Exorbitant increase in prices in Argentina

Hello simmers! Greetings from Argentina.

I know it’s a controversial topic, but I want to ask and present the following to the Asobo and Microsoft Flight Simulator team.

What happened to Marketplace prices in Argentina? Prices rose exponentially. Are you aware of the economic situation of the country and the purchasing power of the people? The price of a PMDG B737 can reach a large percentage of people’s basic salary with the new prices. I think you should leave the prices as they were before or at most make some increase but not so expensive in the end. The entire simmer community in Argentina would appreciate it if you take into account what the basic salary is when setting the prices of your products and that you take us into account.

I hope that the prices can be as before or close to that so that the entire simmer community in Argentina can continue to be part of this wonderful simulator.

I will be attentive to any comments. I wish you all the best!

These prices seem to be quite a bit cheaper already than in EU. Im not sure about the salarys in Argentina, but it seems to be that these prices are pretty fair/cheap.

Would be good to know what the prices were for the same products before the “exorbitant increase”`?

The problem really is the runaway inflation in Argentina though, isn’t it?
Just look at this chart
Seems they are trying to just keep USD/EUR converted values roughly the same.

I really feel for the people of Argentina but I don’t think this is MSFTs fault here really. Pretty sure the 3rd party’s wouldn’t just all agree to receive far less if someone buys from Argentina, MSFT is bound by contract here.

Edit: fixed link

4 Likes

It could be there is an automated periodic adjustment based on exchange rates, it would not be out of the question.

Maybe one of the community managers could investigate and advise.

Oh wow, i wasnt aware that the situation in Argentina is that bad. However, yes, it looks like inflation is really crazy right now. Unfortunately, as you said, somewhere seems to be a point, where developers can not accept lower prices, if they want to earn something.

The problem are definitely not the prizes, but the inflation in Argentina. But yeah, maybe there could be some further price adjustments.

Inflationrate of Argentina for reference @thecoronadian your link seems broken.

2 Likes

Yes! All of you are right. Argentina situation and inflation is really crazy. A basic salary is a little bit above U$D100 or U$D150 (using to transform to U$D the called “Dólar Blue” or Parallel Dollar, it have another price than the official Dólar) right now. Besides this, in Argentina we have taxes for 100% for purchases in dollars or foreigners companies. Making climb the price of a 737 for example from AR$20.000 to AR$40.000.

As you can see, the situation is really complicated and disappointing right now.

Thank you all for replying this topic. I only want to show how is the simulator situation in my country.

Thank you again.
I wish you all the best!

4 Likes

Those prices are almost on par with Canadian prices. ARS-CDN is 255:1

1 Like

I have never been to Argentina but know people who have and their comments were essentially “Absolutely beautiful country and truly great people!” plus, funnily enough, “Cannot believe how many dogs roam the streets!”.

I truly hope your wonderful country will one day overcome the economic malaise that’s been happening one way or another for more decades than I can count. Best wishes to you and yours!

2 Likes

It sound like just a few days ago, the Marketplace made adjustments to the currency exchange for countries. There is someone from Turkey who is also complaining about the increase in prices.

For most countries, keeping it a stable price has benefits. The exchange rate may vary day by day, but at least customers know that this addon will be 25 of whatever the country currency each day.

For countries who are experiencing mass devaluation of their currency, eventually this will be extremely beneficial. But an adjustment has to happen at some point. Otherwise it isn’t fair to the developers, because they get paid in THEIR countries currency. If todays exchange rate has you paying the normal $50 for an addon, and 6 months from now, the currency exchange rate has you paying only about $10 in USD for that addon, the developer gets $6 (Microsoft takes 30%). At some point a synchronization has to occur (which is appears did happen a few days ago) and the new set global exchange rate has to take place.

2 Likes

MS don’t change the marketplace or make any adjustments per se. It’s like any other online payment system. Prices are dictated by the American dollar, which is the base value of all the MP products. Conversions to the users’ local currencies is done using the current going global exchange rates automatically. No user intervention is required.

Both Argentina and Turkey are currently seeing massive inflation which is devaluing their currency at a staggering rate and killing its buying power. So what may have been (as a random, non-specific example) a 4:1 rate 2 weeks ago might now be 6:1 or 8:1, or more, making the product “more expensive” in that country’s currency, where it hasn’t changed at all in USD on the marketplace. Nothing is done by MS on the marketplace end. Exchange rate conversion is done by whatever payment processing service MS use using current exchange rates.

People in those countries don’t make more to match inflation unfortunately. They just see their buying power degrade, particularly on a global marketplace. Hence to them, things appear to be getting “more expensive”. In reality, they’re exactly the same price as they were previously. It’s the currency they’re using that’s lost its value.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.