F-18 broken flaps

Flaps have a mind of there own on the hornet

1 Like

Can you before specific? I flew the hornet and the flaps worked like they are suppose to according to the POH. They are not like the flaps on a Cessna!

You need to turn all the assists off

The F/A-18E irl has automatic flaps, you also got a switch for that in cockpit.
That’s not a bug, it’s a real life feature: they are going to extend when airspeed drops.

So if OP does not wanna say something else than “Flaps extend on their own when flying slow while flaps switch is set to “Auto”” it’s simply NOT A BUG.

8 Likes

In auto mode, flaps will “have a mind of their own” and adjust based on airspeed to give you the most lift.
In half mode they are set to half for takeoff.
In full mode they are set full down for landing.

1 Like

glad to have found this information. I do wonder why the flaps adjust so much on taxing though. Is this also normal IRL? thanks, Tim

Is there any tutorial how to disable the auto flaps? may be in the cfg file?

Note, the flaps even in up-auto should not move on deck; with weight on wheels they should be at certain angles depending on configuration and selected flap position.

Why would you want to do that? They are a fundamental part of the fly-by-wire system.

2 Likes

I have a related question about F-18. When on the ground the control surfaces (ailerons and elevator) can rotate much more (larger angle) than when in the air. It looks like it also depends on the aircraft speed. So the question is how can I turn off that automatic behavior and have full control regardless of my speed? I’m ok if it will stall or even spin - just turn off those safety features. Is there a way to do so?
Thanks

It’s fly by wire
I don’t believe there is a way to do that

Do you mean that this behavior is accurate to real life and there’s no way to turn off these features at all? There are systems in cars like ABS and Traction Control), but they are usually can be disabled. I expected something similar here as well.

PS Are you sure that’s not a simplification of the sim?

The Hornet, like most fighter aircraft of its generation and later, is aerodynamically unstable and would be impossible to control without the fly-by-wire system.

Supersonic jets are not cars. :slight_smile:

Most military jets are inherently unstable and the fly-by-wire computers manage the control surfaces. You can’t disable the auto flaps as it’s part of their ‘not killing the pilot’ systems.

Wings and control surfaces designed for supersonic flight don’t provide the same lift as, say, a Cessna and have to account for airflow separation. The flaps in the F-18 are likely balancing out the constantly changing center of lift too. You may want to watch this video:

The fly by wire system is inherently part of the aircraft. I think the better question is, “are the flaps deploying in an overcorrecting nature?”

There are moments where the flaps become more of a burden than an assist. Most likely this is just an issue with the way the fly by wire system has been coded, it just needs some “tweeking.”

The little annoyances are similar to the DA-40 NG in the sim. I instructed in those for well over 500 hours and even landed one in the desert when the turbo failed. The coding for the fadec in the sim needs work.

I am interested to see how many of these aircraft, the F-18 especially, behave when Sim Update 8 brings Computational Fluid Dynamics into the sim.

As I understand it, auto flaps on an F-18 are only supposed to come into play during non-cruise (fast changing) conditions (such as takeoff) and only when asked for and ‘not be wiggling’ every time a pilot makes a power or attitude adjustment. Last I heard “power controls altitude, pitch controls airspeed.” If flaps get into the game ‘unasked for’, then the pilot never will be able to get a particular airspeed and altitude set. Does this make sense to anyone?

That isn’t how the fly-by-wire works. The F-18 system constantly adjusts the wing configuration for the flight condition. It adjusts the elevators to provide changes in pitch as commanded by the pilot. Except when wheels down, increasing in power produces no pitch up of the flight path, and reducing it produces no pitch down (within normal operating limits of course - there are AoA limits) Hands off, it is ‘trimmed’ to 1 G. The aircraft is aerodynamically unstable, with the desired level of ‘stability’ being provided by fly-by-wire feedback. Any changes in trim due to flap movements are dealt with automatically as a normal consequence of the way the system operates.

In landing configuration, it more closely emulates a conventional aircraft - you trim for airspeed, and adjust throttle for rate of descent. Presumably it is done this way to make precise on-speed-and-angle carrier landings easier.

The Hornet does differ in that regard, in Powered Approach mode it trims specifically for AoA. As you mentioned this done to make it easier to land with an optimum hook to deck angle and reduce the chances of a bolter.

I accept all that you say, so let me put it this way. Before my FSX ‘broke’ about two months ago (never to be restored again, I suppose), I flew the VRS F/A-18E ‘Superbug’ for over 2000 hours over at least two years. Never a carrier pilot when I was in the Marines over 50 years ago, by referring to NATOPS manuals, I first taught myself how to land a T-28C on a carrier, learned to do the same in a T-2C, and finally spent most of my time after that with the aforementioned Superbug. The Superbug performed marvelously. I could set power and trim up and fly straight and level for a long time–almost as if I was on autopilot. Not so with the FS2020 F-18. Many times I worked meticulously to manually get the plane set on 300 kts at 3000 ft, set the trim, but within two minutes the plane would lose trim and begin a slow descent. That’s when I noticed (in external view), that for everything I did the flaps stayed in continuous motion 
 and not just a little bit, but a lot (flappin’ like a bird). Soon I also discovered that whether I set flaps at half or full (by the cockpit indicators), the flaps (externally) always extended to full. Ever since, I’ve always wondered at what flaps setting the flight model was flying at: half or full. This F-18 has comparatively little functionality implemented, but I can live with that until (hopefully) some day that is improved. What I CAN’T live with is an airplane that won’t keep trim for more than about 15 seconds. Further comments would be much appreciated.

1 Like

I was describing the actual F-18. The MSFS model isn’t even remotely accurate in regard to flight modelling. If you want a better approximation try DCS.