Exploring the world in the Beechcraft Bonanza

Leg 147, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India via Maldives to Koggala, Sri Lanka

DAY01_16.PLN (5.7 KB)

Great day, I solved the terrible stuttering problem I kept getting! It turned out it was from turning the ATC voices off… Every time my co pilot wanted to talk to ATC I got up to a 700ms stutter. Since at low visibility (night / early morning) ATC often denies landing requests, the game enters in a loop where my co-pilot keeps asking for landing clearance. Which result in getting up to 700ms stutters every 2 seconds from 11nm out to the next runway. Bizarre combination of bugs.

ATC voice is back on, co-pilot is no longer allowed to touch the radio. I now either switch frequency or wait until ATC gives up, no answer, no stuttering.

01-15 Coimbatore VOCB 7:03 PM
Bad stuttering already, not even close to dawn, CoherentGTDraw spiking again up to 700ms
Reducing terrain detail has no effect, game is missing many key presses as well, nearly unplayable
01-15 Calicut VOCL 7:30 PM
Cleared up again after touch down, stays gone. Next time just land on a field to solve it…
Stutters re-appear 4 minutes from the airport, like it hates approaches
EUREKA!!! I turned ATC voices off a while ago, after turning them back on, problem solved!
01-15 Cochin Intl VOCI 7:59 PM
01-15 Cochin VOCC 8:05 PM
01-15 9°52’43.45"N 77°21’13.89"E 8:34 PM CTD in heavy storm no visuals, was editing pictures

01-15 Last known coordinates 8:41 PM
01-15 Madurai VOMD 9:01 PM
01-15 Ramnad Naval Air VORM 9:26 PM
01-15 Dhanushkodi Point 9°8’59.41"N 79°26’57.98"E 9:40 PM
01-15 Tuticorin Southwest VOTK 10:10 PM
01-15 Thiruvananthapuram VOTV 10:39 PM
01-16 Hanimaadhoo VRMH 12:05 AM
01-16 Male Intl VRMM 1:03 AM
01-16 Thimarafushi VRNT 1:45 AM Runway missing, just a concrete base for airport
01-16 Kadhdhoo VRMK 1:59 AM
01-16 Gan VRMG 3:00 AM

01-16 Gan VRMG 12:34 PM 587nm to next stop (fly high or lean mixture)
01-16 Koggala VCCK 3:47 PM 20 knot tailwind 196 GS at FL700, slowed down to 178 GS 2 knot headwind
11:03 14 2835 1,792nm 139,510nm

Calicut, coastal city in the south Indian state of Kerala

Which is close to Kappad beach where Vasco da Gama (1460s - 1524) landed in 1498

Cochin International Airport

Cochin aka Kochi on the Arabian sea close to Lakshadweep tropical archipelago

A port since 1341, when a flood carved out its harbor and opened it to Arab, Chinese and European merchants.

Vasco house in Kochi and his original tomb in St Francis CSI church

St Francis is India’s first European church, built in the 15th century. Vasco da Gama’s remains were later moved back to Portugal and buried in 1880 at Jerónimos Monastery near Lisbon.

Chinese cantilever fishing nets near Fort Kochi on the left

Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica Fort Kochi on the right, reconstructed 1880s Catholic church originally built by the Portuguese in the 1500s.

Dawn approaching on the way to Madurai

Near Palkulam Medu

Kottakkalli hills

Sunrise over the Kottakkalli hills

And then I got swallowed by the clouds

Lots of windmills near Thappukundu

Madurai, ancient city on the Vaigai River in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu

Meenakshi Amman Temple, a major Hindu pilgrimage site

Madurai’s skyline is dominated by the 14 colorful gopurams (gateway towers)

A peek inside Meenakshi Amman Temple

Ramnad, aka Ramanathapuram on the Palk straight

Rameswaram on Pamban Island, looking towards Sri Lanka

Dhanuskodi, abandoned town at the south-eastern tip of Pamban Island

The town was destroyed during the 1964 Rameswaram cyclone and remains uninhabited

Dhanuskodi point, I could not resist landing there

On the left the remains of a church in Dhanuskodi

48km the other way is Sri Lanka over Adam’s bridge, now a chain of limestone shoals. It was reportedly passable on foot until the 15th century when storms deepened the channel. The sea still rarely exceeds 3ft in depth along the former land bridge. I’m heading to the Maldives first.

Thoothukudi, formerly known as Tuticorin in the Coromandel Coast of Bay of Bengal

Climbing over the mountain range near Agasthyamalai mountain peak (6,129ft)

Neyyar dam ahead

38% of India’s installed electricity generation capacity is from renewable sources

Thiruvananthapuram, capital of the southern Indian state of Kerala

Sreevaraham temple pond with Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple a bit further ahead

Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple

1729 temple complex with shrine to Padmanabha reclining on a serpent

On to the Maldives, spotted a couple of the 1190 islands in the distance

Hanimaadhoo, just like with the Seychelles, coverage is very spotty. The good half of the island

Unfortunately, not a palm tree anywhere

So many little islands, most of which can be gone by 2100

Hinnavaru, it’s about twice the size in aerial view on Google and Bing, high tide simulator

Kaashidhoo

Palm trees, they are there. I guess no palm tree models yet

Malé, the densely populated capital of the Maldives

(aerial imagery is a mess to the left and right)

Very pretty place with an uncertain future

Rising water isn’t the only problem, safe drinking water another

Coming in for a landing at Kadhdhoo

Hulhumeedhoo part of the Addu Atoll, the southernmost atoll of the archipelago

Gan Airport, Addu City, small island marking the southernmost point of the Maldives

Still expanding despite rising water levels

As with the Seychelles, my impressions of the Maldives were largely formed by Survivor

Back in the days the show still showed some of the history of the places they visited

I made the flight to Sri Lanka today, night time over the Laccadive sea

Arrival at Koggala, Sri Lanka

No lights at the runway however it was in the G1000 and is located in between two lit streets, the black strip ahead, relatively easy landing.

Pretty place with another way of fishing

Tonight I’ll be exploring Sri Lanka, 7:56 PM sunrise.

1 Like