Eye adaption has been removed

In the end we don’t have to convince each other. To my eyes the interiors are underexposed now. Auto exposure aka eye adaptation was supposed to help with this because monitors cannot work like the human eye with the same dynamic range as the real world. It has to work like a camera otherwise the result is a flat scene lacking contrast.

The wish topic for a way to adjust eye adaptation goes all the way back to 2020 but was overruled in favor of another forced setting. Now we have one side satisfied while others with a different preference must start wishing to get back to how it was. You won’t for example force a specific setting on all Windows users and keep changing it every other update based on popular vote will you? The first step should always be making something configurable instead of a stopgap. I would vote for options similar to camera settings like shutter speed, metering mode, etc. The drone camera already has depth of field.

1 Like

I assume the existing wish was never in focus and the change was made as a different reason, its just a side-effect we see now. Therefore we have neiter the on/off switch in menu nor the slider with that user can adjust whats needed. May the OP of the existing wish can bring both things more clear into the wish description, but both points are already described/mentioned.

And yes… thats whats I mentioned while ago… too dark, too bright… that not matter if users get the Slider :slight_smile: ( hopefully it is adjustable in general , but think so ).

PS: and reason why I mention that “I” not see more dark is, that we may be think about whether the airplane model or different reason cause the dark cockpits for some users on specific plane

Let me join the conversation. I would just like to point out the fault which Asobo introduced, most likely by mistake, in the latest update 10. The fact is, that the eye adaptation, or better said what is left out of it, has been turned around and works the other way around. This effect does not have a significant impact if you fly smaller aircraft because these have well brightened cockpits (there are pretty much big windows in proportion to the size of the cockpit). However, what happens when you sit in a 737 at noon while the sky is bright and sunny? (noon = the biggest contrast between light and shade) Paradoxically, the cockpit is dark because there is already the very dark shade dominant in the cabin. And what does the simulator do to balance it? So the scenery outside is not too light? The simulator darkens it all even more, including the cabin which is already too dark.

Everyone can test it using the following steps.

If you look in the dark spot in the cabin or go with the camera in the dark interiors you will see how the whole picture darkens even more. Obviously, do it in bright weather.

Having expressed my point of view I would only like to add that a slider would not bring the solution at this moment.

Until Asobo removes the fault mentioned above.

1 Like

Hi all!

I just bought fs. And all i can say is it is unplayable because of this effect. The discussion is been ongoing for 2 years now.

Is there a solution for this?

Is there any plan to fix this?

I think X plane 11 is much better regarding this.

Thanks.

What do you mean by unplayable? I’ve been there since the first alpha and yes the effect may please one less and one more - and the eternal explanations on the part of both parties may well be correct (party 1 - it’s exaggerated and human eye is not a camera etc. party 2 - the effect is ok or at least partly - partly I am) but I wouldn’t call it unplayable. I rather miss the “real world” lighting in XP11 and other older simulators because there it feels like being in a bunker than in a sun flooded cockpit. And even in various videos and comparisons with the real world and lighting you can see how close MSFS comes. Everyone who has sat in a cockpit or in an airplane knows that you can hardly open your eyes because of the light (without sunglasses on a very bright sunny day) and you can hardly read anything - you can see it all subjectively - for some realistic for some not - like many other things - but I would be for an option or a slider - but just because you personally don’t like it, doesn’t mean you have to turn it off ! but I know how the world looks through windows on a sunny and bright day and there MSFS is not far away from it (whether compared to a camera or not) !

I’m one of those who really wants the old eye adaptation back. Having said that … I’ve gotten used to it to a degree. It most certainly is not unplayabe in the slightest.

You might wanna calibrate your monitor or TV if that’s the case. Do it with a Spyder calibration tool or just by eye with a brightness chart:

Adjust the “Brightness” (black point) setting until the darkest bar of the chart is the darkest, without making any of the brighter bars dark too, because that will kill details (black crush).

Do the same with the “Contrast” (white point) setting until the brightest white bar is as bright as it can get without making the second bar just as bright (blown out highlights).

1 Like

If you are familiar with Reshade post processing, it has an eye adaptation effect in Brussell’s library (selectable via installer). I played with it yesterday and managed to get pretty decent results.

If you are not familiar with it, but you want to try, note that the standard version from http://reshade.me only works with Steam version. For MS Store version you need to use special UWP injector fork from ReshadeForUWP

If you can, choose the build with full addon support. It has depth based effects enabled. They can come handy for some other effects. It is available for the lastest official version, but no idea if it’s in UWP version.

If I become happy with a preset I am tuning, I’ll put it on flightsim.to.

That sounds good, I’m sure many will benefit.

And while I’m here this seems a good place to remind folk that have TVs for monitors to turn off features that are designed purely to enhance movies e.g. Dynamic Contrast.

I think developers should focus on simulating the aircraft and not my eyes…

4 Likes