came on and the plane fell out of the sky. 10-15 minutes was all it took.

During my second Live Weather stint, I had Pitot Heat ‘on’ and Cabin Heat and Air were pulled ‘On.’
Icing still excessive.

1 Like

Some suggestion on how a more realistic icing distribution would be from a real world A320 pilot:
(at 11 mins onwards in this video):

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/please-fix-the-a320-visual-icing-distribution/372212?u=robc169

1 Like

Exactly, like I don’t know how many real world pilots in this thread have said like a million times already

Ice accretes on frontal surfaces only in flight, maybe a little flowback in case if SLD but not on the side of the fuselage, cockpit side windows, cabin windows, side of the vertical stabiliser, top of the wing etc. The way icing looks like in MSFS is what you would expect to see after parking the aircraft in freezing fog overnight.

3 Likes

Heya, shout out to the Asobo/MSFS team for creating such a beautiful sim!
I was always wondering about the icing on the A320 and thought it seemed a bit unrealistic - just seen a youtube video by a real Airbus pilot who confirmed this. Please see from 11mins onwards.

Would probably be a set of texture tweaks needed in order to fix this.

This occurs in either the default A320 or A32NX in icing conditions.

1 Like