F-18 a bit lacking

Anyone else think the F-18 is a bit lacking?

6 Likes

A little vague. How so?

4 Likes

no MFD functionality
Hud brightness and font inaccurate
No tail markings
No afterburner effects
pilot wearing a ballcap, no helmet

Thats all I saw in the first few minutes of playing with it

2 Likes

For afterburner effects you have to activate the afterburners. By default this does not work off your throttle. Search Afterburner in your bindings and assign the toggle to a key.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll give that a shot! thanks for the info!

I am having trouble with the nosewheel steeringā€¦ does not seem to work although all the other stick planes work just fine. Nothing in my community folder. NO MODS
Edit: Did not mean ā€œStickā€ planes, meant to say ā€œStockā€ planes.

Nav autopilot and altitude hold also work, dunno how to change the heading though since i donā€™t have keys for that.

1 Like

Yea I think so too, itā€™s feels too basic. Itā€™s fun but I think theyā€™ve could done a better job.

1 Like

Yes it is a bit lacking. Full disclosure - I never flew the F-18 or any other ā€œFā€, but I did fly the T-38 for 100 hours in UPT back in the day. This F-18 has nothing like the roll rate that the real thing has, in fact nothing like the roll rate the T-38 had. And it seems somewhat jerky in both axes. Itsā€™ pitch rate is also anemic. As an example, the F-18 in Aerofly FS2 is much better in those terms.

Maybe itā€™s just me, or my Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS x (although that stick works fine with everything else across 4 sim platforms), but I think not. Then again, it IS a comes-with-the-sim airplane, and those have never been all that precisely modeled in terms of performance.

That having been said, it is still fun to fling it around the sky, and you can get your sightseeing done in a much shorter time. ā€œI feel the needā€¦!ā€

3 Likes

HUD brightness, you can increase or decrease it
There is a mod, with helmets.
Afterburner is wir just fine.

You need to make sure pilot is set to ā€˜defaultā€™ in the menu and sometimes you need to reload the flight to see the fighter pilot avatar appear. Its a bug.

2 Likes

Is the F/A-18 DRM locked like the premium planes? If it is not, then I expect this to be the most modded plane in the future.

This just in ā€“ Tried it again today with the new Blue Angels livery, and the roll rates are much better, much more like I would imagine the real thing is capable of. Why this is, I have no idea, and I certainly donā€™t think it has anything to do with the livery, but Iā€™ll take it all the same!

Well how do you know its not miramax / tom cruise that said you cant release the real thing until the movie comes out and this is currently just a place holder for the top gun release. Alot of people were upset when they found out they were gonna have to wait another 6 months for the topgun addon, it could be this is just a temp hold over until then.

The fact that when you click on buttons and it tells you undefined or whatever could mean that the tg release will define them ā€¦ A girl can hope at least Bwhahahahahah! :rofl:

2 Likes

When starting from cold and dark I canā€™t get the radio comms to turn on, after following the full checklist. Is this a bug? I canā€™t see a switch anywhere for avionics and the battery doesnā€™t seem to be enough to enable ATC access.

Edit: I also couldnā€™t shut down the engines, with thottles at 0 and everything off.

Itā€™s a free plane, if you want a plane with full features you would have to pay 40-60$/ā‚¬ for it.

There are some things that Iā€™m sure will be fixed (like audio if you have lot of planes in multiplayer), but for a free plane itā€™s great fun and it will open up lot of great stuff for third-party developers to utilize!

1 Like

No working tail hook either. Iā€™m assuming they will implement it once they bring aircraft carriers to the sim.

Theres a working tail hook, I had it down at KERI after I landed. You have to push the button or no wait I think its a lever on the right side of the cockpit about 1/3 the way down.

The real killer is (and I found this out the hard way) is there is no FLIR, now how am I supposed to fly 50ā€™ agl at night with no FLIRā€¦thats it now its unplayable ROFL!!!

3 Likes

It works now after restarting the sim. Wasnā€™t doing anything before.

Yep. Contrast that with the F18 that came with FSX acceleration. It was much much better

1 Like