Extreme Turbulence

#PC Steam version, non-developer mode.

Is anybody else experiencing extreme turbulence in cruise? I was flying the CJ4 at approx 220 knots at FL400 over southern Chile (quite mountainous terrain below), and the turbulence was so extreme the aircraft became overstressed and ended my flight? No issues like this prior to SU6.

I flown the L888 heading north and I had a lot of Turbulences in FL370-390. AP disengaged 3 times and it was hard work to handfly the A320 until I got a safe speed to activate again.
But I didnā€™t got an overstressing and I have all settings on ā€žhardā€œ
I guess itā€™s more realistics than before, because I had similar turbulences IRL over the Atlantic a few years ago. They had to stop services.

Isnā€™t this what the community wanted? Turbulent air due to wind gusts were missing prior to SU6. A lot of players are complaining about the lack of turbulent air because the wind gusts are missing. And now that SU6 restored it, weā€™re still unhappy with it?

I usually just turn off Aircraft and Engine stress and damage. Theyā€™re kinda ā€œinconsistentā€ form time to time. I donā€™t want to livestream my 6-hour flight only for it to show a crashed message due to overstressed because of these inconsistent damage model. I keep it off, so if the turbulent is there, I just ride it out without worrying that Itā€™s going to ruin my flight.

13 Likes

Structural Damage. Aircraft can suffer structural damage as a result of encountering severe clear air turbulence. In extreme cases this can lead to the break-up of the aircraft. In even moderate turbulence, damage can occur to fittings within the aircraft, especially as a result of collision with unrestrained items of cargo or passenger luggage. Prolonged exposure to turbulence will shorten the fatigue life of the aircraft.

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Clear_Air_Turbulence_(CAT)

I donā€™t know how much of this is simulated in the sim but turbulences can occure on cruise level. I donā€™t know what you are complaining about. Do you want calm flight every time? And as @Neo4316 said turn off the aircraft damages if you not want them to cause your flight to be ended. I think that option would be good IRL too but there we canā€™t integrate an option like that.

2 Likes

Been there, done that, in the TBM. :crazy_face:

Did you have Sigmets in the area? Look at SkyVector or, if you have it, Aivlasoft EFB that will show you the areas where heavy turbulence are predicted either before filing your flight-plan - or in flight (not recommended). What you describe is not at all surprising or abnormal, especially in this area of the world where winds aloft can be extremely strong, when you add to that a mountainous environment, then you are bound to meet severe turbulence.

Look at SkyVector now and go to the Southern tip of South America, you will see five areas with Sigmet for SEVERE turbulence!..

It has always been like this. We were debating the exact same thing Here back in February. My opinion - turbulence is correct ā€¦ you can get severe turbulence at high altitude over mountains, and in the vicinity of Jetstream conditions - but the overstress model is fragile. Fortunately, you can turn that ā€˜featureā€™ off.

2 Likes

I can relate. I ran into some crazy turbulence last night while flying from Salt Lake City to Ogden in a Beechcraft Baron. The plane was being blown all over the place and was extremely difficult to control. Extreme turbulence + the terrible weather in that area + almost zero visibility + ATC issues with altitude instructions in mountainous terrain = the most white-knuckle ride of my time with the sim. I was so relieved when I finally landed, I sat back and laughed out loud.

1 Like

I guess the overstress model ist really broken after SU6.
I made a normal takeoff with the FBW Airbus and immediately after liftoff got an overstressed message and Iā€™m done.
It was just a normal takeoff, not even near max takeoff weight and no excessive pull during rotate. Guess is the same problem so far.

The Bug/issue should be ā€˜ā€˜broken overstress modelā€™ā€™.

General up & down drafts are non existent and in other areas still limited and not ā€˜ā€˜extremeā€™ā€™ / realistic enough.

2 Likes

The thing with stress damage on engines why end the flight with that? They could just make the engines die. Maybe itā€™s only one engine that got overstressed? Then we could fly with only one engine running. Better than end the flight. Same thing with damaged landing gears. Why end a flight because of that? Let them not move in that state. If we crash it should be ended though. That is the only state it should be realy ended in my opinion. That makes us do different procedures during the flight if something unexpected happens.

The thing we can do to make it realistic as it is now we can turn on seat-belt signs if turbulence happens and reduce the speed to not have the flight ended beacuase of engine overstressed or change the route to get out of the severe turbulences. IRL the pilots need to be aware of unexpected things during the flight because they have passengers onboard. They canā€™t turn on auto pilot and then go to sleep and hope for the best and then wakeup when the descent phase begins.

If we know that we are going to fly over mountains we need to have safe margin on the speed before we fly there because we know it can be turbulence over mountains or change the route to not fly right over the mountains.

1 Like

Do you think it can be random ā€œclear air turbulenceā€ they injecting in the sim at those predicted places in meteoblue? Try those and see what you think. I get much turbulence over those even if itā€™s no mountains in those places. Itā€™s more noticable over mountains though thats realistic i would say.

I had this experience when flying in area where those was predicted on meteoblue over Norway. I was actually scared when that happened the first time :rofl: I realy liked the experience :slight_smile:

They should never remove/limit those kind of things from the sim! Only improve on them. That makes it an awesome experience in my opinion.

2 Likes

Turbulence does appear to be overdone. It is difficult to believe that flying an A320 on autopilot would result in the scale of yaw, roll, pitch and altitude change that regularly occur in the simulator at cruise. I am pretty sure the accelerations would kill passengers. I have never witnessed this scale of effect on a regular flight. I would think the aircraft inertia should prevent this level of response. Never experienced this in X plane.

1 Like

Once again (see post higher up in the thread please) did you check the weather in the area you were flying in before your flight? Did you check Sigmets? If not how can you actually comment on this phenomenon? For easy and fast reference for your future flights, check Sky Vectors (free) and add the weather layers to your map to see those Sigmets, you would be surprised to learn about how a real (heavy) airplane reacts to turbulences. Internet has enough videos and accident reports to explain what happens in the real world. No, as a real world pilot, I donā€™t believe turbulences are overdone in MSFS.

1 Like

Some issues I faced in the cj4 yesterday, the IAS speed went far into overspeed without warning and not due to gradual speed increase during descent. Got massive yaw action. Happened twice. Perhaps something to do with weather layers? Didnā€™t seem normal to meā€¦

Can happen when you switch to a new weather zone.

1 Like

Hi ExpertPrawn985. I have noticed 90 degree sudden yaws, 180 degree rolls with clear skies while on autopilot in the A320. Have you experienced these? Wondering if that would be normal. Seems if this was realistic, airlines would require seatbelts 100% of the time for the few of us that chose to continue flying commercial flights. Also, have not tried to figure out the g forces, but certainly those in the tail of the plane would experience several g forces given those yaw rates. Thoughts? Thanks.

I was going to private message you but didnā€™t see a way to.

Are you still doing Livestreams? Iā€™m always looking for content creators that are also members of the forum.

Yes, agreed!

Where was that (geographical location)? When (time of the day) and what was the weather in the area (Sigmets active?), what were your winds aloft and from which direction, what was the MSA in this segment of your flight?
There are several parameters that you need to control and take note of to understand what is obviously an abnormal plane behaviour (not necessarily a simulator problem), but this is mostly related to 1) the relief, 2) winds aloft, 3) altitude.